{Spam?} [VacuumX] Re: Aluminizing Mirrors (Chamber-Bell or Spray)

  • Alfredo Neves
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      Do they use centrifuges for wine production. Chile produces alot of
      wine, maybe I will get lucky!

      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dominic-Luc Webb <dlwebb@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 30 May 2007, Ken Hunter wrote:
      >
      > > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Dominic-Luc Webb <dlwebb@> wrote:
      > > > Old discarded ultra-centrifuges can sometimes be had for free,
      and
      > > > achieve required vacuum as is.
      > > >
      > > > Dominic-Luc Webb
      > > >

      > > Maybe in your neighborhood!
      > > Everything I find has something to do with cows...
      > >
      > > Ken Hunter
      >
      > Admittedly, there is a lot of garbage out there, but many of us
      > who use ultra-centrifuges know a common failure mode in these
      > machines. These have very high speed motors that stop working.
      > They are very expensive to replace, so machines end up discarded.
      > Interestingly, the vacuum pumps often still work, but the labs
      > that use these are usually doing molecular biology and biochemistry
      > and have no interest in making optical coatings. There are not too
      > many other uses in most labs for the vacuum components, so it is
      > not so common to dismantle these components before discarding. I
      > have come across several. It is not realistic to send to you in
      > the States because these are very heavy (I'm in Sweden). I could
      > suggest contacting a few universities with molecular biology and
      > biochemistry facilities.
      >
      > Dominic

    • Thomas Janstrom
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007

        Hi Alfredo,

        If there is a major university do Bio research (yeast improvement etc) then you might get lucky, but just generally in wine making there is no need for an ultra-centrifuge. I should know I’m a professional winemaker!

        Thomas.

        Do they use centrifuges for wine production. Chile produces alot of
        wine, maybe I will get lucky!

        --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups .com, Dominic-Luc Webb <dlwebb@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, 30 May 2007, Ken Hunter wrote:
        >
        > > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups .com,
        Dominic-Luc Webb <dlwebb@> wrote:
        > > > Old discarded ultra-centrifuges can sometimes be had for free,
        and
        > > > achieve required vacuum as is.
        > > >
        > > > Dominic-Luc Webb
        > > >

        > > Maybe in your neighborhood!
        > > Everything I find has something to do with cows...
        > >
        > > Ken Hunter
        >
        > Admittedly, there is a lot of garbage out there, but many of us
        > who use ultra-centrifuges know a common failure mode in these
        > machines. These have very high speed motors that stop working.
        > They are very expensive to replace, so machines end up discarded.
        > Interestingly, the vacuum pumps often still work, but the labs
        > that use these are usually doing molecular biology and biochemistry
        > and have no interest in making optical coatings. There are not too
        > many other uses in most labs for the vacuum components, so it is
        > not so common to dismantle these components before discarding. I
        > have come across several. It is not realistic to send to you in
        > the States because these are very heavy (I'm in Sweden). I could
        > suggest contacting a few universities with molecular biology and
        > biochemistry facilities.
        >
        > Dominic

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Dominic-Luc Webb
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
          On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Alfredo Neves wrote:

          > Do they use centrifuges for wine production. Chile produces alot of
          > wine, maybe I will get lucky!

          No. These are never for large scale production of any such thing.
          They are used to spin down a few millileters of cell extracts at
          a time, for instance.

          Dominic-Luc Webb
        • Alfredo Neves
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
            Hi Guy,

            Just kidding! Making the same point as Ken!!!

            Regards,

            Alfredo

            --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Alfredo,
            >

            > If there is a major university do Bio research (yeast improvement
            etc) then
            > you might get lucky, but just generally in wine making there is no
            need for
            > an ultra-centrifuge. I should know I'm a professional winemaker!
            >

            > Thomas.

            Behalf Of
            > Alfredo Neves
            > Sent: Saturday, 2 June 2007 12:59 PM
            > To: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: {Spam?} [VacuumX] Re: Aluminizing Mirrors (Chamber-Bell
            or Spray)

            > Do they use centrifuges for wine production. Chile produces alot
            of
            > wine, maybe I will get lucky!
            >
            > --- In HYPERLINK "mailto:VacuumX%40yahoogroups.com"VacuumX@...,
            > Dominic-Luc Webb <dlwebb@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Wed, 30 May 2007, Ken Hunter wrote:
            > >
            > > > --- In HYPERLINK
            > and

            > > > Maybe in your neighborhood!
            > > > Everything I find has something to do with cows...
            > > >
            > > > Ken Hunter
            > >
            > > Admittedly, there is a lot of garbage out there, but many of us
            > > who use ultra-centrifuges know a common failure mode in these
            > > machines. These have very high speed motors that stop working.
            > > They are very expensive to replace, so machines end up discarded.
            > > Interestingly, the vacuum pumps often still work, but the labs
            > > that use these are usually doing molecular biology and
            biochemistry
            > > and have no interest in making optical coatings. There are not
            too
            > > many other uses in most labs for the vacuum components, so it is
            > > not so common to dismantle these components before discarding. I
            > > have come across several. It is not realistic to send to you in
            > > the States because these are very heavy (I'm in Sweden). I could
            > > suggest contacting a few universities with molecular biology and
            > > biochemistry facilities.
            > >
            > > Dominic

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            1/06/2007