Baby George learns to sprint

  • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[Qineti
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 11:18 AM
      Hey gang,

      I finally got around to putting a water chiller on my coolant loop for the diffusion pumps and it made a big difference.  I now have to insulate the water jackets because they get so cold they sweat.  The water in the jacket is like 32 degrees now.  The pump down time with the heaters on went from 4+ hours to about 45 minutes and the overall vacuum seems devoid of oil vapor.  I saw no soot on the windows for the first time ever.  I only have the one run to judge by ( using the new coolant system )  but it really looks like it makes a huge difference in the chamber’s abilities.

      Drew in smoky FLA

    • Thomas Janstrom

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 11:29 AM

          Thomas,

          It is one big loop that cools the cold plates ( oil vapor traps ) and the water jackets on the diff pumps

          Hey did I see on the news that your area was hit by a hurricane ???  Are you ok ???  You are in North Queensland right ???

          Drew

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2 2:06 PM
            Thomas...

            If my memory isn't totally bananas, I sent you a Diffusion pump, a cooled chevron baffle and a gate valve in a large crate a few years back. You should have everything that Drew is mentioning.

            Ken - KB7H

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[QinetiQ North America - ESC]" <andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

            > Thomas,
            >
            > It is one big loop that cools the cold plates ( oil vapor traps ) and the water jackets on the diff pumps
            >
            > Hey did I see on the news that your area was hit by a hurricane ??? Are you ok ??? You are in North Queensland right ???
            >
            > Drew

          • Guy Brandenburg
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2 2:40 PM
              Ken, do you have any mechanical vacuum pump oil?

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 2, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "Ken" <atm_ken_hunter@...> wrote:

              Thomas...

              If my memory isn't totally bananas, I sent you a Diffusion pump, a cooled chevron baffle and a gate valve in a large crate a few years back. You should have everything that Drew is mentioning.

              Ken - KB7H

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[QinetiQ North America - ESC]" <andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

              > Thomas,
              >
              > It is one big loop that cools the cold plates ( oil vapor traps ) and the water jackets on the diff pumps
              >
              > Hey did I see on the news that your area was hit by a hurricane ??? Are you ok ??? You are in North Queensland right ???
              >
              > Drew

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2 3:01 PM
                Yes...

                I bought 2 Gallons of Robbinaire High Vacuum pump oil on eBay a couple years ago I think it's used on refrigeration pumps mainly but would work OK in a pinch. I also have a half liter of KRYTOX and somewhere (I haven't run across it yet), almost a gallon of Dow 704...

                I hope that hasn't disappeared like my box of filaments, feedthroughs, view ports, etc. I hate it when I can remember having something but not where I put it for safekeeping.

                Ken - KB7H

                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Guy Brandenburg <gfbrandenburg@...> wrote:

                > Ken, do you have any mechanical vacuum pump oil?
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Mar 2, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "Ken" <atm_ken_hunter@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thomas...
                > >
                > > If my memory isn't totally bananas, I sent you a Diffusion pump, a cooled chevron baffle and a gate valve in a large crate a few years back. You should have everything that Drew is mentioning.
                > >
                > > Ken - KB7H
                > >
                > > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[QinetiQ North America - ESC]" <andrew.n.aurigema@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thomas,
                > > >
                > > > It is one big loop that cools the cold plates ( oil vapor traps ) and the water jackets on the diff pumps
                > > >
                > > > Hey did I see on the news that your area was hit by a hurricane ??? Are you ok ??? You are in North Queensland right ???
                > > >
                > > > Drew

              • Thomas Janstrom
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2 3:57 PM
                  Yep, and all fitted to the chamber and stand, but sadly still in storage, was just about ready to do a first pump down test when I had to move, three plus years ago. I NEED A SHED!

                  Drew, the hurricane was ~1100miles north of my present location, thankfully! Didn't I help you install those baffles? I seem to remember doing something along those lines.....

                  Well I guess it's about time I got my gear packed and headed off to uni.

                  Thomas.