Re: [NOVAC] Recoating a really BIG mirror

  • Guy Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2011
      Wow.
      We strip our mirrors at the NCA_CCCC ATM workshop in a very similar fashion to what they did in this video:

      Seriously!!!
      Never thought to use mops, though. We tend to use cotton balls instead. I just don't see any need for mops, somehow. Then again, we don't do very many 20-meter mirrors.

      The only things we don't do:
      add KOH to the CaCO3 solution
      use HNO3 afterwards.

      I'll try those.

      I was more than a bit surprised that it did not look to me as if they were wearing masks when using the HCl + CuSO4 step ('green river) or the HNO3. Maybe I wasn't looking closely. I always have fans on when we use that.kind of stuff; it hurts my nasal passages...

      Could anybody figure out what sort of towels those were?

      Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC

      My blog, mostly on Education in DC:
      http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/

      My home page on astronomy, mathematics, education:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
      or else
      http://tinyurl.com/r6fh2
      =====================================

      From: Robert E. Ridgley <2102dex3624@...>
      Subject: [NOVAC] Recoating a really BIG mirror
      To: "'Northern Virginia Astronomy Club'" <novac@...>
      Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 2:10 PM

      Thought these two links to videos showing the cleaning and recoating of the
      6.5 meter primary mirror of the MMTO (Multiple Mirror Telescope Observatory,
      a joint facility of the Smithsonian Institution and the University of
      Arizona) at Mt Whipple in Tucson, Arizona would be interesting.

      Mirror cleaning and stripping, note the mops and paper towels:

      http://mmto.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/mmt-primary-mirror-coating-removed-for-
      re-aluminization/

      Mirror recoating:

      http://www.mmto.org/node/363

      General information about the MMTO if you are interested:

      http://www.mmto.org/

      Hope you find this interesting,

      Bob Ridgley

    • SVC

        Thought these two links to videos showing the cleaning and recoating of the
        6.5 meter primary mirror of the MMTO (Multiple Mirror Telescope Observatory,
        a joint facility of the Smithsonian Institution and the University of
        Arizona) at Mt Whipple in Tucson, Arizona would be interesting.

        Mirror cleaning and stripping, note the mops and paper towels:

        http://mmto.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/mmt-primary-mirror-coating-removed-for-
        re-aluminization/

        Mirror recoating:

        http://www.mmto.org/node/363

        General information about the MMTO if you are interested:

        http://www.mmto.org/

        Hope you find this interesting,

        Bob Ridgley

        ____________________________________
        Donald M. Mattox
        Society of Vacuum Coaters
        71 Pinon Hill Place NE
        Albuquerque, NM  87122-1914

        Telephone 505/856-7188
        FAX 505/856-6716
        E-mail donmattox@...
        WebSite  http://www.svc.org
      • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[ASRC A
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2011

          That is a cool video.  I have stripped and recoated my 28” ( 230 pounds ) mirrors a few times now.  It is not as cool as the movie but still a project.  I tend to have tungsten products on my mirror as a result of being an amateur coater so I do a wipe with wet cerium oxide before my calcium carbonate scrub.   It leaves the mirror ready to become shiny again :_))))

          I put a few pics of the process on the groups photo section ( Photo Albums > Drew in sunny Florida ).  There are a few of them to look at but here is the first one.

          Drew