Picture of pump

  • Geoff Nelson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi

      My webpage is now updated for those who are interested in the picture
      and note of how my vacuum system is coming along.

      http://myweb.absa.co.za/gjnelson/vacuum.htm

      Geoff
    • patinacreme@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005

        In a message dated 6/1/05 11:04:18 AM, gjnza@... writes:

        myweb.absa.co.za/gjnelson/vacuum.htm

        thanks Geoff
        that gives me some ideas
        guys I am still saving the cash to work on my vacuum project.   I have a few projects in front of this one so, it will be a while.

        Patina
      • ed ward
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
          thats cool geoff I make and cast a lot of my fittings
          myself those items cost so much for the home
          expermenter it hard to make head way-ed

          --- Geoff Nelson <gjnza@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > My webpage is now updated for those who are
          > interested in the picture
          > and note of how my vacuum system is coming along.
          >
          > http://myweb.absa.co.za/gjnelson/vacuum.htm
          >
          > Geoff

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Gomez Addams
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
            On Jun 1, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Geoff Nelson wrote:

            > My webpage is now updated for those who are interested in the picture
            > and note of how my vacuum system is coming along.

            Geoff, I am very impressed with your patience and determination in the
            face of limited resources.
            Well done!

            - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux,
            Denver, Colorado, USA
          • Ken Hunter
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
              > thats cool geoff I make and cast a lot of my fittings
              > myself those items cost so much for the home
              > expermenter it hard to make head way-ed

              Ed...

              I have a HyVac 28 pump and I assume the shaft direction is Clockwise
              when looking at the pump. Is this correct and at what speed should the
              pump turn? I asked the same question of the HyVac website Guru... His
              response was "whichever direction makes vacuum", no mention of the
              speed. Kinda crappy for a business reply!

              Ken Hunter
            • Gomez Addams
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                On Jun 1, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Ken Hunter wrote:

                > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
                >> thats cool geoff I make and cast a lot of my fittings
                >> myself those items cost so much for the home
                >> expermenter it hard to make head way-ed
                >
                > I have a HyVac 28 pump and I assume the shaft direction is Clockwise
                > when looking at the pump. Is this correct and at what speed should the
                > pump turn?

                As it happens, I have a Hyvac 28 myself. It turns clockwise looking at
                the pulley side of the pump.

                The spec sheet says 525 pump rpm. I had to find a mighty small motor
                pulley to get it there, too. I also learned that even though the spec
                sheet says 3/4 HP, a fan duty 1HP motor struggles to start that pump.
                I should have bought a compressor duty motor. (another spec sheet for
                the same pump says 1 HP is recommended).

                > I asked the same question of the HyVac website Guru... His
                > response was "whichever direction makes vacuum", no mention of the
                > speed. Kinda crappy for a business reply!

                But it's a perfectly useable reply which answers one of your questions
                at least - you only need to turn the pump about a quarter of a turn to
                figure out which way it needs to go. I gotta admit though, I was not
                terribly impressed by Hyvac's eagerness to help when I called them too.

                I've been told by several guys at a couple of different vacuum
                equipment companies that turning most vane pumps a little bit one way
                or another to find out the correct rotation won't hurt a thing. YMMV.

                - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux

                This message was made from 100% post-consumer recycled electrons.
              • ed ward
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                  hi ken yes I think clockwise is correct 525 rpm is max
                  you will need a capacitor start motor at 1 hp for that
                  rpm,you can drop the rpm for a smaller motor say 440
                  rpm at 3/4 hp and pump a little less volumn but should
                  start ok-ed

                  --- Ken Hunter <atm_ken_hunter@...> wrote:

                  > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward
                  > <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
                  > > thats cool geoff I make and cast a lot of my
                  > fittings
                  > > myself those items cost so much for the home
                  > > expermenter it hard to make head way-ed
                  > >

                  > Ed...
                  >
                  > I have a HyVac 28 pump and I assume the shaft
                  > direction is Clockwise
                  > when looking at the pump. Is this correct and at
                  > what speed should the
                  > pump turn? I asked the same question of the HyVac
                  > website Guru... His
                  > response was "whichever direction makes vacuum", no
                  > mention of the
                  > speed. Kinda crappy for a business reply!
                  >
                  > Ken Hunter

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ken Hunter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                    I have found a "REAL" 1 HP motor. It's nearly as large as the pump is
                    and it won't have any trouble starting or running this pump.

                    It's amazing how the HP standard has been bastardized over the years.
                    I bought a new SEARS benchtop band saw that advertized a 1 HP motor.
                    I could hold the blade in my fingers and turn it on... no movement of
                    the blade or motor. I took it back... I guarantee you won't do that
                    with the motor I have now.

                    Ken Hunter

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                      --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
                      > hi ken yes I think clockwise is correct 525 rpm is max
                      > you will need a capacitor start motor at 1 hp for that
                      > rpm,you can drop the rpm for a smaller motor say 440
                      > rpm at 3/4 hp and pump a little less volumn but should
                      > start ok-ed

                      Thanks Ed,

                      Thats why I started VacuumX, a place to get answers, trade goodies etc.

                      Ken Hunter
                    • ed ward
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                        motors are like that you have duty cycle,starting
                        torque,fan grade 731 watts is 1 hp of work load most
                        capacitor start motors will run most heavy start
                        loads-ed

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • ed ward
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                          ken check you rpm of your new 1hp motor and adjust the
                          pulley size to match you pump speed-ed

                          --- Ken Hunter <atm_ken_hunter@...> wrote:

                          > --- In VacuumX@yahoogroups.com, ed ward
                          > <edsworkshp@y...> wrote:
                          > > hi ken yes I think clockwise is correct 525 rpm is
                          > max
                          > > you will need a capacitor start motor at 1 hp for
                          > that
                          > > rpm,you can drop the rpm for a smaller motor say
                          > 440
                          > > rpm at 3/4 hp and pump a little less volumn but
                          > should
                          > > start ok-ed
                          > >

                          > Thanks Ed,
                          >
                          > Thats why I started VacuumX, a place to get answers,
                          > trade goodies etc.
                          >
                          > Ken Hunter

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Gomez Addams
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                            On Jun 2, 2005, at 8:00 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:

                            > I have found a "REAL" 1 HP motor. It's nearly as large as the pump is
                            > and it won't have any trouble starting or running this pump.
                            >
                            > It's amazing how the HP standard has been bastardized over the years.
                            > I bought a new SEARS benchtop band saw that advertized a 1 HP motor.
                            > I could hold the blade in my fingers and turn it on... no movement of
                            > the blade or motor. I took it back... I guarantee you won't do that
                            > with the motor I have now.

                            No kidding!

                            The latest crap the marketroids have been pawning off on us has been
                            "max horsepower developed". Somehow, they have convinced themselves
                            that some point on the torque curve can be interpreted as being a much
                            higher number than is technically possible. Of course, all one has to
                            do is multiply the marketroid HP number by 746 watts while staring at
                            the 15 amp wall plug they put on the tool to realize that it's all B.S.

                            :(

                            There was actually a class action lawsuit over air compressors sold by
                            DeVilbiss, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll-Rand, and Coleman Powermate,
                            which forced them to stop using deceptive advertising.

                            Apparently Sears / Craftsman didn't pay attention or thinks they are
                            immune, because they are still doing the same crap.

                            - Gomez

                            Do you want docs with that?
                          • ed ward
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                              no joke I built air equipment in the 7 to 15 hp range
                              we were using bangor motors they went from copper
                              windings to aluminum after several turned in toaster
                              ovens we had to change to belden motors no problem the
                              hp ratings were the same the bangor motors used twice
                              the starting current and under full load would draw
                              20% more current and produce over specs on heat-ed

                              --- Gomez Addams <gomez@...> wrote:

                              > On Jun 2, 2005, at 8:00 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:
                              >
                              > > I have found a "REAL" 1 HP motor. It's nearly as
                              > large as the pump is
                              > > and it won't have any trouble starting or running
                              > this pump.
                              > >
                              > > It's amazing how the HP standard has been
                              > bastardized over the years.
                              > > I bought a new SEARS benchtop band saw that
                              > advertized a 1 HP motor.
                              > > I could hold the blade in my fingers and turn it
                              > on... no movement of
                              > > the blade or motor. I took it back... I guarantee
                              > you won't do that
                              > > with the motor I have now.
                              >
                              > No kidding!
                              >
                              > The latest crap the marketroids have been pawning
                              > off on us has been
                              > "max horsepower developed". Somehow, they have
                              > convinced themselves
                              > that some point on the torque curve can be
                              > interpreted as being a much
                              > higher number than is technically possible. Of
                              > course, all one has to
                              > do is multiply the marketroid HP number by 746 watts
                              > while staring at
                              > the 15 amp wall plug they put on the tool to realize
                              > that it's all B.S.
                              >
                              > :(
                              >
                              > There was actually a class action lawsuit over air
                              > compressors sold by
                              > DeVilbiss, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll-Rand, and
                              > Coleman Powermate,
                              > which forced them to stop using deceptive
                              > advertising.
                              >
                              > Apparently Sears / Craftsman didn't pay attention
                              > or thinks they are
                              > immune, because they are still doing the same crap.
                              >
                              > - Gomez

                              > Do you want docs with that?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Gomez Addams
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                On Jun 2, 2005, at 10:57 AM, ed ward wrote:

                                > no joke I built air equipment in the 7 to 15 hp range
                                > we were using bangor motors they went from copper
                                > windings to aluminum after several turned in toaster
                                > ovens we had to change to belden motors no problem the

                                Baldor, maybe?
                                I thought Belden only made cable.
                                Never heard of Bangor.

                                > hp ratings were the same the bangor motors used twice
                                > the starting current and under full load would draw
                                > 20% more current and produce over specs on heat-ed

                                Yeah, you get what you pay for, that's for sure. But
                                good quality new motors sure are expensive at retail rates!
                              • ed ward
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  yes gomez that was a typing mistake thank you now
                                  bangor was a company out of brazil in the 70's that
                                  sold aftermarket electrical equipment thay were good
                                  for years as in a 15 hp motor with shipping for less
                                  the 600.00 now that has long went out of busness,I
                                  have an old belden motor on some equipment this has
                                  been 30 years they my sell motors now still I don't
                                  know but sears used belden motors on there old table
                                  saws I thank I have one on mine-ed

                                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250