plans and things

  • Charles Mitchard
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
      Hi all, would anyone have any drawings (sketches) or plans that show how a
      vacuum system suitable for aluminising would be set up?
      In other words how do all the bits and pieces join together?
      The mechanicals and general wiring I would be ok with but valves, gauges,
      route taken by the pipe work I am at a loss.
      Failing any plans can a suitable book be recommended that is easily available?
      Many thanks
      Charles

    • Gomez
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
        On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 06:53 AM, Charles Mitchard wrote:

        > Hi all, would anyone have any drawings (sketches) or plans that show
        > how a
        > vacuum system suitable for aluminising would be set up?
        > In other words how do all the bits and pieces join together?
        > The mechanicals and general wiring I would be ok with but valves,
        > gauges,
        > route taken by the pipe work I am at a loss.
        > Failing any plans can a suitable book be recommended that is easily
        > available?

        I would suggest you start with some sort of books that explains the
        fundamental concepts, so that you will gain an intuitive understanding
        of what has to happen to make your system work.

        possible titles include:
        http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=6968970&matches=7&qsort=r

        http://www.alibris.com/search/
        search.cfm?qwork=5936307&ptit=Scientific%20foundations%20of%20vacuum%20t
        echnique%2E&pauth=Dushman%2C%20Saul&pisbn=&pbest=23%2E16&pbestnew=100000
        0%2E00&pqty=8&pqtynew=0&matches=8&qsort=r

        http://www.alibris.com/search/
        search.cfm?qwork=6983871&ptit=Vacuum%20deposition%20of%20thin%20films%2E
        &pauth=Holland%2C%20Leslie&pisbn=&pbest=21%2E95&pbestnew=1000000%2E00&pq
        ty=7&pqtynew=0&matches=7&qsort=r

        http://www.alibris.com/search/
        search.cfm?qwork=2899135&ptit=High%20vacuum&pauth=Maine%2C%20Charles%20E
        ric&pisbn=&pbest=2%2E95&pbestnew=1000000%2E00&pqty=45&pqtynew=0&matches=
        45&qsort=r

        And the classic "Procedures In Experimental Physics" should be on every
        hobbyist's bookshelf:
        http://www.alibris.com/search/
        search.cfm?qwork=5366428&ptit=Procedures%20in%20experimental%20physics&p
        auth=Strong%2C%20John%2C%20and%20Neher%2C%20Henry%20Victor&pisbn=&pbest=
        18%2E10&pbestnew=1000000%2E00&pqty=10&pqtynew=0&matches=10&qsort=r

        ..
        You start life with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience.
        The
        trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
      • James Lerch
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
          Charles,

          A good book to read, which I found rather helpful is:

          Procedures in Experimental Physics
          John Strong, Ph.D.
          Lindsay Publications, Inc.
          ISBN 0-917914-56-2

          Here are some websites that got me started.

          http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/oir/MMT/www.mmto.org/MMTpapers/pdfs/tm/tm03-8.pdf2

          http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~teare/mwo_al_main.htm

          http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/vacf/index.html

          I also have a bunch of pictures of my "junkyard wars" alluminizer on my site
          below.

          Take Care,
          James Lerch
          http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction,testing, and coating site)

          "Anything that can happen, will happen" -Stephen Pollock from:
          "Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos"
        • Charles Mitchard
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2003
            Thanks guys, a good starting point. Like most of my projects I'm trying to
            build from nothing and make as much as I can myself.
            regards
            Charles

            I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.
          • sloanpk2000
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2003
              Hi,
              Good books on general vacuum coatings are rare.

              I've been coating about 6 mirrors every weekend lately. There are 100
              secondary mirrors that I will apply enhanced silver. Multiple layer
              coats above silver greatly enhances protection and longevity of the
              silver coating.

              I have found a way to remove old AR coatings off most lenses and then
              recoat them.

              One important thing in coatings is substrate rotation. By using
              rotation and planetaries, if possible, increase consistency.

              We just purchased our 4th machine. This one has a 26" diameter
              chamber, cryo-pump, and roughing pump. Most importantly, it has
              optical monitoring, so we can do very precise interference filters.

              Al M
              Sirius Optics

              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, Charles Mitchard