New Homeschool Information at VaHomeschoolers.org
Revised Virginia Home Instruction Laws Took Effect July 1
It is official! The new home instruction laws took effect on July 1, 2006. Not sure exactly what those changes were? Check out our brand new Virginia Law Related to Home Education page. Our new law page now provides direct links to the Code of Virginia, maintained by the Virginia General Assembly Legislative Information System and we have also expanded to include links to other parts of the law of interest to homeschoolers such as part-time enrollment, driver education, GED testing and more. And don’t forget, we also have links to the following:
Superintendent’s Memo No. 124 - details the guidance given to local superintendents by the Virginia Board of Education.
FAQs about 2006 Changes to Home Instruction Statute – provides answers to questions about the new law changes.
2006 Home Instruction Statute Changes – shows the changes made to the Home Instruction statute.
Major Updates to VaHomeschoolers’ Website
As part of VaHomeschoolers’ ongoing effort to provide Virginia ’s homeschoolers with the most up-to-date information, we have been diligently working on updating our website to reflect the new law changes. And we are taking this opportunity to add new pages and reorganize/update old pages as we go. This is an extremely large undertaking and will be an ongoing process over the next few months. So please pardon our virtual dust!
We have focused first on updating the Legal and Legislative pages, adding the following new pages:
- Virginia Law Related to Home Education – includes links to the Compulsory Attendance Code and Home Instruction statutes in addition to other parts of the law of interest to homeschoolers.
- Finding Local School District Policies- discusses the importance of and how to find your local school district homeschooling policies and regulations.
- Homeschooling Legal and Political Issues- pulls together links for legal and political issues of interest to homeschoolers including tax-credits, access to public school classes, vaccinations and more.
- Returning to School After Homeschooling- answers questions about the process of returning to school after homeschooling.
Please be aware that we are working on updating the Guide to Homeschooling in Virginia and the New to Homeschooling sections and plan to finish as soon as possible. In the meantime (since the August 15th NOI filing deadline is right around the corner) we have updated the following pages:
- Filing Your NOI – explains the four filing options and what to include with your NOI
- Optional Notice of Intent Form – optional form to use when submitting your NOI
We will announce new updates as they are made, so stay tuned! If you have any questions about our website, be sure to let us know by emailing Stephanie Elms, our Web Administrator.
Please feel free to forward this message to other homeschoolers who might find this information useful. And if this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive these updates directly, please join the VaHomeschoolers Announce list.