Searching for a Varian CC 860A controller manual, some questions

  • henry_3507
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hi!

      I have searched what feels like the entire internet during a long day
      without any luck which suprised me because this controller have been
      on the market for quite some time as far as i know. Varian had one
      for 36$ but and i cant buy since im not owning a company. So what i
      wonder is if here might be anybody that have a manual to this or
      maybe a link or anything?

      I dont think it would be difficult to operate but it could be really
      interesting and good to know more about its specifications and maybe
      any calibration methods and so on.

      The one i have bought didnt has the high voltage cable to the tube
      but would it work with more or less just any highvoltage wire that
      could handle about 3KV or a highvoltage shielded BNC cable?

      There is very small currents flowing at strong vacuum but i guess
      that wouldnt affect so much, if any, if i had two separat cables that
      would be short?

      Regards Henry
    • Jim RabidWolf
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
        You can probably get a copy from Duniway Stockroom for $25.

        Jim RabidWolf Hickinbotham (Uncle Rabid)
        Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
        We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
        For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
        "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"
        NOW FULL TIME
        > I have searched what feels like the entire internet during a long day
        > without any luck which suprised me because this controller have been
        > on the market for quite some time as far as i know. Varian had one
        > for 36$ but and i cant buy since im not owning a company. So what i
        > wonder is if here might be anybody that have a manual to this or
        > maybe a link or anything?
        >
        > I dont think it would be difficult to operate but it could be really
        > interesting and good to know more about its specifications and maybe
        > any calibration methods and so on.
        >
        > The one i have bought didnt has the high voltage cable to the tube
        > but would it work with more or less just any highvoltage wire that
        > could handle about 3KV or a highvoltage shielded BNC cable?
        >
        > There is very small currents flowing at strong vacuum but i guess
        > that wouldnt affect so much, if any, if i had two separat cables that
        > would be short?
        >
        > Regards Henry
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        > 11/6/2007 10:04 AM

      • henry_3507
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2007
          25$? Thats really cheap, will contact them right away, thanks!

          Regards Henry

          --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
          wrote:

          > You can probably get a copy from Duniway Stockroom for $25.
          >
          > Jim RabidWolf Hickinbotham (Uncle Rabid)
          > Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
          > We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
          > For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
          > "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"
          > NOW FULL TIME

        • jrrymiller
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2007
            I don't have a manual for the cold cathode controller but I think what
            we are talking about here is some version of a Penning gauge. The gauge
            itself is typically a cold cathode immersed in a powerful magnetic
            field. The controller applies a high voltage to the cathode and
            indicates pressure by measuring the current flow. Permanent magnets
            provide the magnetic field. Penning gauges are described invarious on
            line sources. If there is interest in this gauge I will research my
            files for more information.

            Jerry Miller
          • henry_3507
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
              Its a Varian 525 CC gauge and controller so yes a penning variant. I
              got the CC yesterday and had to open the controller up and se how it
              worked and expected a lot of electronics in it. I was utterly
              suprised when it didnt had any active components in it at all! There
              was only a HV transformer, a HV diod, two capacitors where one was a
              HV type to rectify the HV, two resistors and.. thats it! Gees and
              they take over 1000$ for these complete with tube when the controller
              doesnt contain anything expensive at all to justify a price like
              that, ok i didnt bought it for this price but still. The tube is also
              very simple in construction but i wont open it up even if it would be
              easy since its build to.

              Well that would be very kind that you would but i first thought that
              it would be a lot more advanced and a lot of connections and so on
              but it seems to be very easy to handle and there is even a connection
              diagram over the connections on it. I would then only ask you for any
              more info if you would really feel for it and if not thats totally ok
              with me. Thought that there might be some info that i might need to
              know or so but it really doesnt matter now.

              There wasnt any highvoltage cable to it to the CC tube but i think it
              isnt that extremely picky as long as it could handle 3KV or so, if
              you might know anything how it is about that?

              You dont otherwise happen to have any information, connection diagram
              or anything for a Varian multi vacuum gauge control board named D-
              E15002390?

              Regards Henry

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "jrrymiller" <gandamiller@...> wrote:

              > I don't have a manual for the cold cathode controller but I think
              what
              > we are talking about here is some version of a Penning gauge. The
              gauge
              > itself is typically a cold cathode immersed in a powerful magnetic
              > field. The controller applies a high voltage to the cathode and
              > indicates pressure by measuring the current flow. Permanent magnets
              > provide the magnetic field. Penning gauges are described invarious
              on
              > line sources. If there is interest in this gauge I will research my
              > files for more information.
              >
              > Jerry Miller
            • jrrymiller
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2007
                > There wasnt any highvoltage cable to it to the CC tube but i think it
                > isnt that extremely picky as long as it could handle 3KV or so, if
                > you might know anything how it is about that?

                Automobile sparkplug wires can easily handle this voltage. Most people
                prefer the kind that have metal wire although I would think either kind
                would work. Radio frequency coax cable is another resource for high
                voltage cable.
                Good luck,
                Jerry Miller
              • henry_3507
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 19, 2007
                  Sparkplug wire, yes ofcourse didnt thought about that at all, thanks
                  for the tip! And i think i could put a metal mesh on the outside like
                  there is in ordinary coaxial cables.

                  I have thought that there were involved very small currents and then
                  thought that i then would be needed a very low leaking cable to get
                  reliable results. But after some research so did i discovered that
                  the current isnt that low with this type of vacuum gauge that i first
                  thought, and especially not at the vacuum i had planned to work at.
                  But if it were a Bayard-Alphert type so could it be little of a
                  problem since these seemed to work with smaller currents due to their
                  working princip i guess.