Oil mist trap

  • gravityflux
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 7, 2008
      Has anyone fabricated thier own oil mist trap for your roughing pumps?

      Thanks!
    • Anderson, Gordon (Hovensa)
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 7, 2008
        Message
        Not me, but here's a link to inexpensive mist eliminators on ebay ($33 + S&H):

        Gordon

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 7, 2008

          I did, it consists of three internal plastic baffles (nested) to slow the exhaust and give the mist plenty of places to collect on, and the finial “baffle” is a 1” thick layer of compressed nylon felt like material. Works fairly well the exhaust stream isn’t totally oil free but I only loose ~1ml/6hrs of operation….

          If you want I can go and measure the trap and do up a drawing or just post the measurements….

          Cheers, Thomas.

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 7, 2008
            Input or exhaust trap ? I made an inline trap in glass with two sections of
            activated charcoal separated by a section of copper wool (screens inbetween
            to keep everything from getting umbled up) ... When the copper wool turned
            green, it was time to clean/bake out the beastie or change the innards and
            clean the glass. Traps oil from backstreaming from the pump into the DF.

            Exhaust are easy if you can find cheap elements and depends on your port
            configuration.

            Jim RabidWolf Hickinbotham (Uncle Rabid)
            Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
            We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
            For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
            "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"
            NOW FULL TIME
            > Has anyone fabricated thier own oil mist trap for your roughing pumps?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > 8:15 AM

          • Thomas Janstrom
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 7, 2008

              Hi Jim,

              The one I built is for the RP exhaust, the plumbing between it and the DP is so convoluted (I know I know!), there area about 6 near right angle bends and two valves (one between the RP and DP, the other between the RP and the chamber linking in to the DP/chamber isolation valve)  so it is in essence self baffling with most the bends giving the whole a general “up hill” motion towards the DP so most of the oil that condenses there will eventually drain back to the RP.

              As an aside I use the same oil in both the RP and the DPs so all things considered it’s not really a problem in my setup.

              Cheers, Thomas.

              > Has anyone fabricated thier own oil mist trap for your roughing pumps?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --
              > 8:15 AM

            • gravityflux
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 8, 2008
                I'd love to see a drawing or photo..

                Thanks!

                > I did, it consists of three internal plastic baffles (nested) to
                slow the
                > exhaust and give the mist plenty of places to collect on, and the
                finial
                > "baffle" is a 1" thick layer of compressed nylon felt like
                material. Works
                > fairly well the exhaust stream isn't totally oil free but I only
                loose
                > ~1ml/6hrs of operation..
                >

                > If you want I can go and measure the trap and do up a drawing or
                just post
                > the measurements..
                >

                > Cheers, Thomas.

                Behalf Of
                > gravityflux
                > Sent: Saturday, 8 March 2008 5:57 AM
                > To: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [VacuumX] Oil mist trap
                >

                > Has anyone fabricated thier own oil mist trap for your roughing
                pumps?

                > Thanks!

              • gravityflux
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 8, 2008
                  That would be Exhaust. I've never seen how a mist trap works so a
                  scetch or photo would be great.

                  -Cary

                  > Input or exhaust trap ?

                  > Exhaust are easy if you can find cheap elements and depends on your
                  port configuration.
                • Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC)[ASRC AEROSPACE]
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 10, 2008
                    I did a small mirror in my big chamber yesterday so only put aluminum on the center most emmitters.  12 emmitters had nothing on them.  There was dark blue black everywhere in the chamber when I opened it up.

                    When I ran the same mirror last week I had alumimn on all the emmitters and no blue black discharge.

                    Is it better to put something on the emmitters rather than run them dry ?????

                    Andrew in sunny Florida

                  • Johan Coussens
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 10, 2008
                      Message
                      Andrew,

                      when no alu on the elements, you should not heat them up.

                      i suspect the problem to be that all elements with alu are still a lot colder than those who have nothing to melt. (in  fact, those who melt alu are kept a lot colder by the evaporation needed heat.)

                      i think you just melt the emmiters themselves.

                      just keep us informed of your successes.

                      regards
                      johan

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 11, 2008
                        Andy,

                        You most certainly should not run the filaments (emitters) dry. I
                        work for a company that makes filaments so I can tell you what
                        happens. The vaporizing aluminum cools the filaments the same way
                        perspiration cools you on a hot day. The filament can not rise above
                        the temperature at which aluminum vaporizes while there is aluminum
                        on the filament. This temperature varies with the vacuum level, but
                        is probably 800 to 1000 degrees Celcius. When there is no aluminum
                        present, the filament is free to try to reach the vapor point of
                        tungsten which is about 2400 to 2750 degrees C depending on the
                        vacuum level. Whether it makes it all the way there depends on how
                        much current is being run through the filaments.

                        So why the black color? It could be several things. It is possible
                        that you are evaporating some tungsten or aluminum tungstate from the
                        filaments. It is also possible that the high heat is causing
                        outgassing of moisture or oxygen from the chamber surfaces or from
                        the substrate to be coated.

                        You might be interested in a paper that I wrote on troubleshooting
                        problems with metallized parts. It can be found at

                        http://www.tungsten.com/trouble.pdf

                        Kevin

                        --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC)[ASRC
                        AEROSPACE]" <andrew.n.aurigema@...> wrote:

                        > I did a small mirror in my big chamber yesterday so only put
                        aluminum on
                        > the center most emmitters. 12 emmitters had nothing on them.
                        There was
                        > dark blue black everywhere in the chamber when I opened it up.
                        >
                        > When I ran the same mirror last week I had alumimn on all the
                        emmitters
                        > and no blue black discharge.
                        >
                        > Is it better to put something on the emmitters rather than run them
                        dry
                        > ?????
                        >
                        > Andrew in sunny Florida
                        >
                        > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                        s=97359714/grpId=9177338/grpspId=1705063107/m

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 11, 2008
                          Thanks Kevin.  I will keep some aluminum on the emmitters all the time and not run them dry anymore.

                          Andrew

                          You most certainly should not run the filaments (emitters) dry. I
                          work for a company that makes filaments so I can tell you what
                          happens. The vaporizing aluminum cools the filaments the same way
                          perspiration cools you on a hot day. The filament can not rise above
                          the temperature at which aluminum vaporizes while there is aluminum
                          on the filament. This temperature varies with the vacuum level, but
                          is probably 800 to 1000 degrees Celcius. When there is no aluminum
                          present, the filament is free to try to reach the vapor point of
                          tungsten which is about 2400 to 2750 degrees C depending on the
                          vacuum level. Whether it makes it all the way there depends on how
                          much current is being run through the filaments.

                          So why the black color? It could be several things. It is possible
                          that you are evaporating some tungsten or aluminum tungstate from the
                          filaments. It is also possible that the high heat is causing
                          outgassing of moisture or oxygen from the chamber surfaces or from
                          the substrate to be coated.

                          You might be interested in a paper that I wrote on troubleshooting
                          problems with metallized parts. It can be found at

                          http://www.tungsten .com/trouble. pdf

                          Kevin

                          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups .com, "Aurigema, Andrew N. (KSC)[ASRC
                          AEROSPACE]" <andrew.n.aurigema@ ...> wrote:

                          > I did a small mirror
                          in my big chamber yesterday so only put
                          aluminum on
                          > the center most
                          emmitters. 12 emmitters had nothing on them.
                          There was
                          > dark blue
                          black everywhere in the chamber when I opened it up.

                          > When I
                          ran the same mirror last week I had alumimn on all the
                          emmitters
                          > and
                          no blue black discharge.

                          > Is it better to put something on the
                          emmitters rather than run them
                          dry
                          > ?????
                          >
                          > Andrew in
                          sunny Florida

                          href="http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?">http://geo.yahoo. com/serv?
                          s=97359714/grpId= 9177338/grpspId= 1705063107/ m

                          sgId=2783/stime= 1204956910/ nc1=4025338/ nc2=5170414/ nc3=5170420>

                        • henry_3507
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 13, 2008
                            Kevin,

                            Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way, the
                            temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and Y
                            voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature on it.

                            Regards Henry
                          • David Grove
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 13, 2008

                              Henry,

                              Check out this link http://spallation.physics.sc.edu/~blanpied/phys308/Boltzman.pdf. Might be what you’re looking for.

                              Dave

                              www.luxel.com

                              A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart enough to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 13, 2008
                                Dave,

                                That seems to be exactly what i have been looking for, thanks a lot!

                                It was a little suprise for me to see that the curve is more or less
                                linear, expected it to be mostly logaritmic. Really good to know that.

                                Henry

                                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "David Grove" <dgrove@...> wrote:

                                > Henry,
                                >

                                > Check out this link
                                > http://spallation.physics.sc.edu/~blanpied/phys308/Boltzman.pdf.
                                Might be
                                > what you're looking for.
                                >

                                > Dave
                                >
                                > www.luxel.com
                                >

                                > A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart
                                enough
                                > to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.

                              • Ken Hunter
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 13, 2008
                                  --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "toglman" <inky@...> wrote:

                                  > You might be interested in a paper that I wrote on troubleshooting
                                  > problems with metallized parts. It can be found at
                                  >
                                  > http://www.tungsten.com/trouble.pdf
                                  >
                                  > Kevin

                                  This paper and others written by Kevin is in the files section of the
                                  group for your reference. If you have not checked out the files and
                                  photo's sections yet, this is a good time to remind you to do so.

                                  Thanks Kevin for being here... nearly 4 years now and not much to
                                  show for it. We DO appreciate your support even if we don't voice it
                                  very much!

                                  For those that don't know, I invited Kevin to look in on us from time
                                  to time a long while back when I asked his company about obtaining
                                  inexpensive vacuum products. He has often made available filaments
                                  etc in his "orphan bin" at reduced prices for us. If you get a
                                  chance, please support Kevin as he has supported us here at the
                                  VacuumX Group.

                                  Ken Hunter
                                • toglman
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                    Henry,

                                    If you look in the files section, you should see a couple of nomographs
                                    that I posted a while back. I think they are named dcnomo and
                                    drtnomo. They should be helpful.

                                    Kevin

                                    --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "henry_3507" <kmnhij@...> wrote:

                                    > Kevin,
                                    >
                                    > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way, the
                                    > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and Y
                                    > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature on
                                    it.

                                    > Regards Henry

                                  • John Dykins
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                      Henry,
                                      An optical pyrometer should work if you have a clean window and can see
                                      the filament coils. It compares the colour of the coils with an internal
                                      filament and gives a readout in degrees.

                                      John

                                      henry_3507 wrote:

                                      > Kevin,
                                      >
                                      > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way, the
                                      > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and Y
                                      > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature on it.
                                      >
                                      > Regards Henry

                                    • jacques savard
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                        I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find

                                        it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten and there i can
                                        show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it temp

                                        normaly the temp correcpond to some color

                                        jack 47'N 71'W

                                        > Henry,
                                        >
                                        > If you look in the files section, you should see a couple of nomographs
                                        > that I posted a while back. I think they are named dcnomo and
                                        > drtnomo. They should be helpful.
                                        >
                                        > Kevin
                                        >
                                        > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "henry_3507" <kmnhij@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Kevin,
                                        > >
                                        > > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way, the
                                        > > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and Y
                                        > > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature on
                                        > it.
                                        > >
                                        > > Regards Henry

                                      • henry_3507
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                          Kevin,

                                          Excellent! You are so right thats exactly what i needed, thanks a lot
                                          for these files!

                                          I recently bought a bunch of tungsten coils from you so these files
                                          will really be for use to me, thanks again!

                                          Henry

                                          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "toglman" <inky@...> wrote:

                                          > Henry,
                                          >
                                          > If you look in the files section, you should see a couple of
                                          nomographs
                                          > that I posted a while back. I think they are named dcnomo and
                                          > drtnomo. They should be helpful.
                                          >
                                          > Kevin
                                          >
                                          > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "henry_3507" <kmnhij@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Kevin,
                                          > >
                                          > > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way,
                                          the
                                          > > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and
                                          > > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature
                                          on
                                          > it.
                                          > >
                                          > > Regards Henry

                                        • henry_3507
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                            Interesting instrument, should check this up. Thanks for the tip.

                                            Henry

                                            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, John Dykins <dykins@...> wrote:

                                            > Henry,
                                            > An optical pyrometer should work if you have a clean window and can
                                            see
                                            > the filament coils. It compares the colour of the coils with an
                                            internal
                                            > filament and gives a readout in degrees.
                                            >
                                            > John
                                            >

                                            > henry_3507 wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Kevin,
                                            > >
                                            > > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way,
                                            the
                                            > > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and
                                            > > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature
                                            on it.

                                            > > Regards Henry

                                          • henry_3507
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                              That sounds highly interesting.

                                              I first had planned to use Wiens Law were, if i understand it right,
                                              i look at the most intense wavelenght emitted from a heated surface
                                              and then by the help of an equation could calculate the temperature.
                                              The problem is that the waveleghth i need to seek from a tungsten
                                              wire of say 1500C is, if have understand it right, deep in the IR
                                              which i cant see whithout specially made instruments.

                                              Henry

                                              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, jacques savard <jacquessavard@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find
                                              >
                                              > it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten and
                                              there i can
                                              > show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it temp
                                              >
                                              > normaly the temp correcpond to some color
                                              >
                                              > jack 47'N 71'W
                                            • George Anderson
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 14, 2008
                                                Henry

                                                You might try using a webcam that has had the IR filter removed
                                                (simple job to do). If there is too much visible light then you can
                                                make a cheap homemade IR pass filter out of two sections of exposed
                                                negative film in front of the lens.

                                                George Anderson
                                                Montreal Canada

                                                Clear skies and good health

                                                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "henry_3507" <kmnhij@...> wrote:

                                                > That sounds highly interesting.
                                                >
                                                > I first had planned to use Wiens Law were, if i understand it right,
                                                > i look at the most intense wavelenght emitted from a heated surface
                                                > and then by the help of an equation could calculate the temperature.
                                                > The problem is that the waveleghth i need to seek from a tungsten
                                                > wire of say 1500C is, if have understand it right, deep in the IR
                                                > which i cant see whithout specially made instruments.
                                                >
                                                > Henry
                                                >

                                                > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, jacques savard <jacquessavard@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find
                                                > >
                                                > > it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten and
                                                > there i can
                                                > > show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it temp
                                                > >
                                                > > normaly the temp correcpond to some color
                                                > >
                                                > > jack 47'N 71'W

                                              • henry_3507
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                  George

                                                  Well yes but i wouldnt be able to know an exact wavelength only if
                                                  there is IR light present or not. To calculate the surface
                                                  temperature i first planned to do so did i first have to know the
                                                  strongest emitted wavelength that was emitted from a tungsten wire
                                                  that depending on its wavelength represented a certain temperature
                                                  with the use of a simple equation. A webcam wouldnt be able to see
                                                  this wavelength among all the others, only special equipment would be
                                                  able to do that.

                                                  But now when i have got the files Kevin tipped me about so will i now
                                                  be able to know the temperature by more or less just measure the
                                                  resistance of the tungsten wire or the current and compare it with
                                                  the charts to know the temperature. But to know what current and
                                                  voltage i would need for a certain temperature so would it be a
                                                  little calculation for that.

                                                  Henry

                                                  --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "George Anderson" <georgea@...> wrote:

                                                  > Henry
                                                  >
                                                  > You might try using a webcam that has had the IR filter removed
                                                  > (simple job to do). If there is too much visible light then you can
                                                  > make a cheap homemade IR pass filter out of two sections of exposed
                                                  > negative film in front of the lens.
                                                  >
                                                  > George Anderson
                                                  > Montreal Canada
                                                  >
                                                  > Clear skies and good health
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "henry_3507" <kmnhij@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > That sounds highly interesting.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I first had planned to use Wiens Law were, if i understand it
                                                  right,
                                                  > > i look at the most intense wavelenght emitted from a heated
                                                  surface
                                                  > > and then by the help of an equation could calculate the
                                                  temperature.
                                                  > > The problem is that the waveleghth i need to seek from a tungsten
                                                  > > wire of say 1500C is, if have understand it right, deep in the IR
                                                  > > which i cant see whithout specially made instruments.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Henry
                                                  > >

                                                  > > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, jacques savard <jacquessavard@>
                                                  > > wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten
                                                  and
                                                  > > there i can
                                                  > > > show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it
                                                  temp

                                                  > > > normaly the temp correcpond to some color
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > jack 47'N 71'W

                                                • ed ward
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                    Hi folks I built an optical pyrometer from an old book I have some where,it is simple it is just a small telescope with a red filter placed half was down between the lens with a small light bulb in front of the filter,a constant voltage power supply and a milliamp meter you site the heat source and adj the lamp filament to the same brightness and check you current,there is a graft current to temperature for the wattage of the lamp-just 2cent worth- ed

                                                  • David Grove
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008

                                                      Henry,

                                                      Assuming the temperature measurement isn’t your ultimate goal, how do you plan to use the data?

                                                      Dave

                                                      www.luxel.com

                                                      A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart enough to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.

                                                      That seems to be exactly what i have been looking for, thanks a lot!

                                                      It was a little suprise for me to see that the curve is more or less
                                                      linear, expected it to be mostly logaritmic. Really good to know that.

                                                      Henry

                                                      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "David Grove" <dgrove@...> wrote:

                                                      > Henry,
                                                      >

                                                      > Check out this link
                                                      > http://spallation.physics.sc.edu/~blanpied/phys308/Boltzman.pdf.
                                                      Might be
                                                      > what you're looking for.
                                                      >

                                                      > Dave
                                                      >
                                                      > www.luxel.com
                                                      >

                                                      > A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart
                                                      enough
                                                      > to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.
                                                      >

                                                      > From: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
                                                      > Do you maybe know of any way to calculate, or by some other way,
                                                      the
                                                      > temperature on a tungsten coil in work? For example X current and Y
                                                      > voltage trough Z thick tungsten thread give a sertain temperature
                                                      on it.

                                                      > Regards Henry

                                                    • jacques savard
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                        this could be usefull
                                                        Software fix for temperature conversion
                                                        http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/HITRAN/

                                                        down to right figure

                                                        have to test it

                                                        jack 47'N 71'W

                                                        > That sounds highly interesting.
                                                        >
                                                        > I first had planned to use Wiens Law were, if i understand it right,
                                                        > i look at the most intense wavelenght emitted from a heated surface
                                                        > and then by the help of an equation could calculate the temperature.
                                                        > The problem is that the waveleghth i need to seek from a tungsten
                                                        > wire of say 1500C is, if have understand it right, deep in the IR
                                                        > which i cant see whithout specially made instruments.
                                                        >
                                                        > Henry
                                                        >

                                                        > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, jacques savard <jacquessavard@...>
                                                        > wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find
                                                        > >
                                                        > > it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten and
                                                        > there i can
                                                        > > show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it temp
                                                        > >
                                                        > > normaly the temp correcpond to some color
                                                        > >
                                                        > > jack 47'N 71'W

                                                      • henry_3507
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                          Dave,

                                                          Well, as far as i understand so does the file show the resistance of
                                                          a tungsten wire at a certain temperature so then is it only to use
                                                          ohm law to calculate the temperature on a wire by measure the current
                                                          through it. But now when i look at the file little closer so does it
                                                          seems that i would have to measure the wire temperature at two
                                                          different temperature to get the relative resistivity of the wire as
                                                          the equation there say. But it would work only a little more work.

                                                          But the file Kevin tipped me about earlier really is exactly what i
                                                          looked for because it say exactly what resistance any wire diameter
                                                          has at a wide temperature range. So then its only to measure the
                                                          current and look in the file to know what the temperature is on the
                                                          wire.

                                                        • henry_3507
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Mar 15, 2008
                                                            Have to contact them to get the program what i understood, but will
                                                            do that, thanks for the tip!

                                                            wrote:

                                                            > this could be usefull
                                                            > Software fix for temperature conversion
                                                            > http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/HITRAN/
                                                            >
                                                            > down to right figure
                                                            >
                                                            > have to test it
                                                            >
                                                            > jack 47'N 71'W
                                                            > Subject: [VacuumX] Re: Calculate temperature on tungsten
                                                            >

                                                            > > That sounds highly interesting.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > I first had planned to use Wiens Law were, if i understand it
                                                            right,
                                                            > > i look at the most intense wavelenght emitted from a heated
                                                            surface
                                                            > > and then by the help of an equation could calculate the
                                                            temperature.
                                                            > > The problem is that the waveleghth i need to seek from a tungsten
                                                            > > wire of say 1500C is, if have understand it right, deep in the IR
                                                            > > which i cant see whithout specially made instruments.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Henry
                                                            > >

                                                            > > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, jacques savard <jacquessavard@>
                                                            > > wrote:
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > I make some spectroscopy whit easy part find
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > it is probaly easy also to find the spectrum of the stungten
                                                            and
                                                            > > there i can
                                                            > > > show you howto see the spectrum and have a new way to mesure it
                                                            temp

                                                            > > > normaly the temp correcpond to some color
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > jack 47'N 71'W

                                                          • jacques savard
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 16, 2008
                                                              yes

                                                              WHAT IS your temperature measurement isn’t your ultimate goal

                                                              if it is that used only a pirani gage

                                                              like this one

                                                              maybe

                                                              or a TC gage

                                                              jack 47'N 71'W

                                                              Henry,

                                                              Assuming the temperature measurement isn’t your ultimate goal, how do you plan to use the data?

                                                              Dave

                                                              www.luxel.com

                                                              A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart enough to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.

                                                              That seems to be exactly what i have been looking for, thanks a lot!

                                                              It was a little suprise for me to see that the curve is more or less
                                                              linear, expected it to be mostly logaritmic. Really good to know that.

                                                              Henry

                                                              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "David Grove" <dgrove@...> wrote:

                                                              > Henry,
                                                              >

                                                              > Check out this link
                                                              > http://spallation.physics.sc.edu/~blanpied/phys308/Boltzman.pdf.
                                                              Might be
                                                              > what you're looking for.
                                                              >

                                                              > Dave
                                                              >
                                                              > www.luxel.com
                                                              >

                                                              > A good politician is like a good football coach. He has to be smart
                                                              enough
                                                              > to do a good job but dumb enough to think it matters.

                                                            • henry_3507
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Mar 18, 2008
                                                                As i said before so will i use the files Kevin mentioned and with the
                                                                help of these so do i know the resistance of a tungsten wire at
                                                                different temperatures since this change depending on what
                                                                temperature it have. Thanks to this file so can i now calculate the
                                                                temperature i want on the coil by using Ohms law, with other words i
                                                                dont need to know the temperature on the coil in advance or something
                                                                like that i just calculate what i need it to be. If i want say 1500C
                                                                on it so will i just se in the file what resistance it has at this
                                                                temperature and calculate what voltage and current i need to feed it
                                                                with to get it up to that temperature.

                                                                Im going to use the coils to evaporate aluminum later on nothing else
                                                                but i dont want to get it to high in temperature because if it will
                                                                and it runs dry so will it deposit tungsten or other bad thing. If i
                                                                keep the temperature below a certain point so wont that happen even
                                                                if it runs dry but i have to know the temperature on the tungsten
                                                                then which i now can thanks to the file.