All God's Children Camp HELP NEEDED

  • Casey Torrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011
      What is All God’s Children Camp? Children with an incarcerated mother or father, ages 7 to 12, spend a week at camp, participating in activities such as boating, swimming, hiking, archery, music, crafts, Bible study, and conflict resolution. Partnering with Virginia United Methodist camps, the All God’s Children Camp provides a week of sanctuary for children who face so many challenges in their lives: economic poverty; temporary living conditions; loneliness; low self-esteem; violence; and drugs.

      2011 Camp Dates and Locations
      *July 31-Aug 5 Camp Highroad in Middleburg (Northern VA)
      *August 7-12 Westview on the James in Goochland (Central VA)
      *August 14-19 Occohannock on the Bay in Belle Haven (Eastern VA)

      We need your help! Here are some ways to get involved:

      More information can be found by clicking: www.vaumc.org/agcc

      -Mentoring: These volunteers do not lead activities, but provide supervision, companionship and compassion to the children during their daily activities. They are the ones who assure the children that they are indeed all God’s children. Mentors are adults ages 17 and up.

      -Supplies: Your Sunday school class, UMM or UMW circle, or Vacation Bible School can help by collecting supplies, such as…new sleeping bags (plain colors - no special characters), pillows, pillow cases, flat twin sheets (no fitted sheets). Also, love notes/bracelets/journals can be donated as something special to give the kids. Specific camp supplies will be listed by early June. Supply drop off sites will also be posted in June but there will be a site at the conference office, one in Northern Virginia, and one on the Eastern Shore.

      -Transportation: Most of these families are not able to transport the campers to and from camp. We need church groups and individuals to help with this effort on Sunday afternoon and Friday afternoon of the camp weeks. We have campers from across the state so we need help in all regions.

      -Evening Programs: We need volunteer groups to come out in the evening to present special programs, missions, or just visit with our campers. Do you know of a neat performance group in the areas of camp? Pass on their information for us!

      -Prayer: The camp and children need your prayers. Alarming statistics show that these children are more likely than their peers to have behavioral problems, trouble in school, and likely to eventually be incarcerated. We hope to give these children the chance to break this cycle.

      -Financial Contribution: The camp is funded by individuals, groups, and churches. A scholarship of $350 sends one child to camp. Please make checks payable to VA Conference UMC. Also, please note in the memo line that it is for All God’s Children Camp or AGCC. Send all contributions to our office:
      AGCC
      Attn: Casey Torrence
      PO Box 5606
      Glen Allen, VA 23058

      If you have further questions or are able to help, please call Casey Torrence at 804-521-1138 or 1-800-768-6040 ext. 138 or email caseytorrence@...

      Casey Torrence, Director of All God’s Children Camp
      804-521-1138 or 1-800-768-6040 ext. 138
      caseytorrence@...
      www.vaumc.org/agcc