Fusors..

  • Ken Hunter
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Drew

      That looks interesting! Talk about a smoking hole in the ground...
      Knowing Thomas the way I do, won't be long before he starts looking
      on eBay for chemicals that glow in the dark.. Don't know if I can re-
      mail them over to him in Aus or not. Thomas, better check before
      bidding!

      No progress this weekend on the XMS stuff. Wife had other plans
      that "we discussed" Friday after work. At least that is when I found
      out about them. Still have a couple of days work (might take all week
      or more all spread out and such) to do then will be on the way.

      Ken

      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC)[ASRC
      AEROSPACE]" <andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

      > pad would be a smoking hole in the ground.

      > ps.............. any of you vacuum heads out there ever heard of the
      > FUSOR group ??? They are building home brew fusion reactors out of
      > their vacuum chambers. Is that wild or what.
    • Thomas Janstrom
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008

        To a guy from a country where every drop of water is counted (domestic usage is ~170L/household/day now) to use that much water in such a short time is “way out there” big! Yeah I was reading on another forum that a shuttle launch is equivalent to a Hiroshima class bomb, just spread out over a few minutes!!!! (and a lot of distance)

        I have read a bit about fusors in passing over the years, never been all that keen to play with something that has the potential to produce ionising radiation (for that mater 15KV through tungsten (instead of Al) when ion cleaning will give of hard X-rays), although a cyclotron does have some attraction!

        Cheers, Thomas Janstrom.
        Little Gems.
        www.tjlittlegems.com

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008

          Nah, I almost have enough U235 to have my own pile going, who needs fusion anyway?

          Ah yes the infamous “honey do” trap….. No other way out of that one that will keep your hind intact. My advice; take the path of least resistance, just do the chores! LOL

          Cheers, Thomas Janstrom.

          Little Gems.

          www.tjlittlegems.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
            I hit the " NO" wall with the wife instantly when I asked to retrofit my chamber to try fusion.

            Wife Acceptance Factor = 0.0.

            Oh well, there is always meter class telescopes to keep me busy :_))))))))

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
              You did what?!!!! ;~O Wives and fusion don't mix. :~(

              Roy M.

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                yea.............. I found that out the hard way.  Been trying for two weeks to re-open negotiations but no joy.  Sure, we can put nitro boost on her golf cart but not put a puff of D2 in my chamber.

                Life is so not fair. :_(((((((

                Good thing Ken is getting close to a thin film monitor system for me.  It has like 397 electrical ka-bobs on it that can melt rock but it aint fusion so that is "safe" to have in the shop.

                Andrew in soggy ( and getting more so every day ) Florida

                You did what?!!!! ;~O Wives and fusion don't mix. :~(

                Roy M.

                > I hit the " NO" wall with the wife instantly when I asked to
                retrofit
                my
                > chamber to try fusion.
                >
                > Wife Acceptance
                Factor = 0.0.

                > Oh well, there is always meter class telescopes
                to keep me busy
                > :_))))))))
                >
                > Andrew

                ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Gomez Addams
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                  On Sep 5, 2008, at 11:10 AM, radroy92 wrote:

                  > You did what?!!!! ;~O Wives and fusion don't mix. :~(

                  You'd be surprised. My wife lets me get away with damn near everything.
                  If I told her I wanted to try a Farnsworth Fusor, she'd ask me to
                  explain
                  it, what it did, the risks if any, and how intended to mitigate them,
                  and
                  eventually give up, saying "well, just be careful".

                  Of course, this is the same woman who

                  A) bought me a Miller MIG welder for my birthday

                  B) when I had the opportunity to buy a Bridgeport mill with Mitu DRO
                  at a
                  steal of a price - and knowing the buyer well, even though we didn't
                  have
                  the money in our spending account, told me I'd be a fool not to jump on
                  the deal even if it meant charging it or adding it to our HELOC. As it
                  happened, I agreed with her.

                  So with regard to wives... sometimes you get lucky. :)

                  >> I hit the " NO" wall with the wife instantly when I asked to
                  >> retrofit my
                  >> chamber to try fusion.

                  I may get around to it some day too - I've now got both a bell jar and
                  an
                  aluminum chamber with lots of ports that fit my baseplate (which has
                  feedthroughs as well).

                  Now if I could just find out what's wrong with my system - gauge
                  electronics
                  or a leak - I'd be golden. *sigh*

                  Some day I will be able get back on that project.

                  - G.

                  "The last 29 days of the month are the hardest."
                  - Nikola Tesla