Skip to search.

Anybody home?

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2011
      It's been a while since we've had any activity on the Group. Should I shut it down?

      Anyone interested in the rest of my stuff? Pumps, baseplate, valves, gauges, ION tubes, Gauge controllers, etc.

      I am for sure getting rid of my vacuum stuff and if there's no interest, this stuff is going on eBay.

      Ken Hunter
    • Christopher Erickson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2011
        Don't shut the group down! If you don't want it, transfer
        ownership to me!

        It is the only forum on vacuum technology that I have found
        anyplace.

        -Christopher Erickson
        Telecom Engineer
        Waikoloa, HI 96738, N19°57' W155°47'
        16" f10 Meade LX200GPS SCT
        10" f3.8 Newt, Losmandy G-11 & Autostar 497
        120ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP-DX & Autostar 497
        5" f8 SCT Meade, iOptron Cube Pro
        80ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP & Autostar 497
        www.data-plumber.com
        www.roboscope.net

      • A
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2011
          Please dont shut the group down.

          Ali Khan
          Lahore Pakistan

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21, 2011
            Please do not close the group.  This is the only stage where wone can get basic to advance knowledge on vacuum

            Regards

            Zafar Iqbal

            To: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
            From: christopher.k.erickson@...
            Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:25:19 -1000
            Subject: RE: [VacuumX] Anybody home?

            Don't shut the group down! If you don't want it, transfer
            ownership to me!

            It is the only forum on vacuum technology that I have found
            anyplace.

            -Christopher Erickson
            Telecom Engineer
            Waikoloa, HI 96738, N19°57' W155°47'
            16" f10 Meade LX200GPS SCT
            10" f3.8 Newt, Losmandy G-11 & Autostar 497
            120ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP-DX & Autostar 497
            5" f8 SCT Meade, iOptron Cube Pro
            80ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP & Autostar 497
            www.data-plumber.com
            www.roboscope.net

          • Russell Shaw
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
              On 22/02/11 15:03, Ken wrote:
              > It's been a while since we've had any activity on the Group. Should I shut it down?
              >
              > Anyone interested in the rest of my stuff? Pumps, baseplate, valves, gauges, ION tubes, Gauge controllers, etc.
              >
              > I am for sure getting rid of my vacuum stuff and if there's no interest, this stuff is going on eBay.

              I haven't done any vacuum stuff yet because i'm too busy. I like to have this
              group to use later on though. I'll try and store away any unwanted vacuum gear
              but i'm probably a long way away.
            • Guy Brandenburg
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                Please don't shut it down. I learned something on it recently that made aluminizing mirrors with our old surplus vacuum chamber much, much easier.

                Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
                http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
                http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
                ============================

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                  Ken,
                  What sort of mechanical pump do you have? and do you have any oil for one?

                  To: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
                  From: christopher.k.erickson@...
                  Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:25:19 -1000

                  Don't shut the group down! If you don't want it, transfer
                  ownership to me!

                  It is the only forum on vacuum technology that I have found
                  anyplace.

                  -Christopher Erickson
                  Telecom Engineer
                  Waikoloa, HI 96738, N19°57' W155°47'
                  16" f10 Meade LX200GPS SCT
                  10" f3.8 Newt, Losmandy G-11 & Autostar 497
                  120ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP-DX & Autostar 497
                  5" f8 SCT Meade, iOptron Cube Pro
                  80ED f8 Orion, Vixen GP & Autostar 497
                  www.data-plumber.com
                  www.roboscope.net

                • Thomas Janstrom
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                    Hi Ken,

                    Just plain been too busy with other things, like college.... Most of my life is now back in boxes so I can keep my focus where it needs to be, on my books.

                    Still able to run this group so long as traffic stay nice and low <grin> actually I was wondering why it was so quite just the other day, but at the time I was on my way to a chem 101 lecture so couldn't do much about it and after it just slipped my mind.

                    Just to keep the activity up why don't we all just spend a moment and tell each other what we've all been up to?

                    I'm happy to go first: late last year I decided to go back to college and study biomedical science, which is now keeping me very busy, maybe a mite too busy, but what can I do? Apparently it gets easier to manage the further into the course you get so I just have to stick with it a while longer and it should all be sweet.

                    So what's everyone else up to?

                    Cheers, Thomas.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                      On 22/02/11 22:55, Thomas Janstrom wrote:

                      > Hi Ken,
                      >
                      > Just plain been too busy with other things, like college.... Most of my
                      > life is now back in boxes so I can keep my focus where it needs to be,
                      > on my books.
                      >
                      > Still able to run this group so long as traffic stay nice and low <grin>
                      > actually I was wondering why it was so quite just the other day, but at
                      > the time I was on my way to a chem 101 lecture so couldn't do much about
                      > it and after it just slipped my mind.
                      >
                      > Just to keep the activity up why don't we all just spend a moment and
                      > tell each other what we've all been up to?
                      >
                      > I'm happy to go first: late last year I decided to go back to college
                      > and study biomedical science, which is now keeping me very busy, maybe a
                      > mite too busy, but what can I do? Apparently it gets easier to manage
                      > the further into the course you get so I just have to stick with it a
                      > while longer and it should all be sweet.
                      >
                      > So what's everyone else up to?

                      I was interested in vacuum molding of plastic, and varnish impregnation
                      of transformers. I got a general interest in making mirrors and optic
                      things too.
                    • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[ASRC A
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011

                        Ken,

                        With the demise of the Space program ( for reasons unknown to any of us in it ) I have been really hitting the mirror business.  I now have full up production capability for foam glass fusion mirrors up to 0.65 meter ( 25 inch ) that weigh around 22 pounds.   I do it all at my hanger factory.  I just got a batch of mirrors thru figure and ready for aluminizing so  plan to fire up the chamber soon.  I have all the upgrades made to try out overcoating so maybe I will get it to work this time.

                        Drew in sunny Florida

                      • James Blackett
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                          Hi,

                          I dont use this group much, but I have had some really useful information in the past - so dont shut it down. My interest in vacuum stems from power cable manufacturing processes. I have been much involved in the drying & impregnation of paper cables with insulating media. I was also involved in the maintainace of the pumping systems and also locating leaks on the equipment with an Edwards mass spec leak detector. Manufacturing industry in the uk seems to have gone down hill recently and my present employment doesn't involve vacuum work (mores the pity).

                          keep up the good work

                          James

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 22, 2011
                            Where's the current list of stuff available?  Thanks.

                            --
                            Nick A

                            "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

                            "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

                            "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

                            "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato