Your Conference Favorites and the Changes You Asked For!

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12 1:44 PM
      The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers
      Your Resource. Your Voice. Your Association.

      2007 Conference and Resource Fair
      July 20-21, Science Museum of Virginia
      Richmond, VA

      THE CHANGES YOU'VE ASKED FOR!

      As you know, VaHomeschoolers is truly member directed. We're always looking for ways to more fully serve the homeschooling community. Member requests and comments are essential to this process. After last year's conference so many of you generously gave us constructive feedback about what you loved and what you didn't. This year the VaHomeschoolers's conference team has done a fabulous job creating a conference that meets your needs. Based on your comments and suggestions we've made many improvements to the 2007 Conference &Resource Fair. We're pleased with the new offerings and believe these changes will provide families with an even more enjoyable, customized experience.

       ACCLAIMED KEYNOTE SPEAKER

      VaHomeschoolers is excited to welcome Dr. Thomas Armstrong as Keynote Speaker at the2007 Conference. As a prominent international speaker and popular author of 13 books, we feel Armstrong represents the level of quality and excellence you're looking for in a conference experience. The homeschooling community has expressed a deep interest in understanding how kids learn through multiple intelligences. Thomas Armstrong is a strong advocate and recognized expert in this subject. He'll share his research, knowledge, and experiences with you in his conference presentation "Awakening the Genius in Every Child: Discovering the Natural Motivation that Exists in All Children".
      To provide families with a flexible schedule, we've arranged for Dr. Armstrong to give his presentation twice and you may choose which session time best suits your family - morning or afternoon.

       NEW HOST HOTEL

      This year we set out to find a family-friendly lodging facility that offers the features important to you.  Located just 2 miles from the Science Museum of Virginia, the Holiday Inn Crossroads near 1-64 will serve as the conference "headquarters". The hotel offers an outdoor pool, a fitness room, laundry facilities, free wireless Internet service, and a full-service restaurant. It's the perfect spot to be for Friday night festivities and conference socializing. Out-of-town speakers and leaders will be staying at the hotel and the Tropical Treats family program will be held onsite. Should you choose to extend your stay for sightseeing, you'll find the Holiday Inn Crossroads is central to many popular destinations within Richmond. VaHomeschoolers' has arranged a block discount rate for conference attendees and there is an overflow hotel available nearby if these spots fill up.

       IMPROVED LUNCH OPTIONS

      We think you'll look forward to lunch this year! We've contracted with anew company to provide you with higher quality selections. You now have a range of nutritious and delicious items to choose from and we've been able to reduce the price of the children's meal as well. Every adult meal comes with your choice of sandwich, two sides, a dessert and bottled water. Be sure to order your desired lunch by July 1st. In addition to this convenient option there is a small café available in the museum and several restaurants nearby.

       FREE RESOURCE FAIR

      The Resource Fair and the Used Resource Sale are free all weekend! This year there is no charge to preview the selection Friday evening. You may also choose to register as a Resource Fair Only attendee free of charge. The Resource Fair will be open Friday 4-7pm and Saturday 8am-5pm so you can browse the many offerings available from your favorite vendors. Admission to the Resource Fair will be free during the entire conference, but all attendees must register and receive a name tag.

      YOUR FAVORITES HAVE GOTTEN EVEN BETTER!

      We've brought back the most loved features of the conference and made them even better! We know you want the flexibility to create your own schedule during the conference, opportunity to mingle with other homeschooling families, and sessions with your favorite speakers. The VaHomeschoolers' conference aims to provide all these things and more!

       COOL OFF AT THE FAMILY SOCIAL

      Last year our ice cream party was a huge success and this year we're making it even better! Bring the whole family and join us Friday evening for a change in latitude as we kick off the conference with "Tropical Treats"- an ice cream social, talent show and art exhibit all in one! Meet other conference attendees and enjoy friendly conversation while treating yourself to cool, creamy snacks and then stick around to watch the fun Talent Show and browse the Art Exhibit. View creative works of art and watch performances by homeschoolers from all across the state.The whole family is welcome to participate! To sign up, please contact the "Tropical Treats" coordinator at party@... or call 804-262-8383.

       RETURNING BY POPULAR DEMAND

      You asked for it and we're doing it! We're pleased to announce that two of popular featured speakers last year, Jeanne Falconer and Cindy Gaddis,will be with us once again to present several all new sessions. This year you're getting even more of your favorites! Cindy Gaddis will lead two sessions, one on "right brain" learners and another on homeschooling children with special needs. Jeanne Falconer will join several other homeschooling parents for a round table discussion about international study and opportunities abroad. Later in the day she'll present a session about how to "Let Your House Do the Homeschooling". We're delighted to have these two wonderful speakers back this year and we're sure you'll enjoy attending their sessions.

       TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE BOOKSHELVES!

      Do you have books, videos, art supplies, textbooks and other items lying around unused? Perhaps you've boxed a few things up that you no longer need but can't figure out what to do with it. We've got the answer! You can clear out some space and give these items a new life by donating them to the VaHomeschoolers' Used Resource Sale. The proceeds will support VaHomeschoolers in working to protect and promote homeschooling in Virginia! Remember that donations to the Used Resource Sale are tax deductible.Use this opportunity to pass on the things you no longer need to another family and support VaHomeschoolers at the same time! If you have items you'd like to donate or questions about what is needed,please contact Traci Haden at usedresourcesale@VaHomeschooler s.org

       GET A JUMP ON THE CONFERENCE FUN

      Last year several talented teens dressed up to play historic figures in our"Famous Homeschoolers" program. This year everyone in the family can get crafty and creative! We're looking for volunteers to bring our"Passport to Adventure" program to life. Choose a country or region and create a tabletop display that includes a game or craft. You can approach it as a family project or have fun designing it with your local homeschool co-op. Participants will visit your country station to play the game or make the craft and have their passport stamped upon completion. VaHomeschoolers can provide you with craft supplies or reimburse you with prior approval. To make the program a complete success, we also need teens or adults to serve as Tour Guides. We think this opportunity really puts the 'family' back in family programming!For more information please contact Bronwyn McIntosh at passporttravel@...

       INFORMATION & SUPPORT - AND LOTS OF IT!

      We're offering 3 "Beginning Homeschooling" sessions this year including a free session Friday evening. When you register for the conference you can sign up for one or both of Saturday's sessions. We've expanded the presentation and included time for your questions! Part 1 concerns the paperwork and legalities of homeschooling while Part 2 gives an overview of how home education can work in your family. Additionally,we'll have a Support Group Information table available where you can find brochures, contact information, and details on support groups around the state. This year we're offering a Special Session for support group leaders and those interested in starting one. Come join us as we form the VaHomeschoolers' Support Group Council!

      WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

      Registration will open to the public on May 21st so members should register as soon as possible to ensure space is reserved for you if there are particular sessions you want to attend. If you are not a member, join or renew today to receive a substantial discount on conference registration!www.vahomeschoolers.org/join

       GO AHEAD - PASS IT ON!

      Please feel free to forward this message to other homeschoolers and homeschool groups or email lists who might find this information useful. If this message was forwarded to you, be sure to join the VaHomeschoolers' Announce List to receive future updates directly.

      Or via email:  VaHomeschoolersAnnounce -subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers

      www.VaHomeschoolers.org

      info@...

      PO Box 5131
      Charlottesville VA 22905