RF versus DC for Generating Plasma

  • arainho_cl
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18 7:11 PM
      Hi All,

      Could some one eligthen me on the difference of using HV DC and RF for plasma generation. What are the pro and cons of each method.

      Thanks,

      Alfredo
    • Vladimir Chutko
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18 8:01 PM
        Hi Alfredo,

        In general, the both are just different methods to supply energy to
        ionize a gas and support the gas discharge - plasma. When you supply DC
        (it may be both high voltage and low voltage with external electrons
        emitter), electrons accelerate in electrical field to get energy which
        is necessary to ionize a gas molecule, when you supply RF, electrons are
        accelerated in RF (usually 13.56 MHz) field. There also may be MF
        (middle frequency, 40 - 100 kHz) plasma. The each method device design,
        pros and cons strongly depend on your application.

        Best regards,

        Vladimir Chutko, Ph.D.
        VECOR
        101 Duranzo Aisle, Irvine, CA92606, USA
        Phone: +1-949-394-4466
        Fax: +1-949-451-6813
        info@...
        www.vecorus.com

        arainho_cl wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >

        > Could some one eligthen me on the difference of using HV DC and RF for plasma generation. What are the pro and cons of each method.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alfredo

      • Thomas Janstrom
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18 8:15 PM
          That and costs, DC high voltage is usually cheaper to do than RF.....

          arainho_cl wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >

          > Could some one eligthen me on the difference of using HV DC and RF for plasma generation. What are the pro and cons of each method.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Alfredo

        • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[ASRC A
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19 5:02 AM

            15 kv AC is a lot easier and cheaper to make.  There are endless 15kv “beer sign” transformers out on Ebay for sale.  15kv DC is just rectified AC so you get about the same thing only with the rectifier losses.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20 9:09 AM
              The most fundamental human right is ownership
              of your own body. If you may not do with it
              however you please, you are not yet free.

              On Thu Aug 19 6:02 , 'Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-474)[ASRC AEROSPACE]'
              <andrew.n.aurigema@...> sent:

              >15 kv AC is a lot easier and cheaper to make.�� There are endless
              >15kv ���beer sign��� transformers out on Ebay for sale.�� 15kv DC is just rectified
              >AC so you get about the same thing only with the rectifier losses.��

              Er, something like that.

              Full-wave rectified DC will be 1.414 X the RMS AV volts, so actually,
              15kVDC = 21.2 kV before rectifier losses -- which with modern rectifiers,
              may be much lower than you might expect. I've noticed that Vf is much lower
              now than it was in the HV rectifiers of ten or twenty years ago.