Leaks, leaks, leaks

  • Jim RabidWolf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1 12:53 PM
      Well, I got the Savant VP100 fully rebuilt and decided a test was in order. I used a 7 gallon tank (portable air tank) - removed the tire fittings, guage and Shrader valve, hooked everything up with a 1/2 inch double male adaptor, to a 1/2 tee, 5/8 barb on one end for the vacuum hose (very thick wall - 1/4 inch). On the other end, I came out to a 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch adaptor. That goes to a short (1 1/2 inch) length of tube to a 1/8 inch tee. On that tee, one side is a Varian 531 TC, the other a male plug.

      I originally taped everything up with teflon tape - it took almost an hour to pump it down to .2 Torr. MMMMM .... not so good.

      Ok, the I pulled everything loose, retaped, added a bit of vacuum grease - learned a very important lesson about vacuum grease and teflon tape. Dupont Vacuum Grease dissolves (read melts) teflon tape. Couldn't pull it down past 1 torr in 45 minutes.

      Alright, so I pulled it all apart again, pipe doped it (after cleaning away the goo left by the previous debacle) and tried again - the TC is still teflon taped, as is the plug (for venting). Pulled .5 torr in 15 minutes - much better, even though it's obvious that I have A LOT of leak yet.

      I'd think it would pull down much faster than that. So, the next step, I'll pull this all apart, thread the pieces together as tightly as possible (with the exception of the vent plug and the TC) and solder them. Then we'll try again.

      Other odd thing that happened was the oil turned slightly milky - I'm wondering how much moisture I picked up. I've run the pump with the input open and the gas ballast open for about 45 minutes and it almost completely cleared up. We'll see. The oil I'm using is the last of the Savant oil I have left. I think I need to invest in some Invoil - this stuff was $138.00 a quart. (before the rebuild, I have a jar full that is clear, but reddish brown in color due to the rust that was in the unit - I'm wondering if that can be filtered out?).

      Jim RabidWolf
      Uncle Rabid ( http://www.unclerabid.com )
      We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
        For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
      "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"
    • Thomas Janstrom
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1 3:21 PM

        Teflon tape isn’t too good for your roughing pump, little tiny bits of Teflon tape (they look a lot like micro chop strand fibre glass under the microscope) get into the pump and cause problems with the oil and the vane fit in the pump itself.

        As an aside I think this is why I got my roughing pump so cheap ($14 plus postage) I found Teflon goo in (on) the pump housing, oil and sump and I had to replace the second stage vanes, seals and the list goes on and on….

        YMMV

        Thomas.

[...]

      • Anderson, Gordon (Hovensa)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1 3:27 PM

          Would using a blank with a TC gauge connected get ultimate pressure?  If you get rated pressure then shouldn't you also get rated throughput?

          Gordon Anderson x3239

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1 4:19 PM
            That's why I make sure it don't get down to no pump innards, Bro <G>

            Thinking about using 2 part epoxy putty on the outside of the joints as a temp fix (Just not on the TC and the vent plug!)

            But I need to get moving on the vacuum platfrom, anyway - I have a piece of ground steel, about 20x24x5/8" for a baseplate to go under my 10" dia. x 18" tall Pyrex bell jar....

            JRW

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1 11:32 PM
              Coverved all the joints in a plastic putty compound (firm set, easily removed) - the unit pumped the 7 gallon tank down to .2 torr in about an hour (still a leak or three - but I believe that to be the hose connection) - got down to .5 in about 30 minutes. A little putty made a drastic difference.

              JRW

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2 9:14 AM

                Just out of curiosity; how old is this former compressed air tank? Is it steel or stainless?

                The reason for asking these questions is that you may have pinhole defects caused by manufacturing, use, and/or corrosion.

                I would pull the best vacuum you can and see if the tank alone can hold it. If it doesn’t hold it, I submerse it in water/soap mixture and pull it down again. If it holds it better then one you have verified at least one source of the leaks. If you slowly bring it to atmosphere; dry it off and look inside, you may see the locations as wet areas, if not then try pressurizing it to 80% max rated and see if foam forms.

                At any rate as suggested by someone earlier I would epoxy paint the whole thing and I would add media blasting (Plastic media, or baking soda).

                Jack

              • Jim RabidWolf
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2 12:21 PM
                  I'm not sure what you mean, Gordon, I think I'm a bit dense today...

                  JRW

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2 1:32 PM

                    If you can close couple your TC gauge to the pump suction (dead head it without the tank) you should reach the maximum vacuum of the pump by eliminating the leak sources all together.  Thus the test of your rebuilt pump will be complete.

                    Gordon Anderson x3239

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2 4:56 PM
                      Brand new, Jack. I pressurized it and it held air at 90 lbs for a week - haven't set it up with a vacuum valve that I can lock yet, but I plan to try this - this was mainly experimental to test the pump. Hope to set the bell jar up soon (like start the table this weekend - have some cutting to do in the mill on that one!)

                      Worst problem is, not having a valve, when I turn off the pump it has a tendency to suck oil up the line - actually right up into the tank once, had to wash it out with MEK (thank goodness it's high quality vacuum pump oil with a low vapor pressure !) - even had oil in the TC - which I was also glad was a quality component (Varian) - flushed it out after draining and all is well again.

                      Rabid

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2 4:58 PM
                        oh = that reached 2.4x10-4 (used my GP236 which uses an ion gauge tube as a pirani tube until it hits the low range for ion - then switches over to ion mode.)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2 10:21 PM
                          Last round this evening - .18 Torr in 40 minutes (reached .2 in about 20) - looks like a pinhole leak. Tomorrow I'm going to let it run a couple of hours and see where it ends up (also going to test it against another controller (I only own 4, 3 TC/Ion, 1 Ion only, but uses the Ion as a Piriani gauge down to 1x10^-3).

                          If anyone is using Televac, let me know. I have  a pair of brand new (old stock) 2A TC's that don't work with any of the GP or Varian/Norton equipment I have. Trade?

                          Rabid

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3 6:56 AM
                            Hi Jim: I built air compressures and put together air tanks for a while for a company and some of the tanks not all had a waxey petro coating in side to keep the tanks from rusting from consendation while in storage before use.we had trouble with the air compressures auto drain valves getting stuck from the compound,this may be some of your leak-just food for thought-ed

                            Jim RabidWolf <unclerabid@...> wrote:
[...]

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Jim RabidWolf
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 3 6:47 PM
                              I'd be willing to be it is and this stuff has a high vapor pressure. Thanks!

                              Rabid

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 3 8:42 PM
                                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...> wrote:

                                > A little putty made a drastic difference.
                                >
                                > JRW

                                Jim,

                                Why not just use some "Glyptal" or oil based paint?

                                Ken Hunter
                              • Jim RabidWolf
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4 12:52 AM
                                  I would if this were permanent, Ken. I just had the gas ballast knob come off in my hand a few minutes ago, THAT's a bummer - I can turn a new one on the lathe, but it's a pain - odd thread.

                                  BTW - had you bought any Glyptol lately?? I cannot believe the price they're getting for it.

                                  Rabid

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 4 10:03 AM
                                    --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...> wrote:

                                    > I would if this were permanent, Ken. I just had the gas ballast knob
                                    come off in my hand a few minutes ago, THAT's a bummer - I can turn a
                                    new one on the lathe, but it's a pain - odd thread.

                                    > BTW - had you bought any Glyptol lately?? I cannot believe the price
                                    they're getting for it.

                                    > Rabid

                                    I would think that fingernail polish would do about as well, easily
                                    removed with acetone and comes in your favorite colors too. If applied
                                    under vacuum, it should enter the leak and plug it up as long as it is
                                    a small one.

                                    Since you are set up to do the test already... why not try it? I'm
                                    sure your wife won't mind (if you don't get caught).

                                    Ken Hunter
                                  • Jim RabidWolf
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 4 8:53 PM
                                      Actually, being an Indian, I do a lot of beading - so I actually have MY OWN bottles of polish - mostly clear - I use it to seal the ends of the beading thread - the idea had crossed my mind.

                                      I repaired the gas ballast knob (the threads broke off) with CA glue temporarily - I'll call Precision tomorrow and order a new unit - barring the availability of that, I'll cut a brass tube to run down thru the unit to strengthen it - it's plastic and kind of crappily made. I suppose I could cut a new one out of Fortal - the threads seem to 1/4-18 tube (It's .503 in diameter with 18 threads per inch - it appears to be cut slightly oversized to give a tight fit). If I could find of block of HDPE or HDPV plastic, I could turn it out of that, but the stuff's kind of hard to come by sometimes).

                                      We'll see how it goes...

                                      Thanks,

                                      Rabid

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 5 5:02 AM

                                        You may be able to form new threads using epoxy putty.

                                        Gordon Anderson x3239

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 5 9:32 AM
                                          Actually, what happened is the threaded portion snapped off. I e-mailed Prescision Plus this morning to see about the part (haven't heard back yet), but my "temporary fix" will be to bore straight thru and JB Weld a thin wall brass tube in the stem (it's hollow, you have to see the thing to understand). Then, I'll plug up the top end of the tube (or maybe do that first with solder, then epoxy the tube in).

                                          Rabid