WASSUP ?

  • atm_ken_hunter
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
      It's really been quiet on VacuumX lately and I was wondering if anyone has been doing anything interesting they could share with the Group. I'd hate to see Yahoo delete the Group due to inactivity.

      I have recently moved and now have a BIG shop where I am getting concrete poured for the floor and partitioning off rooms to be used for my ATM, Vacuum and HAM radio activities... Will be retiring soon and then I can start working all the projects I've been putting off.

      WhooooHoooo!

      Will post some photos of this later today.

      What are you up to?

      Ken Hunter
    • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC-ASRC-491)[ASRC A
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009
        Hey Ken,

        Good to see you getting settled in. I finally bought a 13g re-chargeable SiO evaporator from Leskers to try SiO coating testing. That thing is pretty tricky with about 200 spot welds. I have not hooked it up yet but that is gettin close.

        Hey I got a question for the gang......... I am having a bear of a time with high voltage pass thru. I made a ceramic tube one that holds fine at atmospneric ( 2.5kv with no bleed ) but when I go to hard vacuum ( 1.5e-5 torr ) it starts shorting at 400 volts. It is driving me nuts. It is supposed to be good to 60kv.

        I am starting to think it may be from my 15kv cleaning system that is leaving some kind of soot on everything. I ran my 15kv "beer sign" cleaning system for a few hours last week and it made purple haze for hours trying to get the gas out of the chamber. Is is possible that the plasma has burned the little plexiglas stand offs I am using to suspend the HV wire in my chamber ??? The HV pass thru was not installed at the time of the purple haze so it could not be affected.

        Can plasma burn plastic in a chamber and leave a kind of conductive soot behind ???

        you wanted something to chat about.......... here is our chance to solve a real problem .......... at least for me.

        Drew

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009
          Andrew,

          You are probably right about the plexiglass. Plastic and high voltage and vacuum are not a good combo. Plastic outgasses anyway and is worse at higher temps and with plasma.
          You could disconnect parts of the wire from the HV feedthrough to see which part has the resistive path to ground.
          I would use ceramics throughout (preferably flame cleaned) for trouble free insulation.

          John
        • Gomez Addams
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2009
            On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:24 AM, atm_ken_hunter wrote:

            > It's really been quiet on VacuumX lately and I was wondering if
            > anyone has been doing anything interesting they could share with the
            > Group. I'd hate to see Yahoo delete the Group due to inactivity.

            I have been busy with other projects, mostly having to do with high
            voltage pulsed power stuff.

            > I have recently moved and now have a BIG shop where I am getting
            > concrete poured for the floor and partitioning off rooms to be used
            > for my ATM, Vacuum and HAM radio activities... Will be retiring soon
            > and then I can start working all the projects I've been putting off.

            Ooh, I envy you! If I ever finish any of the projects I currently
            have open, I'll have to sell them so I'll have room in the shop to
            build anything else.

            > What are you up to?

            Well, there's not much there about vacuum right now, but as I finish
            projects (or stages or parts of projects) they usually get documented
            here:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/gomezaddams/

            I'm going to need mild vacuum soon, since two of the pulsed power
            switching devices I'm working on are designed to run at below ambient
            pressure. (and another at above ambient) But that just means using
            the utility/roughing tap on my high vacuum system (leads directly to
            the roughing pump). Several other projects need to be removed from my
            shop before I can work on the high vacuum system again.

            - G.

            90% of being smart is knowing
            what you're dumb at.
          • atm_ken_hunter
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
              Oh... Don't envy me. I looked at your link and am truely impressed at your cool stuff! We should be neighbors! If you come back to the Peoria area again, let me know ahead of time, I live just 1/2 hour south of there (more or less).

              Ken

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Gomez Addams <gomez@...> wrote:
              > Ooh, I envy you! If I ever finish any of the projects I currently
              > have open, I'll have to sell them so I'll have room in the shop to
              > build anything else.

            • Carl Winchester
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
                Gomez,
                Thx for posting the link to your Flickr pics.
                I have not done much with vacuum equipment since the class I toke as part of Laser Tech degree that I got at San Jose City College back in 1976.
                I hope to hear you on the air soon.
                73, Carl K6ZXU

                On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:24 AM, atm_ken_hunter wrote:

                > It's really been quiet on VacuumX lately and I was wondering if
                > anyone has been doing anything interesting they could share with the
                > Group. I'd hate to see Yahoo delete the Group due to inactivity.

                I have been busy with other projects, mostly having to do with high
                voltage pulsed power stuff.

                > I have recently moved and now have a BIG shop where I am getting
                > concrete poured for the floor and partitioning off rooms to be used
                > for my ATM, Vacuum and HAM radio activities.. . Will be retiring soon
                > and then I can start working all the projects I've been putting off.

                Ooh, I envy you! If I ever finish any of the projects I currently
                have open, I'll have to sell them so I'll have room in the shop to
                build anything else.

                > What are you up to?

                Well, there's not much there about vacuum right now, but as I finish
                projects (or stages or parts of projects) they usually get documented
                here:

                http://www.flickr. com/photos/ gomezaddams/

                I'm going to need mild vacuum soon, since two of the pulsed power
                switching devices I'm working on are designed to run at below ambient
                pressure. (and another at above ambient) But that just means using
                the utility/roughing tap on my high vacuum system (leads directly to
                the roughing pump). Several other projects need to be removed from my
                shop before I can work on the high vacuum system again.

                - G.

                ............ ......... ........
                90% of being smart is knowing
                what you're dumb at.

              • Gomez Addams
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
                  On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:00 AM, atm_ken_hunter wrote:

                  > Oh... Don't envy me. I looked at your link and am truely impressed
                  > at your cool stuff!

                  Thank you sir. I've only recently started trying to make things
                  properly instead of
                  building lash-ups. I've learned a lot, but the more I learn, the more
                  dismayed I am
                  at how much more there is that I don't know! Unfortunately, life's
                  little surprises
                  have left me with little money and time to work on hobby stuff for the
                  past two years.

                  I'm hoping (like I am always hoping) that that will improve some time
                  in early 2010.

                  > We should be neighbors! If you come back to the Peoria area again,
                  > let me know ahead of time, I live just 1/2 hour south of there (more
                  > or less).

                  I will be in Peoria October 11 - 17, but I probably won't have much
                  time to visit or
                  to travel outside of Peoria much. We will be working on cleaning out
                  my mother's old
                  house in Peoria. She was a compulsive hoarder -- it's really bad.

                  But perhaps we could get together for a beer or something some evening.

                  After the house is sold I probably won't be returning to Peoria. But
                  that might not
                  happen for another year, it's hard to know.

                  - B(G)L

                  Few people are more dangerous than a
                  software engineer with a screwdriver
                  or a hardware engineer with root.
                • Gomez Addams
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
                    On Sep 10, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Carl Winchester wrote:

                    > Gomez,
                    > Thx for posting the link to your Flickr pics.
                    > I have not done much with vacuum equipment since the class I toke as
                    > part of Laser Tech degree that I got at San Jose City College back
                    > in 1976.
                    > I hope to hear you on the air soon.
                    > 73, Carl K6ZXU

                    Alas, I won't be on the air for a while. No money. I'm still
                    collecting radio hardware on the cheap, like a power supply for the
                    one HF transceiver I have, antenna, antenna rooftop mount (no space no
                    my property for proper antennas, so I will be using a vertical. It
                    would help if I had fewer hobbies, or even just one.

                    "There is no epistemological difference between artificial
                    intelligence and the acceptance of badly designed computer
                    software." - Jaron Lanier
                  • Gomez Addams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 12, 2009
                      On Sep 10, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Carl Winchester wrote:

                      > Gomez,
                      > Thx for posting the link to your Flickr pics.
                      > I have not done much with vacuum equipment since the class I toke as
                      > part of Laser Tech degree that I got at San Jose City College back
                      > in 1976.
                      > I hope to hear you on the air soon.
                      > 73, Carl K6ZXU

                      Oh PS: I am KG0MEZ now. I didn't care about getting a short vanity
                      call because I don't contest, and am still learning code anyhow, I
                      just wanted something easier to remember than 'KD0FQV', my old call.

                      Some day...

                      - G.

                      "The liver is a body part that processes TOXINS.
                      How d'you figure it's supposed to be EATEN?"
                      - Tracy Lunquist