Lens coating questions...

  • Ken Hunter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
      2 Questions...

      1. How to determine the material a lens is coated with.

      2. How to safely remove the coating without disturbing the optical
      surface underneath the coating.

      I have a fairly large refractor objective that needs recoated and I
      think the coating is mag-fluoride but I'd like to be sure of it's
      properties and how to remove it so I can recoat the glass.

      Anyone with experience here?

      Ken Hunter
    • Preston
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2006
        Hi Ken, Roger replyed from the Stewart Mirror Lab that Hydrochloric
        acid + copper sulfate will strip off mag. floride. Proportions don't
        seem to be important and this as you know can also be used on
        stripping a mirror of aluminum.

        Most all lenses are coated with mag. floride with very few exceptions.

        Hope this helped,

        Regards,

        Preston