Re: re bonding a thin glass slumped blank to acrylic

  • radroy92
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      The bottom line is that the thin glass Andrew is suggesting will
      respond to thermal changes so rapidly that getting a good image
      bounced off its surface would be a rare occurance. Now if he placed
      the very thin mirror in a vacuum chamber to isolate it from air
      currents and could find a way to support the mirror without it
      flexing under its own weight........................

      Roy M.

      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Charles Mitchard
      <charlesmitchard@...> wrote:

      > Would the thin slumped glass surface have to be actually bonded to
      the acrylic form
      > or could it be floated in the former on a thin coat of say silicon
      grease or other
      > compound that will allow the glass to conform without actually
      gripping.
      > I'm thinking out loud here - a rubber ring around the edge to stop
      the mirror from
      > sliding off the acrylic former when tilting for viewing.
      > www.members.iinet.net.au/~charlesmitchard/index.html

    • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC)[ASRC AEROSPACE]
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        That is very interesting.  I had not thought to just capture the glass but it may be possible.

        I would most likely use carbon fiber as the structural frame for the glass to be mated to.  It is far more rigid than acrylic and just as easy to mess with.

        Andrew