VaHomeschoolers Update November 1, 2005

  • Amy Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      VaHomeschoolers Update November 1, 2005

      From The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers: your fully inclusive, all
      volunteer, member-directed state homeschool organization. Since 1993,
      VaHomeschoolers has worked to protect and promote homeschooling through
      action in legislative work, assisting homeschoolers on an individual level,
      and providing information, speakers, events and resources. Join
      VaHomeschoolers in a snap at http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/join.html Visit
      VaHomeschoolers's web site at http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org

      In this update:

      1. NEXT TUESDAY IS ELECTION DAY! CAST YOUR VOTES FROM 6 A.M. TO 7 P.M.
      Have you remembered to educate yourself about the upcoming elections? Voting
      is a great vehicle for teaching your kids about what democracy means.
      VaHomeschoolers offers you some links (but never endorsements) to help you
      decide which candidates you will support.

      2. EVENTS
      Charlottesville: Piedmont Virginia Community College Faculty Art Show; Nov.
      2-30; Free!
      Urbanna: Urbanna Oyster Festival; Nov. 4-5, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
      Richmond: CARRY ME! a satirical story of Richmond, Race and Resistance; Nov.
      4 and 5 at 8 p.m.; Nov. 6 at 2:30 p.m. Free!
      Manassas: First Annual Manassas Chocolate Festival; Nov. 5, 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
      Charles City: Celebrate the First Thanksgiving at Berkeley Plantation; Nov.
      6; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
      Fredericksburg: Fall Fun Day at Ferry Farm; Nov. 8, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
      Richmond: How to Buy a Telescope class at the Science Museum of Virginia;
      Nov. 12, 9-11 a.m.
      Baltimore, MD: Homeschool College and Career Fair; Nov. 12, 8:30-4 p.m.
      Meadows of Dan and thereabouts: Tour Nancy's Homemade Fudge Inc., Mabry
      Mill, Fairy Stone State Park and the Virginia Museum of Natural History;
      anytime you like!

      3. CONTESTS & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
      Lee-Jackson Educational Foundation 2005-2006 Essay Scholarship Competition

      4. FREE RESOURCES
      Cartoonster.com
      Webmonkey for Kids
      Learn2Type.com
      Yodelcourse.com

      5. WEB SITES, GROUPS & E-MAIL LISTS
      HomeschoolRichmond.com
      Reading Planet
      Philosophy for Kids
      The Great Mirror
      Multiflyer

      "Each time I get the newsletter I am just blown away by the practical,
      informative and very useful articles. The newsletter alone is well worth the
      $15 membership fee!" -Stephanie Elms

      "When I joined VaHomeschoolers I had no idea was also subscribing to such a
      high-quality publication! I tend to devour it the moment it arrives --it's
      extraordinarily well-written and densely packed with useful information and
      support." -Jenny Meyer

      1. NEXT TUESDAY IS ELECTION DAY! CAST YOUR VOTES FROM 6 A.M. TO 7 P.M.
      Despite many people's apathy -- and in part because of it -- state elections
      are important; our representatives in Richmond make many of the laws that
      directly affect us and our communities. We homeschoolers need to be informed
      citizens. VaHomeschoolers never endorses any candidate for office, and
      always remains neutral on matters of religion, partisan politics and
      non-homeschooling issues. But we encourage our members and all homeschoolers
      to educate themselves on the candidates, consider their positions on a
      variety of issues and do your own research by checking their websites and
      (if the candidate is an incumbent) voting records. Here are a few online
      resources for you to consider as you make your decisions:

      Homeschoolers and the November Elections
      Virginia homeschooling laws and policies are made at the state and local
      levels, so these are the elections that affect homeschoolers the most. Read
      answers to a few of the questions that VaHomeschoolers has received from our
      members and other homeschooling families about this important election
      season.
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/HSers-Elections.PDF

      Project Vote Smart
      http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm
      Thousands of candidates and elected officials. Who works for you? Who is
      seeking your vote? Project Vote Smart, a citizen's organization, has
      developed a Voter's Self-Defense System to provide you with the necessary
      tools to self-govern effectively: abundant, accurate, unbiased and relevant
      information. As a national library of factual information, Project Vote
      Smart covers your candidates and elected officials in five basic categories:
      biographical information, issue positions, voting records, campaign finances
      and interest group ratings.

      Richmond Times-Dispatch Election Center
      http://vaelections.mgnetwork.com/index.cfm?siteid=rtd&packageid=80
      Articles, blogs, photos.

      Washington Post's Guide to VA Elections:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/08/08/LI2005080800811.html
      Articles, blogs, poll results, etc.

      VA State Board of Elections: Election Information
      http://www.sbe.state.va.us/Elections_Section.htm
      Includes "Where Do I Vote?," election results, candidates lists and ballot
      issues, more.

      US Elections.com
      http://www.uselections.com/va/va.htm

      WHY BUY FROM THE VaHomeschoolers BOOKSTORE?

      * Discount: You can often save 30% off the cover price!
      * FREE Shipping: Most items qualify for Amazon's free shipping
      * Homeschoolers' Book Reviews
      * Supports VaHomeschoolers, which receives a small percentage of the
      purchase price.
      * More Than Books: toys, movies, music, software, housewares, clothing and
      more!

      Visit the VaHomeschoolers Bookstore at
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/bookstore.html . If you can buy it at
      Amazon.com, you can support VaHomeschoolers with your purchase through the
      VaHomeschoolers Bookstore--at no additional cost to you!

      2. EVENTS

      Charlottesville: Piedmont Virginia Community College Faculty Art Show; Nov.
      2-30; Free!
      This is a free exhibition of faculty work, to be shown in the V. Earl
      Dickinson Bldg for Humanities and Social Sciences on the PVCC campus. The
      show will be open 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays
      and 1-5 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 434-961-5202 or see
      http://www.pvcc.edu/arts.asp

      Urbanna: Urbanna Oyster Festival; Nov. 4-5, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
      "A Salute to the Oyster," the Official Oyster Festival of the Commonwealth,
      is sponsored by the Urbanna Oyster Festival Foundation. There will be food,
      arts & crafts, a fireman's parade, an Oyster Festival parade, waterfront
      educational activities, an oyster shucking contest and competition for the
      titles of Oyster Festival Queen & Little Miss Spat. The Saturday parade of
      the Urbanna Oyster Festival has become the focal point of the weekend. It
      has grown from an event featuring antique cars and floats to a parade
      encompassing a large Shriners contingency, numerous marching bands, and
      beauty queens and their courts from across the state. This is an annual
      tradition that cannot be missed.

      Richmond: CARRY ME! a satirical story of Richmond, Race and Resistance; Nov.
      4 and 5 at 8 p.m.; Nov. 6 at 2:30 p.m. Free!
      Jennifer Hundley, actress and director in Richmond's Theatre Family, drama
      teacher at Collegiate Middle School, wife, mother of two, is in her final
      semester of graduate school at VCU. As a part of her thesis, she's written a
      play with music titled CARRY ME! Set in Richmond's Jackson Ward in 1968, the
      script explores race relations as well as social and political issues.
      Rating is PG-13. Jenny writes, "I hope that you'll come see my 'work in
      progress.' The play is in the early development stages and having an
      audience is key to the process." This event is free and reservations are not
      required (seating is first come, first served). CARRY ME! will be performed
      at the Shafer Street Playhouse's Richard Newdick Theatre, 221 Shafer Street,
      part of the VCU campus. You can call the Shafer Street Playhouse at (804)
      828-6026.

      Manassas: First Annual Manassas Chocolate Festival; Nov. 5, 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
      Indulge your passion for chocolate. Start off with a pancake breakfast,
      travel through Old Town Manassas during the day tasting a variety of
      chocolates from around the world. Enter your favorite recipe in the
      Chocolate Challenge. And end your day at the adults-only champagne and
      chocolate event in our very own Candy Factory (now a Center for the Arts
      facility.)
      http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3868410&showprevnext=1

      Charles City: Celebrate the First Thanksgiving at Berkeley Plantation; Nov.
      6; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
      Celebrate the 1619 landing of the original colonists at Berkeley Plantation.
      Join us at the site of the First Official Thanksgiving in America, for a day
      dedicated to history, food, and fun with tours of the 1726 mansion, walks in
      the colorful autumn gardens and a formal living history program. For more
      information, visit Berkeley Plantation's website at:
      http://www.berkeleyplantation.com/

      Fredericksburg: Fall Fun Day at Ferry Farm; Nov. 8,11 a.m.-2 p.m.
      On Election Day, Tuesday, November 8, vote 'yes' to having fun at the
      boyhood home of our first president. If the children are out of school and
      parents are looking for something fun to do with the family, come to the
      Farm and enjoy crafts (pumpkin decorating and sachet making), colonial
      games, storytelling, and the Mind and Muscle Obstacle Course. Safety and
      crime prevention demonstrations will be presented by Stafford County DARE
      and EMS representatives. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children.
      http://www.kenmore.org/

      Richmond: How to Buy a Telescope class at the Science Museum of Virginia;
      Nov. 12, 9-11 a.m.
      Science Museum Astronomy Director Ken Wilson helps you learn how to make an
      informed purchase. He can translate the scientific jargon and answer the
      important questions involved in buying a telescope. Cost is $7 for
      non-museum members and $6 for museum members. Space is limited,
      pre-registration is required. For registration and information, call (804)
      864-1411.

      Baltimore, MD: Homeschool College and Career Fair; Nov. 12, 8:30-4 p.m.
      I know this is a trek for most of you, but it still seems worth mentioning.
      The Excelsior Academy (formerly New Creation Academy) is sponsoring this
      event, which is open to the entire homeschool community and is geared for
      both college and career bound students. Featured Speakers include:
      college admissions representatives, college professors and administrators,
      The Princeton Review: Publishers of Cracking the New SAT, Maryland Higher
      Education Commission, and career school, apprenticeship, and military
      representatives. Workshops and Panels for Parents and Students, including:
      High School at Home: It's Easier Than You Think!; Navigating the College
      Admission Process; College Admission Representatives Panel; Community
      College: The Smart Choice for High School and College; The New SAT;
      Successful College Writing; Surviving and Thriving in Your Freshman Year;
      Choosing a College; College Professor 101: What College Professors Want!;
      How to Obtain Government Financial Aid; Career, Apprenticeship and Military
      Options; Getting Special Needs Services on the College Level. Cost is $25
      per family is registered by Nov. 5; $30 after Nov. 5 or at the door. To
      register or for more information, call 410-654-6760, email connect@...
      or see
      www.theexcelsioracademy.com/events.htm

      Meadows of Dan and thereabouts: Tour Nancy's Homemade Fudge Inc., Mabry
      Mill, Fairy Stone State Park and the Virginia Museum of Natural History;
      anytime you like!
      Here's a fun and educational tour of southwestern Virginia that I've planned
      just for you! If you're thinking of "peeping" at the beautiful fall foliage
      in the mountains of Floyd and Patrick Counties (and I highly recommend it --
      I have family in Woolwine and the area is absolutely breathtaking anytime of
      year), you can arrange a tour of Nancy's Homemade Fudge. Every day the
      friendly folks at Nancy's have at least 40 different flavors of fudge and 60
      varieties of chocolates on display, ready for you to sample. I have
      personally stopped at Nancy's candy outlet, and have the hips to prove it!
      You can call ahead (800-328-3834) to request a "chocolate talk" and candy
      making video presentation. And while you're in the area, you can stop and
      see historic Mabry Mill, check out the cross-shaped stones at Fairy Stone
      State Park and visit the Virginia Museum of Natural History in Martinsville.
      So there you have it: economics, science, history and fun, all rolled into
      one trip!
      http://www.nancyshomemadefudge.com/
      http://www.floydcountyinview.com/mabrymillinfo.html
      http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/fairyst.htm
      http://www.vmnh.net/

      For other event listings, view VaHomeschoolers' Events Calendar at
      http://plus.calendars.net/VaHomeschoolers . Send your event listing requests
      to Calendar@... Because our publications are read in many
      places around the state, be sure to include necessary information such as
      the location, including city/town, as well as area code if a phone number is
      given.

      WHAT'S IN THE VaHomeschoolers' NEWSLETTER?

      The VaHomeschoolers' Newsletter is only available to VaHomeschoolers'
      members, and you can join or renew your VaHomeschoolers membership or make
      donations in a flash, online! Or, print and mail the form available at our
      Web site. For either method, go to: http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/join.html

      "The VaHomeschoolers Newsletter is a burst of energy from the mail. There
      are always articles that are informative and thought provoking, supportive
      and inspiring. I keep them on file to read again and again." -Alicia Knight

      DON'T MISS A SINGLE NEWSLETTER! JOIN OR RENEW TODAY.

      3. CONTESTS & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES

      Lee-Jackson Educational Foundation 2005-2006 Essay Scholarship Competition
      An official from the Lee-Jackson Education Foundation submitted this
      information to me, noting, "We often have applications from homeschooled
      students and have found that they generally do very well in our competition.
      We'd like to see more!" The top prize is $10,000, so it's well worth
      entering! This contest is for high school juniors and seniors, and the essay
      deadline is January 27, 2006. For complete contest rules and guidelines, see
      http://www.lee-jackson.org/images/2005-2006Packet.doc

      4. FREE RESOURCES

      Cartoonster.com
      Cartoonster's free online tutorial teaches you, step by step, how to draw
      and animate -- the easy and fun way. We even reveal some shortcuts and
      animators' secrets along the way.
      http://www.cartoonster.com/

      Webmonkey for Kids
      Webmonkey offers free tutorials to help kids learn to create websites. The
      site includes a planning guide for parents and teachers who want to help
      kids use the site as a learning tool.
      http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/kids/

      Learn2Type.com
      Learn2Type is a free website that offers a typing test and typing lessons.
      http://www.learn2type.com/

      Yodelcourse.com
      All right, this one is admittedly a little silly. But it's still free! Learn
      Alpine-style yodeling and send an email to get your official Certificate of
      Yodelology.
      http://www.yodelcourse.com/

      5. WEB SITES, BOARDS, GROUPS & E-LISTS

      HomeschoolRichmond.com
      HomeschoolRichmond.com includes up-to-date information about homeschooling
      classes and events, links to Richmond homeschooling support groups, as well
      as a calendar of fun things to do in Richmond. It is an inclusive website to
      support all homeschooling groups and families in the Richmond area.
      http://www.HomeschoolRichmond.com

      Reading Planet
      Reading is Fundamental's Reading Planet offers games, book lists, book
      reviews (and you can submit reviews as well), e-postcards to send and more.
      http://www.rif.org/readingplanet/

      Philosophy for Kids
      This is a website for materials to use in doing philosophy with children.
      The introduction on the site explains that the method used (which was
      originally developed for ages 8-11) involves using stories that raise
      philosophical questions, then asking kids to discuss the questions and
      various possible answers and come up with continuations for the stories
      (read the site for a better explanation -- it sounds really neat, like a
      seminar approach).
      http://www.philosophyforkids.com/

      The Great Mirror
      The Great Mirror is a collection of photos, geographically grouped and
      narratively sequenced and captioned to explain a wide range of cultural
      landscapes. All photos and captions are by Bret Wallach, a geography
      professor at the University of Oklahoma. This approach is termed "cultural
      geography," and it seems (to me, anyway) much like photojournalism.
      http://www.greatmirror.com/

      Multiflyer
      Multiflyer is an online game for anyone who is trying to learn
      multiplication. As the pilot of a space ship far in the future, you must
      save the solar system from gravitational anomalies while learning and
      memorizing the multiplication tables.
      http://www.gdbdp.com/multiflyer/

      WHEN YOU THINK "AMAZON.COM," THINK "VaHomeschoolers!"

      Shop for books, music, movies, housewares, apparel--anything--at Amazon
      through the VaHomeschoolers Bookstore and let your purchases help support
      VaHomeschoolers at no cost to you!

      To order almost anything on your shopping list, just go to
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/bookstore.html Pass this link to your friends
      and family, so their purchases can also support your member- directed,
      volunteer driven and fully inclusive state homeschool association.
      Homeschooling is our only agenda.

      DON'T MISS A SINGLE NEWSLETTER! JOIN OR RENEW TODAY.

      "The VaHomeschoolers Newsletter is a burst of energy from the mail. There
      are always articles that are informative and thought provoking, supportive
      and inspiring. I keep them on file to read again and again." -Alicia Knight

      You can join or renew your VaHomeschoolers membership or make donations
      online! Or, print and mail the form available at our Web site. For either
      method, go to:
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/joinVaHomeschoolers.html

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

      HAVE YOU CHECKED THE VaHomeschoolers ONLINE EVENTS CALENDAR?

      If you're looking for something neat to do, or if you know of an event you'd
      like to share with fellow homeschoolers in Virginia, please go to
      VaHomeschoolers' Events Calendar at
      http://plus.calendars.net/VaHomeschoolers . Send your event listing requests
      to Calendar@... Because our publications are read in many
      places around the state, be sure to include necessary information such as
      the location, including city/town, as well as area code if a phone number is
      given.

      Copyright 2005 VA Homeschoolers. Permission to forward this e-mail, in its
      entirety for non-profit purposes, is hereby granted. Any other use requires
      specific written permission. For questions, submissions or comments write:
      Updates@...

      Subscribe to VaHomeschoolers Updates by sending a blank e-mail
      to: VaHomeschoolersAnnounce-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com