VaHomeschoolers Update July 12, 2005

  • beetleforlife
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 4:58 AM
      VaHomeschoolers Update July 12, 2005

      From The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers: your fully
      inclusive, all volunteer, member-directed state homeschool
      organization. Since 1993, VaHomeschoolers has worked to protect and
      promote homeschooling through action in legislative work, assisting
      homeschoolers on an individual level, and providing information,
      speakers, events and resources. Join VaHomeschoolers in a snap at
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/join.html Visit VaHomeschoolers's web
      site at http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org Subscribe to
      VaHomeschoolers's Updates by sending a blank e-mail to
      VaHomeschoolersAnnounce-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      In this update:

      1. VaHomeschoolers DAY AT SMV: ARE YOUR HOMESCHOOLERS TEENS?
      Are they college-bound? Here are the best reasons *you* (and your
      teen!) should attend VaHomeschoolers Day at the SMV!

      2. FEATURING JEANNE POTTS FAULCONER: READ HER, THEN COME HEAR HER!
      Find out about Jeanne's great articles on the VaHomeschoolers
      website, and don't miss the chance to come and hear her speak at
      the VAHomeschoolers Day at SMV!

      3. SPECIAL VaHomeschoolers DAY HOTEL RATE ENDS TODAY JULY 12, 2005
      Find out how to get the discount.

      4. NEW VaHomeschoolers ANNOUNCE LIST
      Find out how to be in the loop. You can't live without it!

      5. INTRODUCING YOUR NEW UPDATES EDITOR
      I'm Amy Wilson, your trusty new Updates Editor. Learn about me and
      why I signed up for this job!

      6. REMINDER: RETURN YOUR VaHomeschoolers MEMBER SURVEY
      Your opinions are important, so please take a few minutes now to
      fill out and mail this year's survey, and let your voice be heard.

      7. NEW BOOK ON HOMESCHOOLING
      "Homeschooling in Full View: A Reader," Edited by Bruce S. Cooper of
      Fordham University.

      8. "BRINGING WALDORF HOME" CONFERENCE: GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY,
      FAIRFAX, AUGUST 26-28.

      9. EVENTS
      Norfolk: "When Disaster Strikes" Family Workshop at Nauticus
      National Maritime Center; July 16; 10:30 a.m.-noon.
      Charlottesville: Summer Star Party with the Charlottesville
      Astronomical Society; July 16; 8:30 p.m.
      Richmond: Collaborative Children's Mural at Art Works; Wednesdays,
      July 13-August 3, 9-11 a.m. Free, registration required.
      Surry: Pork, Peanut and Pine Festival Arts & Crafts Show; July 16-
      17, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
      Roanoke: Third Annual FiddleFest; July 28-30, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
      Vienna: Wolftrap's Theater-in-the-Woods, through August 13.

      10. CONTESTS & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
      Team America Rocketry Challenge 2006 for grades 7-12

      11. FREE RESOURCES
      FREE POSTER: National Endowment for the Humanities Reading List

      12. WEB SITES, GROUPS & E-MAIL LISTS
      Mandala Coloring Pages
      Scale Model Solar System Ideas

      "When I joined VaHomeschoolers I had no idea was also subscribing to
      such a high-quality publication! I tend to devour it the moment it
      arrives --it's extraordinarily well-written and densely packed with
      useful information and support." -Jenny Meyer

      1. ARE YOUR HOMESCHOOLERS TEENS?
      Are they college-bound? Here are the best reasons *you* (and your
      teen!) should attend VaHomeschoolers day at the SMV!

      *Start your day with the "Matching Your Child to the Right College"
      Session.
      *Hear from been-there-done-that homeschooled teens at the Teen Panel.
      *Find yourself at THE place to be -- the Teen Table. Eat some
      snacks, play some games, and just hang out!
      *After lunch, pick up new ideas at the "Science for Middle and High
      Schoolers" session.
      *Rub elbows with homeschooling parents of teens, VaHomeschoolers
      lobbyists, and the VaHomeschoolers board at "Meet & Greet" sessions
      throughout the day.
      *Get personalized answers at the end of your day at "Answering Your
      Frequently Asked Questions."
      *Teen volunteers receive free admission to Saturday's events!
      (Service hours can be certified. Letters of reference can be
      provided.) Put VaHomeschoolers on your resume!
      *Check out the IMAX showings of "Mystery of the
      Nile," "NASCAR," "Country Music," and "Aliens of the Deep." (for a
      separate fee)
      *VaHomeschoolers Day itself is awesome - enjoying the Science Museum
      of Virginia (SMV) and the Children's Museum of Richmond (CMoR) is
      icing on the cake!
      *Take advantage of SMV's special rate on family passes - available
      only on the day of the Event. And, if you register early, you'll
      receive free passes to CmoR - while supplies last.
      *Finally meet your online homeschooling pals IRL -- in real life!
      *Receive a free VaHomeschoolers tote bag - perfect for all the nifty
      resources you'll be collecting throughout the day! Plus, bring
      permanent markers and have your new IRL friends sign it!
      *Order everything you need to begin the school year at the Moore
      Expressions table.
      *Explore Richmond! http://www.richmondva.org
      *Be inspired by veteran homeschool speaker Jeanne Faulconer and
      award-winning storyteller Jim Weiss - 'nuff said!
      See ya August 13th!
      See our full event information page at:
      http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/Event05.html

      2. FEATURING JEANNE POTTS FAULCONER: READ HER, THEN COME HEAR HER!
      Jeanne Potts Faulconer is a homeschooling parent to three sons, a
      terrific writer and a warm and funny speaker. She has years of
      experience and insights to share with her fellow homeschoolers, and
      she has been so generous in doing so. While she lived in Virginia,
      she wrote a column, "Edgewise," for the VaHomeschoolers
      newsletter (you can read her work on the website here:
      http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/newsletter.html#Edgewise ), full of
      funny, informative articles that showcase Jeanne's warm personal
      style. Now Jeanne is coming back to Virginia, all the way from
      Mississippi, just to speak for us at VaHomeschoolers Day at SMV on
      August 13. She will tell us about "Balance, Boundaries and
      Bravery," as well as her experience "Swimming Out of the
      Mainstream" and (I am so curious about this one) will lead us in
      a discussion about how to "Let Your House Do the
      Homeschooling." I can't wait!

      3. SPECIAL VaHomeschoolers DAY HOTEL RATE ENDS TODAY JULY 12, 2005

      A special VaHomeschoolers hotel rate is available for August 12 and
      13. But you must make your reservation soon . . . the special rate
      ends today! Hotel details can be found in the registration booklet
      at http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/RB05.pdf

      original VaHomeschoolers' announce list was among those lost in a
      Yahoo glitch last week.) To join, send a blank e-mail to
      VaHomeschoolersAnnounce-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . You can't live
      without it!

      5. INTRODUCING YOUR NEW UPDATES EDITOR

      Hi! I'm Amy Wilson and I live in Woodbridge, where I homeschool my 6-
      year-old son Henry and my 4-year-old daughter Betsy. I just stepped
      up to take this job when I received a "calling" from my friends at
      VaHomeschoolers. I don't know whether they picked me because they
      are impressed with my go-get-em attitude (fueled with 98% coffee and
      2% Lucky Charms) or because they figured I'm just gullible enough to
      be flattered. Regardless, here I am! Seriously, I agreed to take
      this job because of how impressed I am with VaHomeschoolers. When I
      first began looking into the idea of homeschooling three years ago,
      VaHomeschoolers (then VHEA) was there to answer all of my questions
      and then some. It has always impressed me with its wealth of
      information, amazing website, professional newsletter, energetic
      volunteers and supportive, inclusive tone that focuses just on
      homeschooling. It was my beacon in a sea of homeschooling
      information coming from so many sources with so many perspectives
      and agendas. I am so grateful, in fact, that I am pleased and proud
      to be able to contribute to this great organization in this way.
      Please feel free to email me at updates@... with
      feedback about the Updates, as well as any neat events or other
      items you think might be of interest to your fellow homeschoolers.
      Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

      6. REMINDER: RETURN YOUR VaHomeschoolers MEMBER SURVEY!

      Every year, VaHomeschoolers surveys our members for opinions on a
      range of homeschooling issues. This is a vital tool that the Board
      of Directors and the Government Affairs committee use to determine
      VaHomeschoolers' positions on homeschooling issues. In the words of
      past president Will Shaw, "It is our commitment to always try to do
      that which is within the expressed, implied, or reasonably inferable
      will of the members and balance this with public relations and
      political reality." The "will of the members" is determined through
      the member survey. It's important that as many members as possible
      respond to this year's survey, which you will find as an insert in
      the July-August issue of the newsletter. Summary results of the
      survey will be published in a future issue of the newsletter. Your
      opinions are important, so please take a few minutes now to fill out
      and mail this year's survey, and let your voice be heard!

      7. NEW BOOK ON HOMESCHOOLING
      "Homeschooling in Full View: A Reader," Edited by Bruce S. Cooper of
      Fordham University.

      This book, which grew out of the efforts of Associates for Research
      on Private Education, an international organization of scholars and
      practitioners, seeks to portray the richness and diversity of
      homeschooling, from an educational, religious, political and social
      perspective. Included essays range from academic research work to
      philosophical viewpoints and personal perspectives from
      homeschooling parents. If you are interested in ordering it, you can
      benefit VaHomeschoolers at the same time by following this link (you
      will need to copy and paste all of the text to your browser):
      /1593113390/qid=1120966010/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0785632-9865613?
      v=glance&s=books

      WHY BUY FROM THE VaHomeschoolers BOOKSTORE?

      * Discount: You can often save 30% off the cover price!
      * FREE Shipping: Most items qualify for Amazon's free shipping
      * Homeschoolers' Book Reviews
      * Supports VaHomeschoolers, which receives a small percentage of the
      purchase price.
      * More Than Books: toys, movies, music, software, housewares,
      clothing and more!

      Visit the VaHomeschoolers Bookstore at
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/bookstore.html. If you can buy it at
      Amazon.com, you can support VaHomeschoolers with your purchase
      through the VaHomeschoolers Bookstore--at no additional cost to you!

      8. "BRINGING WALDORF HOME" CONFERENCE: GEORGE MASON UNIVERSOITY,
      FAIRFAX, AUGUST 26-28.

      Second Annual Conference for homeschoolers, interested parents and
      educators. Featuring Gene Campbell of the Chiron Initiative
      (Ontario, Canada), Jody Grossman and Aniko Debrecny. Friday night
      keynote and two days of presentations on Waldorf education. Topics
      include background and application with intensives for grades 1-4,
      music and handwork. Vendors, silent auction, book sales. Register by
      August 1 for a discounted rate of $100; full rate is $135. Partial
      schedule registration also available. Email contact is Nicole
      Correri at waldorfstudygroup-owner@yahoogroups.com . Conference
      details and registration form available online at:
      http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/brochure.pdf

      9. EVENTS

      Norfolk: "When Disaster Strikes" Family Workshop at Nauticus
      National Maritime Center; July 16; 10:30 a.m.-noon.
      Explore the extreme forces of nature in this 90-minute family
      workshop! Learn about the power of lightning, use different weather
      instruments, make your own tornado, participate in seismic
      earthquake experiments, and even erupt a volcano! Limited to 25
      families (children must be at least 4 years old). $5 members; $8 non-
      members. To register, call (757) 664-1010 one week before workshop.

      Charlottesville: Summer Star Party with the Charlottesville
      Astronomical Society; July 16; 8:30 p.m.
      Join members of the Charlottesville Astronomical Society for an
      evening of celestial wonders as seen through telescopes set up by
      the Barn. The Moon and Jupiter will be highlighted. Free. For more
      information, see:
      http://cvilleastro.org/

      Richmond: Collaborative Children's Mural at Art Works; Wednesdays,
      July 13-August 3, 9-11 a.m. Free, registration required.
      Children ages 6-16 are invited to join artists at Art Works for a
      truly "hands on" mural project to be unveiled to the public in
      September. Call 804-291-1400 to register. Art Works' website is here:
      http://www.artworksrichmond.com/

      Surry: Pork, Peanut and Pine Festival Arts & Crafts Show; July 16-
      17, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
      Held at Chippokes Plantation State Park, the 30th annual Pork,
      Peanut and Pine Festival will feature over 225 crafters and
      artisans, as well as live music, food booths featuring local peanut
      and pork specialties, working demonstrations and exhibits on pork
      products and peanut-growing in Surry County, a working sawmill
      display, Virginia's Forestry Department displays, chain-saw carving,
      mule rides, children's activities, and old gas and steam engine
      exhibits. The festival will also host the Virginia Marine Science
      Museum's "Ocean in Motion", the museum's traveling aquarium, which
      brings live animals and interactive learning to students and adults
      of all ages. This exciting program includes tours of the Ocean in
      Motion truck and a visit to the touch tanks. $5 per person, children
      under 12 are free. For more information, see:
      http://www.toursurryva.com/pppschedule.html

      Roanoke: Third Annual FiddleFest; July 28-30, 11 a.m-11 p.m.
      "Roanoke's Celebration of Traditional String Music." FiddleFest,
      held on the campus of Hollins University, features daily concerts,
      workshops and jam sessions with visiting artists, live bluegrass
      karaoke contests, great food & vendors. Cost is $65 in advance for a
      full 3-day pass, $12 in advance for evening concerts; children under
      12 are free. (Volunteers get in free on the day they volunteer.) For
      more information, consult:
      http://www.roanokefiddlefest.org

      Vienna: Wolftrap's Theater-in-the-Woods, through August 13.
      Wolftrap's Theatre-in-the-Woods presents family-friendly shows at 10
      am and 11:15 am on Tuesdays through Saturdays. Amidst 117 rolling
      wooded acres and nestled in a shady grove, the stage is set for
      lively adventures in music, dance, storytelling, puppetry, and
      theater. All performances are recommended for children between
      kindergarten and 6th grade. This week's activities include Billy B.
      and his "Rainforest Chorus" and Halau O'Aulani performing Hawaiian
      songs and dances. For tickets and information, see:
      http://www.wolftrap.org/performances/woods.html

      For other event listings, view VaHomeschoolers' Events Calendar at
      http://plus.calendars.net/VaHomeschoolers . Send your event listing
      requests to Calendar@... Because our publications
      are read in many places around the state, be sure to include
      necessary information such as the location, including city/town, as
      well as area code if a phone number is given.

      WHAT'S IN THE VaHomeschoolers' NEWSLETTER?

      The VaHomeschoolers' Newsletter is only available to
      VaHomeschoolers' members, and you can join or renew your
      VaHomeschoolers membership or make donations in a flash, online! Or,
      print and mail the form available at our Web site. For either
      method, go to:
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/join.html

      "The VaHomeschoolers Newsletter is a burst of energy from the mail.
      There are always articles that are informative and thought
      provoking, supportive and inspiring. I keep them on file to read
      again and again." -Alicia Knight

      DON'T MISS A SINGLE NEWSLETTER! JOIN OR RENEW TODAY.

      Association of Rocketry and the Aerospace Industries Association. To
      win, each team must design, build, and fly a model rocket carrying a
      raw egg and return it safely to the ground, while staying aloft for
      a predetermined amount of time. Whoever is the closest wins!
      Homeschoolers are welcome, and the 2006 contest application forms
      will be available beginning Sept. 5, 2005 The application deadline
      is Nov. 1, 2005. The 2005 contest was held at Great Meadows event
      center in The Plains, Virginia. For more information, see the
      contest website at:
      http://www.rocketcontest.org/

      If you are in the Northern Virginia area, consider checking out the
      Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry, which holds launches on
      the same fields in The Plains (I attended a launch today with my
      kids and we all had a great time. It's fun to do and fun to watch!)
      NOVAAR's website is at:
      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8561/

      11. FREE RESOURCES

      FREE POSTER: National Endowment for the Humanities Reading List.
      Fill out the online request form to receive NEH's free poster
      featuring the Summertime Favorites and We the People Bookshelf on
      Freedom reading lists.
      http://www.neh.gov/posterrequest.asp

      12. WEB SITES, BOARDS, GROUPS & E-LISTS

      Mandala Coloring Pages.
      These coloring pages appeal to coloring enthusiasts of all ages, and
      offer so many different ways to be creative. Not your ordinary
      coloring activity!
      http://www.coloringcastle.com/mandala_coloring_pages.html
      http://www.coloringpagefun.com/geometric.html
      http://www.creativekidsathome.com/activities/activity_10.html
      http://mandalarbre.com/35_mandalas.htm

      Scale Model Solar System Ideas.
      This "meta-page" offers links to dozens of other website with ideas
      to help your kids (and you!) get a grasp on the vast scale of our
      little corner of the galaxy:
      http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/solarsystem/
      My favorite pages were:
      http://www.noao.edu/education/work/Peppercorn/Peppercorn_Main.html
      (The Thousand-Yard Model, or The Earth as a Peppercorn)
      http://solar.physics.montana.edu/tslater/plunger/tissue.htm (The
      Toilet-Paper Solar System)

      WHEN YOU THINK "AMAZON.COM," THINK "VaHomeschoolers!"

      Shop for books, music, movies, housewares, apparel--anything--at
      Amazon through the VaHomeschoolers Bookstore and let your purchases
      help support VaHomeschoolers at no cost to you!

      To order almost anything on your shopping list, just go to
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/bookstore.html Pass this link to your
      friends and family, so their purchases can also support your member-
      directed, volunteer driven and fully inclusive state homeschool
      association. Homeschooling is our only agenda.

      DON'T MISS A SINGLE NEWSLETTER! JOIN OR RENEW TODAY.

      "The VaHomeschoolers Newsletter is a burst of energy from the mail.
      There are always articles that are informative and thought
      provoking, supportive and inspiring. I keep them on file to read
      again and again." -Alicia Knight

      You can join or renew your VaHomeschoolers membership or make
      donations online! Or, print and mail the form available at our Web
      site. For either method, go to:
      http://www.VaHomeschoolers.org/joinVaHomeschoolers.html

      Copyright 2005 VA Homeschoolers. Permission to forward this e-mail,
      in its entirety for non-profit purposes, is hereby granted. Any
      other use requires specific written permission. For questions,
      submissions or comments write: Updates@...

      Subscribe to VaHomeschoolers Updates by sending a blank e-mail
      to: VaHomeschoolersAnnounce-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com