Connectors for a crystal sensor feedthrough.

  • Thomas Janstrom
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005

      Hi All,

      I’m just trying to “design” a feed through for my crystal sensor system (Inficon XMS-1 based, provided the thing actually works mind you!), anyway I was wondering what connectors would be best for the outside of the feed through, all the specs I’ve seen so far use a BNC connector, but on the inside they use a “microdot” connector which I’ve never heard of, so I don’t know who makes ‘em or where to fine the specs.

      That said, if I was going to use a different connector on the hivac side what would be a good choice anyway?

      Now something else that’s been sitting at the back of my mind is, are there any common epoxies that are reasonably vacuum rated? I was thinking of filling the core of the feed through with epoxy to seal it….

      Cheers, Thomas.

      --
      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

    • James Lerch
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 9, 2005

          Masterbond (www.masterbond.com) makes low outgassing epoxies suitable for high vacuum use. NASA requires certification of epoxies used in space shots so do a Google search for NASA outgassing epoxies and you’ll find a bunch. I’ve used epoxy to temporarily fill gouges in bell jar seats and it works quite well, of course it’s temporary unless it works.

          For the connectors, try http://www.microdotconnectors.com/. Microdot connectors are a subsidiary of Tyco electronics. It’s been a while since I’ve looked into it but as I recall they’re pricy little suckers. They’re cool little connectors but they can be a pain to work with. The cables do go bad and something always ends up in the way of the feedthrough where you can’t quite get them back on if you manage to get them off in the first place.

          Enjoy,

          David Grove

          www.luxel.com

          Those who cast the votes decide nothing; those who count the votes decide everything.

          Joseph Stalin

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005

            Well, that does make my choice of filler much simpler, so long as I (this is pure supposition) keep the bubbles to a minimum any “good” epoxy should work. So that does make my design and construction work for this feed through so much easier.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005

              Thanks for the links, I think I’ll go with the epoxy that I have on hand, real expensive, low residual amide type. And no I don’t recall the brand, but I can check in the morning.

              I wasn’t specifically looking for microdot connectors, but for something that would do the job as well or better, size isn’t really an issue, so something bigger and a bit beefier, and (and hell this is just me) less fiddly to use would be great. But at least I now know some of the attributes I’m looking for, very important that.

              I’ll keep everyone informed on how I go….

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005
                Hi Thomas...

                I have microdot connectors and decided not to use them... I'm making
                your oscillator and crystal holder with BNC connectors and you can
                make the feedthrough with the type BNC connectors that screw in
                (Bulkhead) or that have screw holes in the 4 corners. The
                feedthrough would have a short piece of wire inside and sealed with
                epoxy as you suggest.

                Ken Hunter

                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >

                > I'm just trying to "design" a feed through for my crystal sensor
                system
                > (Inficon XMS-1 based, provided the thing actually works mind you!),
                > anyway I was wondering what connectors would be best for the
                outside of
                > the feed through, all the specs I've seen so far use a BNC
                connector,
                > but on the inside they use a "microdot" connector which I've never
                heard
                > of, so I don't know who makes 'em or where to fine the specs.
                >

                > That said, if I was going to use a different connector on the
                hivac side
                > what would be a good choice anyway?
                >

                > Now something else that's been sitting at the back of my mind is,
                are
                > there any common epoxies that are reasonably vacuum rated? I was
                > thinking of filling the core of the feed through with epoxy to
                seal it..

                > Cheers, Thomas.
                >

                > --
                19/07/2005

              • Thomas Janstrom
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005
                  Hi Ken,

                  I had a look at the microdot site, not only did they look very fiddly to
                  use, but seeing as space isn't really a major concern, even if smaller
                  would be better/nicer and as it's not my first priority, I would
                  actually prefer to use a slightly larger connector. They just make the
                  machining and fitting that little bit easier. I hate working with
                  tweezers on these kind of projects!

                  BTW I still haven't got a total out of the vendor, I wouldn't have
                  thought getting a quote from UPS on a box of X size and Y weight would
                  be that difficult, or take this long.... Maybe I should remind him that
                  I have some money for him :).

                  Let me know when you want the money for the crystal holder etc and I'll
                  PayPal you.

                  Clear Skies, Thomas.
                  www.tjanstrom.com
                  www.norsewines.com.au

                  wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >

                  > I'm just trying to "design" a feed through for my crystal sensor
                  system
                  > (Inficon XMS-1 based, provided the thing actually works mind you!),
                  > anyway I was wondering what connectors would be best for the
                  outside of
                  > the feed through, all the specs I've seen so far use a BNC
                  connector,
                  > but on the inside they use a "microdot" connector which I've never
                  heard
                  > of, so I don't know who makes 'em or where to fine the specs.
                  >

                  > That said, if I was going to use a different connector on the
                  hivac side
                  > what would be a good choice anyway?
                  >

                  > Now something else that's been sitting at the back of my mind is,
                  are
                  > there any common epoxies that are reasonably vacuum rated? I was
                  > thinking of filling the core of the feed through with epoxy to
                  seal it..

                  > Cheers, Thomas.
                  >

                  > --
                  19/07/2005

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  7/10/2005
                • Ken Hunter
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > Let me know when you want the money for the crystal holder etc and
                    I'll
                    > PayPal you.

                    I'm kinda hanging back in case the box doesn't work as advertised.
                    Don't want to spend money foolishly...

                    Ken Hunter
                  • Thomas Janstrom
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 10, 2005
                      Yeah, always a bit of gamble buying cheap equipment sight unseen, I just
                      wish he'd give me the total owing so I can get the thing to you, at
                      least then we'd be able to figure out if it was money well spent or...
                      well the alternative doesn't really bear talking about;)

                      Clear Skies, Thomas.
                      www.tjanstrom.com
                      www.norsewines.com.au

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 14, 2005
                        Well that box should now be rather close to your place by now, seeing as
                        the vendor says he sent it out two days ago via UPS (tonight my time
                        will be three days....). Please let me know if it don't show up, so I
                        can start the "tracking it down crap shoot".

                        Clear Skies, Thomas.
                        www.tjanstrom.com
                        www.norsewines.com.au

                        > Let me know when you want the money for the crystal holder etc and
                        I'll
                        > PayPal you.

                        I'm kinda hanging back in case the box doesn't work as advertised.
                        Don't want to spend money foolishly...

                        Ken Hunter

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        13/10/2005
                      • Ken Hunter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 14, 2005
                          wrote:

                          > Well that box should now be rather close to your place by now, seeing
                          as
                          > the vendor says he sent it out two days ago via UPS (tonight my time
                          > will be three days....). Please let me know if it don't show up, so I
                          > can start the "tracking it down crap shoot".

                          OK Thomas, Will do!

                          Ken Hunter
                        • Thomas Janstrom
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 15, 2005
                            Ok, I ran the tracking number, eh I got curious, any way the up shot is
                            that it's slated to be delivered on the 18th, considering it was picked
                            up on the 13th (docs etc processed on the 11th) I wonder what's going to
                            take so long? I mean it's only going from Ca, it's not like it's in
                            Alaska or something.

                            I compared that to the times stated in the Jameco (electronics
                            components supplier, quite cheap and reliable) catalogue, who are
                            located quite close to the originating address, which gives a 2-3 day
                            time frame. All I can point to is the weekend being in the middle....

                            Well who can fathom the mind of freight companies, damned if I can! And
                            I have some experience with that lot;)

                            BTW I didn't realize that it weighed 26lbs, is it lead shielded or
                            something?

                            Clear Skies, Thomas.
                            www.tjanstrom.com
                            www.norsewines.com.au

                            > Well that box should now be rather close to your place by now, seeing
                            as
                            > the vendor says he sent it out two days ago via UPS (tonight my time
                            > will be three days....). Please let me know if it don't show up, so I
                            > can start the "tracking it down crap shoot".

                            OK Thomas, Will do!

                            Ken Hunter

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            14/10/2005
                          • Ken Hunter
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 15, 2005
                              Thomas,

                              It has a very large (probably dead) battery inside for keeping the
                              internal program intact. I took my battery and trashed it and put in
                              a set of banana jacks so that I can hook up a rechargable 12 volt
                              battery which works very well and drops the weight quite a bit. Once
                              you mount it of course the weight doesn't matter but shipping it
                              half way across the planet would be costly. I'll put in the banana
                              jacks for your controller and trash your battery too if it's dead
                              like mine was.

                              wrote:

                              > Ok, I ran the tracking number, eh I got curious, any way the up
                              shot is
                              > that it's slated to be delivered on the 18th, considering it was
                              picked
                              > up on the 13th (docs etc processed on the 11th) I wonder what's
                              going to
                              > take so long? I mean it's only going from Ca, it's not like it's in
                              > Alaska or something.
                              >
                              > I compared that to the times stated in the Jameco (electronics
                              > components supplier, quite cheap and reliable) catalogue, who are
                              > located quite close to the originating address, which gives a 2-3
                              day
                              > time frame. All I can point to is the weekend being in the
                              middle....

                              > Well who can fathom the mind of freight companies, damned if I
                              can! And
                              > I have some experience with that lot;)
                              >
                              > BTW I didn't realize that it weighed 26lbs, is it lead shielded or
                              > something?
                              >
                              > Clear Skies, Thomas.
                              > www.tjanstrom.com
                              > www.norsewines.com.au

                              Behalf
                              > Of Ken Hunter
                              > Sent: Saturday, 15 October 2005 12:47 AM
                              > To: VacuumX@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: [VacuumX] Re: Connectors for a crystal sensor feedthrough.
                              >
                              > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom"
                              <t_janstrom@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Well that box should now be rather close to your place by now,
                              seeing
                              > as
                              > > the vendor says he sent it out two days ago via UPS (tonight my
                              time
                              > > will be three days....). Please let me know if it don't show up,
                              so I
                              > > can start the "tracking it down crap shoot".
                              > >

                              > OK Thomas, Will do!
                              >
                              > Ken Hunter
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              > --
                              > 14/10/2005

                            • Thomas Janstrom
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 16, 2005
                                Well that explains the weight, btw what voltage is the battery anyway?

                                Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                www.tjanstrom.com
                                www.norsewines.com.au

                                wrote:

                                > Ok, I ran the tracking number, eh I got curious, any way the up
                                shot is
                                > that it's slated to be delivered on the 18th, considering it was
                                picked
                                > up on the 13th (docs etc processed on the 11th) I wonder what's
                                going to
                                > take so long? I mean it's only going from Ca, it's not like it's in
                                > Alaska or something.
                                >
                                > I compared that to the times stated in the Jameco (electronics
                                > components supplier, quite cheap and reliable) catalogue, who are
                                > located quite close to the originating address, which gives a 2-3
                                day
                                > time frame. All I can point to is the weekend being in the
                                middle....

                                > Well who can fathom the mind of freight companies, damned if I
                                can! And
                                > I have some experience with that lot;)
                                >
                                > BTW I didn't realize that it weighed 26lbs, is it lead shielded or
                                > something?
                                >
                                > Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                > www.tjanstrom.com
                                > www.norsewines.com.au

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                14/10/2005
                              • Ken Hunter
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 16, 2005
                                  wrote:

                                  > Well that explains the weight, btw what voltage is the battery
                                  anyway?

                                  Part of the weight is the internal power supply which has older type
                                  linear regulators... Power transformer, filter caps, regulator
                                  transistors on heatsinks etc to power the TTL circuitry and the
                                  battery charger.
                                • Thomas Janstrom
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 16, 2005
                                    Oops, really should read and then re-read posts BEFORE I reply;)

                                    Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                    www.tjanstrom.com
                                    www.norsewines.com.au

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 19, 2005
                                      Hi Ken,

                                      Just a quick question, did that box arrive as advertised?

                                      Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                      www.tjanstrom.com
                                      www.norsewines.com.au

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 20, 2005
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi Ken,
                                        >
                                        > Just a quick question, did that box arrive as advertised?
                                        >
                                        > Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                        > www.tjanstrom.com
                                        > www.norsewines.com.au

                                        Thomas,

                                        Yes, it was there when I got home. Have not had a chance to open it
                                        up or look at it though. I'm getting ready for a trip to Kansas City
                                        for 2 weeks and will try to get a look at it this weekend but I won't
                                        be able to do any mods until I return. I'm hoping to verify that it's
                                        working and worth doing the mods and will let you know this weekend.
                                        Hang in there...

                                        Ken Hunter
                                      • Thomas Janstrom
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 20, 2005
                                          Ken,

                                          Just wanted to know if it got there ok, take your time on the rest. I'm
                                          still chasing leaks, so I won't be coating anytime soon, at least not
                                          the rate I'm going;)

                                          Besides I also have to make some money to support this habit, er, hobby.

                                          Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                          www.tjanstrom.com
                                          www.norsewines.com.au

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 25, 2005
                                            Thomas,

                                            I didn't get a chance to look at your controller at all. Had to mail
                                            the box to Pakistan and get ready for the trip which included
                                            winterizing the pool/hottub etc. Just ran out of time but it will be
                                            at the top of my list when I return... (That means it will be at the
                                            bottom of my wife's list)

                                            ;0)

                                            wrote:

                                            > Ken,
                                            >
                                            > Just wanted to know if it got there ok, take your time on the
                                            rest. I'm
                                            > still chasing leaks, so I won't be coating anytime soon, at least
                                            not
                                            > the rate I'm going;)
                                            >
                                            > Besides I also have to make some money to support this habit, er,
                                            hobby.

                                            > Clear Skies, Thomas.
                                            > www.tjanstrom.com
                                            > www.norsewines.com.au

                                          • ed ward
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 25, 2005
                                              thomas I have seen several of your postings on vacuum
                                              feed throughs I am not the vacuum coating guru but I
                                              make vacuum feed throughs for my self my
                                              group-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/edsworkshp/ in the
                                              photo section under diy vacuum feed throughs I have a
                                              photo of several I made and if you have a lathe and
                                              some plastic or aluminum you can make very good ones
                                              for pocket change,I use the to make vacuum gauge heads
                                              and what ever if you have any questions let me know-ed

                                              http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                            • Ken Hunter
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 11, 2005
                                                Thomas...

                                                I'm back home and catching up on overdue (honey do) projects. Will get
                                                to your controller this week sometime.

                                                Ken Hunter

                                                --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hunter" <atm_ken_hunter@y...>