New diffusion pump

  • arcstarter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      OK, I just bought a used diffusion pump.
      Inlet is about 3 inches.
      Outlet is about 1 inch.
      Height is about 12 inches.
      Water cooled with normally closed thermostat device on the water
      jacket.

      Since I don't have a spec sheet, I am at a bit of a loss as to how
      to proceed. For instance, how do I determine what volume of oil to
      use? The label indicates that this is an Alcatel model 6063 (which
      I have looked for on the 'net but not been able to find specs on).
      There are fields on the label for power, liters/minute etc but the
      numbers were not inserted!

      The heater is also a bit of a mystery. There are apparently two
      heating elements, currently wired in series but with all three leads
      coming out of the can. Element one (which is physically located on
      the outside edge of the heating base) measures 134 ohms. Element
      two (which is located in the center of the base) measures 248 ohms,
      but has heavier gauge wires than the outer heater.

      Rumor has it that this is wired for 220 volts, but this is not
      necessarily accurate. There is a 4th wire which is tied to the pump
      chassic ground and is not shared with the heaters. If 220 volts
      were applied to these two elements in series - power would be about
      126 watts. Is this wattage in the ballpark for a water-cooled unit?

      The other way to wire it would be to apply 220 across the elements
      in parallel, whcih would produce ~560 watts total dissipation -
      which seems perhaps a bit more reasonable for the water-cooled
      jacket?

      Can anyone advise me about typical wattages for a unit of these
      dimensions? Does anyone have information on a dual-coil heating
      element for these sorts of things?

      Thanks in advance!
      -Bill
    • Gomez
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
        On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 09:48 AM, arcstarter wrote:

        > OK, I just bought a used diffusion pump.
        > Inlet is about 3 inches.
        > Outlet is about 1 inch.
        > Height is about 12 inches.
        > Water cooled with normally closed thermostat device on the water
        > jacket.
        >
        > Since I don't have a spec sheet, I am at a bit of a loss as to how
        > to proceed. For instance, how do I determine what volume of oil to
        > use? The label indicates that this is an Alcatel model 6063 (which
        > I have looked for on the 'net but not been able to find specs on).
        > There are fields on the label for power, liters/minute etc but the
        > numbers were not inserted!

        Have you tried calling up Alcatel?
        http://www.alcatelvacuum.com/all/dyn/contacts/

        > The heater is also a bit of a mystery. There are apparently two
        > heating elements, currently wired in series but with all three leads
        > coming out of the can. Element one (which is physically located on
        > the outside edge of the heating base) measures 134 ohms. Element
        > two (which is located in the center of the base) measures 248 ohms,
        > but has heavier gauge wires than the outer heater.

        Differential heating of diffusion pumps is mentioned in the literature,
        to achieve a temperature gradient across the base of the stack, from
        inside to outside. This is probably in support of that, although
        without the technical docs, there's probably no way to tell how to
        set yours up correctly.
      • RON WHITE
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
          Bill
          One of the pumps I bought had a plug normaly used for 220V --I pulled the cartridge out and it was stamped 110V ---Glad I checked!
          if you can match the size your pump with a catalouge pump  you can try using the same amount of oil. I haven't got any idea how critical the oil level is.
          arcstarter <arcstarter@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

        • James Lerch