Electron beam gun

  • Attila
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2009
      Hi All!

      In a past few months I worked on a new project. A built a multi pocket electron beam gun for me. I has four water cooled crucible and water cooled cover plate. First I am going to operate it at 4KW later at 10Kw.
      Now everything is ready electronic and mechanic. In the next few week I am going to put toghether and test it. I put some pictures into my picture gallery of the gun.

      Attila

      The Hun
    • James Lerch
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2009
        Attila,

        We need VIDEO of the project! Off to go look at pictures in the mean
        time..

        Attila wrote:
        > Hi All!
        >
        > In a past few months I worked on a new project. A built a multi pocket electron beam gun for me. I has four water cooled crucible and water cooled cover plate. First I am going to operate it at 4KW later at 10Kw.
        > Now everything is ready electronic and mechanic. In the next few week I am going to put toghether and test it. I put some pictures into my picture gallery of the gun.
        >
        > Attila
        >
        > The Hun

        Take Care,
        James Lerch
        http://www.youtube.com/user/JlerchTampa (My helicopter crash videos and stuff)
        http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction,testing, and coating site)
        http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (My 15KW generator project)

        " Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
        Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
        Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
        Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
        Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "
      • James Lerch
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 11, 2009
          OK, how can we learn more about this? Who built it specifically, where
          did they source the components, and more importantly, how can I get my
          hands one one! :-)

          My RC Heli hobby is nearly over, and its time to build a multi layer
          thin film evaporation rig!

          --James

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
            Hi!

            So as the gun is fired I am gonna make video for you!

            Well I built the gun. That means , I designed the components,I manufactured,machined every component, including the rotatable watercooled crucibe, the rotatable water feedthrough, the magnetic pole pieces, baseplate, the magnetic sweep coils and its sweep control circut(not tested yet).Also I manufactured the emitter assembly(new design).So everything!

            The 1A@10KV 10KW HV power supply is under construction. Right now the gun will be fired using a surplus HV power supply 1A@4KV 4KW.Later I want to change to the 10Kw HV supply.I do the electrical design and build too.

            Every components or building element is available here in Hungary.

            Well If you are serious I can built one for you at fraction of price of the normal market prices, even under the surplus market prices!

            But first I want to fire the gun just make sure everything working properly, than I can build that much gun what your guys need!
            I think I can fire the gun in the next 2 weeks.

            If that project is over than I am gonna build a Ion source too, for Ion Beam Assisted Deposition, IBAD! I think you know how important is that feature if you want to coat big lenses with antireflection coating.

            If you need more info don't hesitate,ask!

            Attila
            The Hun

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, James Lerch <jlerch1@...> wrote:

            > OK, how can we learn more about this? Who built it specifically, where
            > did they source the components, and more importantly, how can I get my
            > hands one one! :-)
            >
            > My RC Heli hobby is nearly over, and its time to build a multi layer
            > thin film evaporation rig!
            >
            > --James
            >
            > Attila wrote:
            > > Hi All!
            > >
            > > In a past few months I worked on a new project. A built a multi pocket electron beam gun for me. I has four water cooled crucible and water cooled cover plate. First I am going to operate it at 4KW later at 10Kw.
            > > Now everything is ready electronic and mechanic. In the next few week I am going to put toghether and test it. I put some pictures into my picture gallery of the gun.
            > >
            > > Attila
            > >
            > > The Hun

            > --
            > Take Care,
            > James Lerch
            > http://www.youtube.com/user/JlerchTampa (My helicopter crash videos and stuff)
            > http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction,testing, and coating site)
            > http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (My 15KW generator project)
            >

            > " Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
            > Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
            > Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
            > Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
            > Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

          • Aaron A
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
              Hi Attila,

              Waiting for your videos, Im doing the electronic parts now from old microwave output power is 1.5kw just enough for melting TIO, ITO, Sio2 and Mg2f I think. but dont have the pocket. Im wondering how your pocket going to perform at that power. I have no tools to do my own pocket. Please let me know when its ready to watch your videos.
              BTW. What oxide are you going to test first?

              Regards,
              Aaron

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
                Hi Aaron!

                What kind of power do you want to use, microwave, or HV?

                Unfortunately the HV must be short circuit proof, preventing the arcing in the chamber. First I also wanted to use MOT for making HV but I realised that, I need a more complex power supply which is capable to adjust the voltage ampere and short circuit proof.

                My first oxid will be SIO, over the alumina layer.

                The pocket is made of 99.99% copper,but it has a very intense water cooling. That allows me to evaporate material directly from it.
                Actually this is not my idea, every e-gun manufacturer does this way.

                Attila
                The Hun

                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron A" <aydinnl2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > hands one one! :-)
                > > >
                > > > My RC Heli hobby is nearly over, and its time to build a multi layer
                > > > thin film evaporation rig!
                > > >
                > > > --James

                > > > --
                > > > Take Care,
                > > > James Lerch
                > > > http://www.youtube.com/user/JlerchTampa (My helicopter crash videos and stuff)
                > > > http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction,testing, and coating site)
                > > > http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (My 15KW generator project)
                > > >

                > > > " Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
                > > > Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
                > > > Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
                > > > Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
                > > > Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

              • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-491)[ASRC A
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009

                  Ummmmmmm………… could we drop back a bit and cover the basics of what is needed to do SiO overcoating with one of these electron beam gun things.

                  I have a Tantalum SiO boat and a monster transformer to make it glow white hot in the vacuum chamber but am too scard to fire that thing up.  Something about putting 1000 amps thru anything just worries me.

                   If there is a better way I would really like to hear about it.  Then I can get James to explain it to me while I watch him make his.

                  Drew in soggy Florida

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
                    Hi Attila,
                    From my calculations my HV is 0.45A 3200V variable output, filament voltage 0-15V 0-10A. I don't have arcing problem yet, but you going to use 10KV than ill be worried about arcing. I made simple 2 variac controlled outputs 1 for HV in the camber 1 for the filament, don't have time doing some complex controller.
                    Your pocket have intense cooling system that's great, if not you will have contamination problem after few time of use. For sweep controller i was thinking of using small monitor tube coils X,Y to control the beam but not sure how its going to perform, what type sweep controller are you using?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
                      Hi Andrew,

                      You have enough power to melt almost every metal, but boats are not good for doing oxides, dioxides and fluorides they spit and contaminate the boats don't do it on coated glass of aluminum.
                      With electron beam almost entire periodic table can be melt and vaporized.
                      What you need is High Voltage controller 0.5Amps 3500Volts or higher and watercooled crucible pocket made from pure copper and sweep controller to control the electrons to melt the oxides or other metals evenly.
                      There is other way called sputtering but need more complicated controllers and more expensive. Sputtering is the best for oxides but need solid targets like SIO in solid form not in powder form and need also high wattage RF power supply with network matching, can cost you thousands of $$ (second hand.)
                      I'm going to stick with EB so far its cheaper you can built one and the parts can be found easily and i can melt in any form solid or powder.

                      BTW. I will be not afraid to power up your 1000amps transformer i guest it put out few volts only you can even touch when its on, no problem. The one i have 0.45amps and 3200volt yep that's one can kill you and me.:)

                      Regards,
                      Aaron

                      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-491)[ASRC AEROSPACE]" <andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

                      > Ummmmmmm............ could we drop back a bit and cover the basics of what is needed to do SiO overcoating with one of these electron beam gun things.
                      >
                      > I have a Tantalum SiO boat and a monster transformer to make it glow white hot in the vacuum chamber but am too scard to fire that thing up. Something about putting 1000 amps thru anything just worries me.
                      >
                      > If there is a better way I would really like to hear about it. Then I can get James to explain it to me while I watch him make his.
                      >
                      > Drew in soggy Florida

                    • johan coussens
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009

                        Hi Aaron, Attila and Andrew.

                        (Andrew knows already that I am also playing with mirror coating and high vacuum chambers.)

                        I already searches sources for parts and drawings of electron beam systems, however I am not an electonical man…..and search did not give anything usefull.

                        Aaron talked about “parts can be found easily” and I notice in this thread that we have some very specialized people around here ;-)

                        (always nice to be in good company)

                        Can anyone specify a bit more about material sources or drawings?

                        Maybe, if we had more information, it Become possible to make further plans, building partially a EB or buying some parts from you and making the rest ourselves?

                        Any information on this project would be very welcome to get much people out of a standstill situation on EB.  I think the interest is huge.

                        Thanks for sharing info with us.

                        Best regards

                        Johan Coussens

                        Belgium

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 12, 2009
                          Hi!

                          Aaron is right, using e-beam power it is possible to evaporate almost or the entire periodic table. Because the kinetic energy of the electrons when they hitting the target becomes heat around 5000-6000 Celsius,it is high enough to evaporate everything.

                          Aaron I don't konw how far is your chatohd and anod from each other but in my design it is only some thens of milimeters, that's why I told you the arching problem. Even maybe at 3200V you won't had have arcing.
                          I know a design too, where the guy used variacs and MOT-s and evaporated material succesfully, I am sure it works!

                          I want to use higher accelerating voltage and variable amperage to use the gun for wide range of material evaporating.For this the power supply of the HV is SWPS. Even I need to use pole extension to make the beam diffuse for oxid evaporation.

                          The sweep control unit consist 3 lineal coils in the ususal U shaped design. The circuit is designed by myself. It is capable to adjust the beam position in X-Y way and the sweep amplitude and frequency in both X and Y way independly.Sweeping is essencial without it at narrow beam can pierce through the material and can damage the crucible.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
                            Hi Johan,

                            No problem to share information. If you want to play around with EB system I suggest you to go with simple homemade system made from Microwave oven parts. You need old used working microwave oven, you have to take out the HV transformer and the capacitor and need 2x variac transformers at least 6Amp each and 1x 12V 10Amp transformer for the filament of the EB gun. For EB gun you can buy secondhand at ebay (still expensive) or make your self from simple parts for testing purpose to know better how the EB works. Later i show you the schematics how to put it all together.
                            Start collecting the parts.

                            Regards or Groetjes,
                            Aaron

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
                              Hi Attila,

                              I don't have EB gun I do simple from copper plate and tungsten filament, no electron bending or sweeping just direct hit on the source, melting some of the copper too:( Just for testing, no real coatings done so far but it works to make nice coatings on small objects. Definitely need sweep controller to control the beam.
                              Waiting your EB pocket to finish I will like to have one with 4 pockets:) and your sweeping controller.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 13, 2009
                                Hi,

                                I just ask for patience as I wrote I need a bit more time to operate it. My gun has also 270 degres beam bending and hidden emitter source
                                avoiding the direct shine of the tungsten filament and the contamination.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 12, 2009
                                  Hi Attila,

                                  How is the project going on, any updates.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 12, 2009
                                    Hi Aaron,

                                    Well it is going slower than I guessed. I got a lot of trouble with the X Y sweep unit. But finally it WORKS, yesterday I was able to try it and it is ok.

                                    I have still vacuum leakage two of the feedthroughs should be change because it is made of bakelite and the gases goes through it.

                                    Looks like the HV power supply and the filament XFM works properly, and the emission source is ready too.

                                    If I wont get too serious problem with the leakage maybe I can fire up the gun in this year.

                                    Regards