Re: Hey, Ken

  • Ken Hunter
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
      wrote:

      > I remember when Lake Meredith was a valley ...
      >
      > There are seven Indian burial grounds under the lake - we didn't
      tell, so
      > now they can't be disturbed <G>

      I guess you haven't been here for a while... some of them are above
      ground again. The lake is very low, about 60 feet below the top of
      the Dam I'd guess. The marina is kinda in a pond area and all the
      water access ramps are high and dry. The camp grounds and ramp across
      the river is almost a mile from the water now. Really sad situation.

      We keep hoping for a really wet winter so that N.M. will release
      water from upstream but that hasn't happened in the 4 years I've been
      here. Borger is stable or better. They are building an addition to
      the Phillips refinery and have all the trades folks working. That's
      why I can't find anyone to help put up my shop. Fritch is still
      alive, barely, the tourism industry folded when the lake dried up.
      Everything related to the lake is for sale or sitting vacant now.

      There's actually a fair bit of surface water still but it's so
      shallow in most areas that the only safe boating is around the dam
      area. I'd say "come out and visit" but I wouldn't wan't to see you
      depressed. Of course, if you're in the area, I'd be depressed if you
      didn't stop by for a visit.

      Take care...

      Ken Hunter