coating thickness error tolerance

  • deepak
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 13, 2011
      Hi,
      This is my first post in the group. I want to know the tolerance in thickness variation (in nm) of Aluminium coating, acceptable and expected from professional and amateur coaters.

      Mr Jan van Gastel in interferometry group has finished a mirror accurate to <5nm. So I think coating error introduced in 100 nm film thickness would be less than 1 nm. Is such precision achieved routinely by coaters in this group?
      Thanks and with regards,
      Deepak
      Ahmedabad, India
    • Vladimir Chutko
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 13, 2011
        Hi,

        Coating uniformity depends on substrate holder type (single or planetary
        rotation), chamber dimensions, evaporator position, coated surface shape
        and some other factors. For industrial coating machines with single
        rotated substrate holder coating uniformity less than 5% is usually
        specified. For machines with substrate holder double planetary rotation
        the thickness uniformity about or even less than 1% is available,
        sometimes the extra rotating mask is used. However it doesn't mean that
        you can obtain so high uniformity for any coating made of any materials.
        Uniformity also depends on evaporated material distribution in the
        chamber volume which may vary for different materials and during a time
        of evaporation. We usually obtain uniformity in mass production of
        e-beam evaporated multilayer dielectric coatings (not the thickness but
        optical properties, it is close but not the same) less than 2% in the
        chamber Dia.72"x72" with double planetary rotating substrate holder and
        rotating mask. But not for all coatings, for some of them less than 1%,
        for some - about 5%.

        Best regards,

        Vladimir Chutko

        On 4/13/2011 12:06 AM, deepak wrote:
        > Hi,
        > This is my first post in the group. I want to know the tolerance in thickness variation (in nm) of Aluminium coating, acceptable and expected from professional and amateur coaters.
        >
        > Mr Jan van Gastel in interferometry group has finished a mirror accurate to<5nm. So I think coating error introduced in 100 nm film thickness would be less than 1 nm. Is such precision achieved routinely by coaters in this group?
        > Thanks and with regards,
        > Deepak
        > Ahmedabad, India

      • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ESC-620)[QinetiQ
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 13, 2011

          I have a sideways flow stationary emitter array that seems to yield good results.  I recently added a digital thickness indicator to my rig so now have actual numbers to put to the thickness.  Using a witness plate, I am just barely able to see the noon day sun thru the coating with about 140 nm of aluminum deposited.  This number is from my digital thickness unit that Ken Hunter built so I got a lot of faith in the number.   I deposit about 10 nm per second and run the unit for about 15 seconds.   I personally like to put on more aluminum ( like 350 nm ) because I don’t overcoat and thin coatings don’t last as long.  The experts say ¼ wave of red 550 nm light  ( around 140 nm ) is ideal.

          Hope it helps

          Drew in sunny Florida

          Coating uniformity depends on substrate holder type (single or planetary
          rotation), chamber dimensions, evaporator position, coated surface shape
          and some other factors. For industrial coating machines with single
          rotated substrate holder coating uniformity less than 5% is usually
          specified. For machines with substrate holder double planetary rotation
          the thickness uniformity about or even less than 1% is available,
          sometimes the extra rotating mask is used. However it doesn't mean that
          you can obtain so high uniformity for any coating made of any materials.
          Uniformity also depends on evaporated material distribution in the
          chamber volume which may vary for different materials and during a time
          of evaporation. We usually obtain uniformity in mass production of
          e-beam evaporated multilayer dielectric coatings (not the thickness but
          optical properties, it is close but not the same) less than 2% in the
          chamber Dia.72"x72" with double planetary rotating substrate holder and
          rotating mask. But not for all coatings, for some of them less than 1%,
          for some - about 5%.

          Best regards,

          Vladimir Chutko

          On 4/13/2011 12:06 AM, deepak wrote:
          > Hi,
          > This is my first post in the group. I want to know the tolerance in thickness variation (in nm) of Aluminium coating, acceptable and expected from professional and amateur coaters.
          >
          > Mr Jan van Gastel in interferometry group has finished a mirror accurate to<5nm. So I think coating error introduced in 100 nm film thickness would be less than 1 nm. Is such precision achieved routinely by coaters in this group?
          > Thanks and with regards,
          > Deepak
          > Ahmedabad, India

        • Guy Brandenburg
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 13, 2011
            From trial and error (not by calculation) I have found that a one-inch long piece of nearly-pure aluminum wire about 3-4 mm in diameter works best for us. (I'll recheck those measurements later) it's about 1/5 to 1/3 cubic cm I think.
            We have a single tungsten filament about 60 cm from the mirro suspended overhead in our bell jar.
            I figure, using 4*pi*r^2 for the area of a two foot radius sphere that the aluminum is spread over an area of 45,239 sq cm. Sp this roughly 0.3 cc of Al is spread to a thickness of something like 80 nm if I did all the conversions correctly.
            As I said, I need to check the weight/mass of the wire that we typically use.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 13, 2011, at 9:45 AM, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ESC-620)[QinetiQ North America - ESC]"<andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

            I have a sideways flow stationary emitter array that seems to yield good results.  I recently added a digital thickness indicator to my rig so now have actual numbers to put to the thickness.  Using a witness plate, I am just barely able to see the noon day sun thru the coating with about 140 nm of aluminum deposited.  This number is from my digital thickness unit that Ken Hunter built so I got a lot of faith in the number.   I deposit about 10 nm per second and run the unit for about 15 seconds.   I personally like to put on more aluminum ( like 350 nm ) because I don’t overcoat and thin coatings don’t last as long.  The experts say ¼ wave of red 550 nm light  ( around 140 nm ) is ideal.

            Hope it helps

            Drew in sunny Florida

            Coating uniformity depends on substrate holder type (single or planetary
            rotation), chamber dimensions, evaporator position, coated surface shape
            and some other factors. For industrial coating machines with single
            rotated substrate holder coating uniformity less than 5% is usually
            specified. For machines with substrate holder double planetary rotation
            the thickness uniformity about or even less than 1% is available,
            sometimes the extra rotating mask is used. However it doesn't mean that
            you can obtain so high uniformity for any coating made of any materials.
            Uniformity also depends on evaporated material distribution in the
            chamber volume which may vary for different materials and during a time
            of evaporation. We usually obtain uniformity in mass production of
            e-beam evaporated multilayer dielectric coatings (not the thickness but
            optical properties, it is close but not the same) less than 2% in the
            chamber Dia.72"x72" with double planetary rotating substrate holder and
            rotating mask. But not for all coatings, for some of them less than 1%,
            for some - about 5%.

            Best regards,

            Vladimir Chutko

            On 4/13/2011 12:06 AM, deepak wrote:
            > Hi,
            > This is my first post in the group. I want to know the tolerance in thickness variation (in nm) of Aluminium coating, acceptable and expected from professional and amateur coaters.
            >
            > Mr Jan van Gastel in interferometry group has finished a mirror accurate to<5nm. So I think coating error introduced in 100 nm film thickness would be less than 1 nm. Is such precision achieved routinely by coaters in this group?
            > Thanks and with regards,
            > Deepak
            > Ahmedabad, India

          • Guy Brandenburg
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 13, 2011
              I am trying to figure out about depositing 140 nm on glass .

              Please recheck this for me.

              I rechecked my measurements, and my arithmetic, and it seems to me that I would need to evaporate 0.044 cm^3 of aluminum to get that thickness, which sounds kinda low.

              The distance from my coil to the mirror is 20" or 50cm. The imaginary sphere with that radius has a surface area of 4*pi*r^2 or 31416 square cm.

               To a decent first approximation, the thickness Of the coating will equal the volume of the aluminum being vaporized (in cc) divided by the surface area of that sphere.

              140 nm is 140e-9 m or 1.4e-5 cm. That thickness times the surface of 3.1416e4 cm^2 gives me a volume of 0.44 cc.

              The sg of aluminum is about 2.7g/cc. So that volume of aluminum would weigh about 1.2 grams.

              I find by weighing that 7" of my wire weighs (ok, has a mass of) about 4 grams, so 1" would weigh about .6g, which is what I've been using. So my coatings are too thin?

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Apr 13, 2011, at 9:45 AM, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ESC-620)[QinetiQ North America - ESC]"<andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

              I have a sideways flow stationary emitter array that seems to yield good results.  I recently added a digital thickness indicator to my rig so now have actual numbers to put to the thickness.  Using a witness plate, I am just barely able to see the noon day sun thru the coating with about 140 nm of aluminum deposited.  This number is from my digital thickness unit that Ken Hunter built so I got a lot of faith in the number.   I deposit about 10 nm per second and run the unit for about 15 seconds.   I personally like to put on more aluminum ( like 350 nm ) because I don’t overcoat and thin coatings don’t last as long.  The experts say ¼ wave of red 550 nm light  ( around 140 nm ) is ideal.

              Hope it helps

              Drew in sunny Florida

              Coating uniformity depends on substrate holder type (single or planetary
              rotation), chamber dimensions, evaporator position, coated surface shape
              and some other factors. For industrial coating machines with single
              rotated substrate holder coating uniformity less than 5% is usually
              specified. For machines with substrate holder double planetary rotation
              the thickness uniformity about or even less than 1% is available,
              sometimes the extra rotating mask is used. However it doesn't mean that
              you can obtain so high uniformity for any coating made of any materials.
              Uniformity also depends on evaporated material distribution in the
              chamber volume which may vary for different materials and during a time
              of evaporation. We usually obtain uniformity in mass production of
              e-beam evaporated multilayer dielectric coatings (not the thickness but
              optical properties, it is close but not the same) less than 2% in the
              chamber Dia.72"x72" with double planetary rotating substrate holder and
              rotating mask. But not for all coatings, for some of them less than 1%,
              for some - about 5%.

              Best regards,

              Vladimir Chutko

              On 4/13/2011 12:06 AM, deepak wrote:
              > Hi,
              > This is my first post in the group. I want to know the tolerance in thickness variation (in nm) of Aluminium coating, acceptable and expected from professional and amateur coaters.
              >
              > Mr Jan van Gastel in interferometry group has finished a mirror accurate to<5nm. So I think coating error introduced in 100 nm film thickness would be less than 1 nm. Is such precision achieved routinely by coaters in this group?
              > Thanks and with regards,
              > Deepak
              > Ahmedabad, India

            • deepak
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                Thanks Vladimir, Andrew and Guy for making the technicalities clear and giving relevant usage data.

                Andrew, the term "sideways flow stationary emitter array" seems contradictory to me, do you have a photograph?

                Guy, Your calculations seem correct to me. One typing error in the third sentence, 0.044cm^3 should have been 0.44cc as mentioned later.

                Your setup made me think, if emitter is placed at the Radius of curvature of the mirror it will coat the mirror uniformly. Just as illumination from a bulb brought close to a flat wall falls off by 1/r^2 law from the closest point on the wall, the thickness of coating will fall of at the edge.
                I calculated:
                If ROC of 20cm dia mirror being coated is 200 cm(F/5),
                Thickness of film at center proportional to (1/50^2)
                Edge of mirror raised by 0.25cm with respect to centre.
                Edge should have been raised by 1.0 cm for ROC of 50cm
                Difference of 0.75 cm is the distance Al atoms travel farther to reach the mirror.
                So thickness at edge proportional to (1/50.75^2)
                So the edge will be 2.925% thinner than the center if emitter is at a distance of 50cm instead of 200 cm. No great error.
                Thanks and with regards
                Deepak

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011

                  Guy,

                  I don’t think you can be accurate enough with volume calcs.  There is loss to the emitter itself and there is tungsten mixture losses.  I see a kind of crystalline build up near the ends of my emitters that is a tungsten aluminum kind of mess.  Is getting a thickness indicator totally out of the question ???  They are kinda pricy but if you need exactly 140 nm then I don’t see how you are going to get around it.    Check out “K. L. Lesker” they cary a full line of thin film indication systems.

                  Drew

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011

                    Pics of “baby George” are in the photos section under “Drew in sunny Florida”.

                    The door to my chamber swings sideways on a hinge.  I put my mirrors on the door.  The flow of metal gas in my chamber is horizontal ( towards the door ) as opposed to hanging a mirror on ceiling and flowing the metal gas vertically ( upward ).  I do not rotate my mirror.  I have 9 emitter stations in a circle with a center unit.  They are stationary.  Rotation of mirrors is a tricky way of getting an even coating.  If you only have one source, then you have rotationally induced overlap of some kind.  That overlap may become a problem if the deposition rate is high.   In my system, I have 9 sources that each overlap the others to some degree.  The edges of the overlap are very much blended so I don’t see a lot of coating variation.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                      Agreed, there is a crystalline buildup over time of aluminum at the ends of the tungsten filament ,,,
                      I am not at all sure what the thickness OUGHT to be.
                      I found that when I used a lot more aluminum, results were not pretty. Maybe I should experiment again...

                      Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
                      http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
                      ============================

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                        The photographs are very informative and Baby George is beautiful
                        Thanks
                        Deepak

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5, 2011
                          Hi All,

                          I am in urgent need to sale vacuum chamber: Leybold A700, framed, with
                          installed gate valve, LN2 trap, two-ways roughing valve, transformer
                          for resistive evaporators, water and compressed air communications.
                          Chamber is clean, painted, gate/valve reassembled and cleaned, no visual
                          defects obtained. Plus some other small staff (feedthroughs, tooling,
                          etc) available. Plus diffusion pump DIP3000 for that chamber - Leybold
                          brand produced in Russia, brand new in manufacturer's not opened package
                          (no oil filled and no heater cartridges installed!).

                          Picture and more detailed information on request.

                          Thanks,

                          Vladimir Chutko
                        • brian whatcott
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5, 2011
                            How much is it?

                            On 5/5/2011 3:26 PM, Vladimir Chutko wrote:
                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > I am in urgent need to sale vacuum chamber: Leybold A700, framed, with
                            > installed gate valve, LN2 trap, two-ways roughing valve, transformer
                            > for resistive evaporators, water and compressed air communications.
                            > Chamber is clean, painted, gate/valve reassembled and cleaned, no visual
                            > defects obtained. Plus some other small staff (feedthroughs, tooling,
                            > etc) available. Plus diffusion pump DIP3000 for that chamber - Leybold
                            > brand produced in Russia, brand new in manufacturer's not opened package
                            > (no oil filled and no heater cartridges installed!).
                            >
                            > Picture and more detailed information on request.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Vladimir Chutko

                          • Zafar Iqbal
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5, 2011