Welcome Vacuum Experimenters!

  • Ken Hunter <atm_ken_hunter@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2003
      Gee...

      I sure hope I spelled that right!

      Anyway, Welcome to this new Yahoo Group for the casual experimenter
      in Vacuum or High Vacuum (from now on Vac or HiVac).

      Searching the web I've found a few places for more experienced vacuum
      workers that seem to really get into the Physics of what and how the
      molecules do what they do under low pressures. I've made a few
      requests on some of those lists and I either get a full-blown snow-
      job or an offer to sell me just the right do-dad for only a few
      thousand dollars. That kinda leaves me without a place to chat with
      folks that have some knowledge and are willing to share it.

      I am interested in HiVac in order to put together an Aluminizing
      chamber for telescope mirrors. I've been gathering parts for several
      years in order to build my system and have a barn full of goodies but
      was still looking for an 18 inch Bell Jar until last week when I
      found a surplus 24 inch SYSTEM. I will be travelling to Eastern PA
      this weekend to pick it up and will keep a running description on
      here (assuming there is any interest and/or members). I've seen
      Aluminum vaporized onto glass before and "it ain't rocket science".
      It's a fairly simple process but there are things to be aware of and
      to watch out for.

      So...

      Let's get together and have some friendly discussions on what works,
      what doesn't, things to watch out for, things to sell, trade, etc.
      I'm moderator only in the sense that I've started this group. I'll
      pretty much leave the daily running to the members but will step in
      if I'm asked or if I see a need... other than that, it's your group
      to use.

      Have fun, be kind, learn, teach, participate.

      Ken Hunter