Get Your Passport Ready for the VaHomeschoolers Conference!

  • Stephanie Elms
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007

      Homeschooling – A Passport to Learning

       The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers

      2007 Conference and Resource Fair

      Science Museum of Virginia

      Richmond, Virginia

      July 20 – 21, 2007

      Grab Your Passport and Prepare for Inspiration!

      Come join us at the VaHomeschoolers 2007 Conference and Resource Fair – the Conference put on by homeschoolers for homeschoolers.

      As homeschooling parents ourselves, we at VaHomeschoolers have strived to create a conference that will inspire and inform you. The sessions are led by a range of speakers…from experts in their field to experienced homeschoolers like you who want to share their knowledge with others. What you won’t find are people trying to sell you on their particular product. Our goal is to present ideas that will make you think and that will help you homeschool to the best of your ability. There is no one “right” way to homeschool and our hope is that you learn something new, gain a fresh perspective and come away with a sense of camaraderie from being surrounded by people who share a passion for teaching their children!

      Get ready for a whirlwind tour with stops for everyone…young and old, “newbie” and “old-timer” alike. Less than a month until departure! Order your tickets today!

      First Stop – Dr. Thomas Armstrong

      VaHomeschoolers is very excited to bring nationally acclaimed author and speaker Dr. Thomas Armstrong to Virginia . His expertise in multiple intelligences and learning styles is sure to resonate with all homeschoolers. Guided by his belief that all children are gifted, Dr. Armstrong believes that “Each child comes into the world with unique potentials that, if properly nourished, can contribute to the betterment of our world. The biggest challenge for parents and teachers is to remove the roadblocks that keep those gifts from being recognized, celebrated, and nurtured.” You don’t want to miss it!

      Dr. Armstrong will speak on Awakening the Genius in Every Child: Discovering and Reviving the Natural Motivation that Exists in All Children at Birth. He explores the twelve qualities of the natural genius of students (including creativity, vitality, flexibility, curiosity, and playfulness), explores the neurological, developmental, and behavioral foundations of genius in kids, describes how that genius shuts down through influences in the home (“home-miliation”), the school (“dysteachia”), and the broader culture (“media-ocrity”), and finally, provides practical strategies that parents or educators can use to awaken that original genius in all children.

      Copies of many of Dr. Armstrong’s books (including his just released The Human Odyssey: Navigating the Twelve Stages of Life and the classic In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child’s Multiple Intelligences) will be available for sale at the conference. Dr. Armstrong will also be available for book signing, so don’t forget to pick up a copy or bring your own!

      To read more from this exciting speaker, check out Dr. Armstrong’s website: www.thomasarmstrong.com.

      Looking for New Inspiration? Next Stop - the Homeschool Methodology Roundtables.

      Looking for some new ideas to jump start your homeschooling this year? Be sure to make a stop at one or more of the Homeschool Methodology Roundtable sessions…a perfect place to get a taste of different homeschool styles. Learn why “living books”, nature studies and narration are important for homeschoolers inspired by Charlotte Mason’s teachings. Find out how Universal Tendencies, Planes of Development, Sensitive Periods and Prepared Environments can be incorporated into a Montessori based homeschool. Learn about how a Waldorf education focuses on an education for the whole child – head, heart and hands. Use Unit Studies to enrich every area of learning and meet the needs of multiple ages of children. And if you don’t like to be pinned down to one methodology, then Eclectic homeschooling just might be for you!

      Just Starting Out? Don’t Miss These Stops.

      So you have taken the leap and decided to homeschool. Empower yourself by learning about what is required to homeschool legally in Navigating Paperwork and Legalities. Got the legal part down? Be sure to get the rest of your questions answered in But What Do I Do On Monday? Not sure how to balance the educational needs of your older children when you have a toddler or baby in the house? Homeschooling With Infants and Toddlers will give you some ideas. Still a bit worried about homeschooling giving your child all they need to succeed? Check out the Homeschooling Outcomes: But Will They Get Along In The Real World? panel to hear experienced homeschool parents and teen and young adult homeschoolers address your concerns. We also realize that homeschool Dads have their own concerns. Come listen to experienced homeschool fathers who have “been there and done that” and lived to tell the tale at the How Father Figures panel.

       Been Homeschooling Awhile? We Have Something for You Too!

       As we all know, just when we have our kids figured out, they go and change on us! New joys and new challenges. With this in mind, we have lined up several sessions to help you as your child grows. Homeschooling the Tween Years helps you bridge the gap as your children move from childhood into more independent learners. Homeschooling the Teen Years: Nurturing the Whole Teen explores strategies to help homeschooling teens prepare for work, college and for life. On Course for High School discusses the various options available to cover high school material including community college, online courses, correspondence courses, homeschool co-ops, experiential learning, and tutors. And don’t forget Passport to College: Preparing Transcripts where experienced parents explain how they worked or are working toward creating the experience and the documents to gain their children admission to higher education.

      Looking for Something Different? Look No Further!

      We have sessions that cover aspects of modern life in Screen Time: Approaches to Television, Computer Use, and Video Games in Homeschooling Families and Homeschooling and Blogging. The Passport to Creativity: Writing for Self Publication session discusses how families can self-publish their works and words to engage young writers and their parents. The Passport to the World: Homeschoolers and International Studies and Incorporating the Arts into Home Education sessions illustrate how to add an extra dimension to your homeschool experience. Discuss the kinds of math, science, and critical thinking activities and academics that prepare children for the pursuit of engineering at the university level with the dean of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Engineering at the Engineering the Engineer roundtable. Do you have a child who learns differently? Reading, Writing and ‘Rithmetic for Right Brained Learners and A True Individualized Education: Homeschooling Special Needs can give you insight into tailoring your homeschooling to meet your child’s needs. And for pure inspiration there is Let Your House Do the Homeschooling which gives you tips for setting up your home so that it is conducive to home education.

      To read more detailed descriptions of the sessions offered, see www.vahomeschoolers.org/2007conference/sessions.asp.

      Be sure to check out 2007 Conference website www.vahomeschoolers.org/2007Conference/ for full details about the conference including Registration Forms and hotel information and information about the Vendor Hall, Used Resource Sale, Family Programming, Sessions, Speakers and more!

      The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers
      Your Resource. Your Voice. Your Association.

      Please feel free to forward this message to other homeschoolers and homeschool groups or email lists who might find this information useful. If this message was forwarded to you, be sure to join the VaHomeschoolers Announce List to receive future updates directly.

      Or via email: VaHomeschoolersAnnounce-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers

      PO Box 5131
      Charlottesville , VA 22905