Online project addressing intolerance

  • Angie Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011

      Dear Friends,

      If you are looking for a youth ministry program idea that addresses intolerance, you might want to consider the option below. For more information, please contact Haley Wright (her contact info is at the bottom of the email).

      Grace and Peace,

      Angie

      Angie Williams

      Director of Children's, Youth, Young Adult, and Higher Education Ministries

      Virginia Conference, UMC

      10330 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060

      PO Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058

      804-521-1135 or 1-800-768-6040, ext. 135

      Fax: 804-521-1179

      angiewilliams@...

      A Call to Fellow Americans

      Americans Pledge to Fight Intolerance

      As the 10th anniversary of 9/11 approaches, recent polls show 49% of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Islamic faith. This fact is despite a 2010 TIME poll reporting that 62 percent of Americans claim to have never met a Muslim.

      In response to this growing trend of intolerance, a new online project, “My Fellow American", enables people of all faiths and backgrounds to share a story about a Muslim they know personally. The centerpiece of the project is a short 2.5-minute film that juxtaposes voices of hate with everyday Muslim Americans. It serves as a call-to-action to stand up against hate speech, offering a platform for positive voices to be heard instead.

      My Fellow American offers an excellent opportunity to promote dialogue between Muslims and Christians. If you have any questions, are interesting in hosting an event, or would like more information about My Fellow American, email dialogue@...

      To learn more about the project, view and share stories, or make a pledge go to, http://myfellowamerican.us

       “Is there something wrong with being Muslim in this country? The answer is no, that’s not America.” (General Colin Powell)

      “Islam has always been a part of America’s story.” (President Barack Obama)

      With best regards,

      Haley
      --

      Haley Wright