And the diffusion pumps WORKS!

  • schneyolo
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      HI Jerry,

      Thank's for the advise.I poured much more oil into my pump and it
      start to WORK! I am happy, because I reached the 2x10 -4 Torr.
      It is not good enough but much better than 0.07 Torr.
      But I think something leakage I have. Because the pressure in the
      chamber reaches the 2x10 -4 Tor very rapidly maybe some ten of
      seconds, and stops. The needle of the gauge starts to jump up-down.
      Than slowly goes back to 10-3 Torr sometimes below a bit. Than jumps a
      bit and rapidly goes back to 2x10 -4 Torr. Maybe It could go below but
      I shut down the system.

      I read the acetone method to find out the leakage.But I don't know how
      should it perform. I tried using cotton put the acetone in. And I
      spraed by a spraer does not work.

      Regards

      Attila
    • jrrymiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Be patient, when you first pump down there will be some outgassing of
        the chamber from various sources especially moisture. I buy spray
        cans of brake cleaning solvent from my auto parts supplier to use
        as "leak detector". On sale they are cheap.

        Jerry Miller

        --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "schneyolo" <schneyolo@...> wrote:

        > HI Jerry,
        >
        > Thank's for the advise.I poured much more oil into my pump and it
        > start to WORK! I am happy, because I reached the 2x10 -4 Torr.
        > It is not good enough but much better than 0.07 Torr.
        > But I think something leakage I have. Because the pressure in the
        > chamber reaches the 2x10 -4 Tor very rapidly maybe some ten of
        > seconds, and stops. The needle of the gauge starts to jump up-down.
        > Than slowly goes back to 10-3 Torr sometimes below a bit. Than
        jumps a
        > bit and rapidly goes back to 2x10 -4 Torr. Maybe It could go below
        but
        > I shut down the system.
        >
        > I read the acetone method to find out the leakage.But I don't know
        how
        > should it perform. I tried using cotton put the acetone in. And I
        > spraed by a spraer does not work.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Attila

      • Guy Brandenburg
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          You spray the brake cleaner on the outside, and see what happens inside? Sorta like spraying water on a roof to find leaks?

          Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
          My home page on astronomy, mathematics, education:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html
          or else
          http://tinyurl.com/r6fh2

          "Education isn't rocket science. It's much, much harder."
          (Author unknown)

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
            Yes. My home made Pirani gage seems to be the most sensitive to the
            solvent. But I have read where thermocouple gages also respond.

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Guy Brandenburg <gfbrandenburg@...>