New washing detergent for mirrors prior to aluminizing

  • Guy Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11 10:03 PM
      A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.

      Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
      http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
      http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
      ============================
    • Dave McGuire
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11 11:59 PM
        On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
        > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
        > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
        > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
        > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
        > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
        > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.

        I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
        lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.

        -Dave

        --
        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2012
          Hi,

          I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

          I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

          Charles Rydel

          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
          > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
          > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
          > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
          > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
          > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
          > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
          >
          > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
          > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          > --
          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          > New Kensington, PA

        • Guy Brandenburg
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
            You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

            Guy

            On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

            Hi,

            I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

            I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

            Charles Rydel

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
            > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
            > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
            > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
            > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
            > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
            > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
            >
            > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
            > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
            >
            > -Dave
            >
            > --
            > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            > New Kensington, PA

            =
          • Charles Rydel
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
              Hi,

              The aime for sure is to do it before aluminize. Is it enough to wash with alconax before and then to alumining or the mirror must be whashed with something else ?

              Bien à vous,

              Charles Rydel

              You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

              Guy

              On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

              I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

              Charles Rydel

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

              > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
              > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
              > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
              > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
              > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
              > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
              > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
              >
              > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
              > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              =

            • Guy Brandenburg

                You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                Guy

                On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                Hi,

                I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                Charles Rydel

                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                >
                > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                >
                > -Dave
                >
                > --
                > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                > New Kensington, PA

                =

                =
              • Charles Rydel
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                  Hi,

                  That's the only think to do ? Whashed with alconox then water and the, in the belljare ?

                  Bien à vous,

                  Charles Rydel

                  You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                  Guy

                  On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                  Hi,

                  I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                  I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                  Charles Rydel

                  --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                  > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                  > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                  > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                  > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                  > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                  > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                  >
                  > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                  > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                  >
                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  > New Kensington, PA

                  =

                  =

                • Charles Rydel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                    Hi again,

                    At the end the book is out, have a look here : http://www.astrosurf.com/telastrograf/

                    Bien à vous,

                    Charles Rydel

                    You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                    Guy

                    On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                    Hi,

                    I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                    I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                    Charles Rydel

                    --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                    > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                    > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                    > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                    > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                    > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                    > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                    > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                    >
                    > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                    > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                    >
                    > -Dave
                    >
                    > --
                    > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    > New Kensington, PA

                    =

                  • Guy Brandenburg

                      You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                      Guy

                      On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                      Hi,

                      I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                      I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                      Charles Rydel

                      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                      > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                      > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                      > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                      > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                      > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                      > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                      > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                      >
                      > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                      > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                      >
                      > -Dave
                      >
                      > --
                      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      > New Kensington, PA

                      =

                      =

                      =
                    • Guy Brandenburg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                        Great! Not too many Americans will be able to read them, however.
                        I wonder how much it will cost to order them and have them shipped to the USA.
                        Formidable! (en francais - en anglais ca ne veut rien dire!)

                        Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
                        http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
                        ============================

                        You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                        Guy

                        On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                        Hi,

                        I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                        I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                        Charles Rydel

                        --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                        > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                        > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                        > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                        > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                        > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                        > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                        > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                        >
                        > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                        > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                        >
                        > -Dave
                        >
                        > --
                        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        > New Kensington, PA

                        =

                      • Charles Rydel
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                          around 30$ I presume. You can buy it trough astrosurf or Amazon.fr (not US !)

                          Bien à vous,

                          Charles Rydel

                          You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                          Guy

                          On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                          Hi,

                          I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                          I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                          Charles Rydel

                          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                          > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                          > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                          > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                          > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                          > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                          > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                          > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                          >
                          > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                          > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                          >
                          > -Dave
                          >
                          > --
                          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          > New Kensington, PA

                          =

                        • Charles Rydel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                            Calcium carbonate is chalk. Pure alcool can help too. What I want is to obviate the use of nitric acide.

                            Bien à vous,

                            Charles Rydel

                            You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                            Guy

                            On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                            Hi,

                            I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                            I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                            Charles Rydel

                            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                            > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                            > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                            > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                            > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                            > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                            > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                            > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                            >
                            > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                            > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                            >
                            > -Dave
                            >
                            > --
                            > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            > New Kensington, PA

                            =

                            =

                            =

                          • Guy Brandenburg
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 15, 2012
                              Some people do use nitric acid, but I think it's too scary, and not necessary either. Yes, some places, like Mount Wilson, do use chalk aka calcium carbonate to help with the cleaning. When I switched to alconox, I found the CaCO3 no longer necessary at all.

                              Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
                              http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
                              ============================

                              Calcium carbonate is chalk. Pure alcool can help too. What I want is to obviate the use of nitric acide.

                              Bien à vous,

                              Charles Rydel

                              You use the alconox solution BEFORE aluminizing. Or at least that's what we did. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that if you use it on an already-aluminizers mirror, it might remove the aluminum.

                              Guy

                              On Sep 14, 2012, at 18:58, "rydel_charles" <rydel_charles@...> wrote:

                              Hi,

                              I am a newcomer interested in that stuff.

                              I would have been interesred to know if I could directly after that aluminize thz mirror or I will have something to do ?

                              Charles Rydel

                              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                              > On 07/12/2012 01:03 AM, Guy Brandenburg wrote:
                              > > A friend of mine suggested Alconox as a new cleaning agent for use on
                              > > mirrors prior to aluminization. I have tried it and found that it seems
                              > > to work many, many times faster and more effectively at producing a
                              > > mirror that the water flows off of like a sheet. No other detergent
                              > > comes close. Nobody paid me anything for this testimonial; I don't know
                              > > if anybody on this list has tried the stuff.
                              >
                              > I second this recommendation. I've used Alconox for years to clean
                              > lab glassware and related items. It's good stuff.
                              >
                              > -Dave
                              >
                              > --
                              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              > New Kensington, PA