Quick way to get your movie DONE and FINISHED!

  • tedrruiz
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2008
      I met with a group of film makers recently and found many reasons why
      these talented story tellers don't ever get their movie done or seen.
      But there were some talented people and GREAT ideas.
      I might have found a way to help many of these dreams get
      delivered.
      What if we could show up on your set/location and live switch
      between cameras like a soap opera is produced? This would allow many
      of these people to get through location shoots in a fraction of the
      time. Once you return to the edit bay you will have almost 100% of
      the film edited. Add titles and press to DVD. Or take the iso footage
      and fine tune to your heart's content.
      Awesome! You could watch the entire finished scene immediately with
      the actors and crew.

      I know this will not work for every film or film maker. And I
      know some will say it's not "Pure". But I see it as a blending of
      technologies that has great value to many who are striving to get
      their message, story and art to many people in a simplified way. I
      was amazed at the number of stories that are sitting on shelves.
      That's really a "sad story".

      Let me know your thoughts on the benefits, feel free to list the
      drawbacks and discuss away. Worst case scenario, this would be a
      great way to get a pilot of your story produced so you can solicit
      funding.
      I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear your
      feedback.
    • Kilo
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2008
        Scene 67, take 37. But roll to tape with TC in sync, makes easy to change
        at some point. Go for it Ted. I will have a TC at some point.

        Have a nice weekend.

        I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear your
        > feedback.

      • tviman1
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2008
          If you want it to look like a sopa opera then great... essentially
          that is what they do... when was the last time you were dazzled by a
          sopa opera?

          Every single shot of a film is in and of itself of piece of art. If
          you have ever shot a film or been on set you would quickly realize
          the reason your senses come alive in the theater is becasue of the
          pains taking appoach to each and every shot, angle, line of
          dialouge, lighting, lenses, etc, etc, etc...

          Sure some films, are much simpler the others to produce, but they
          still all share an intrinsic artistic approach that could never be
          duplicated with a soap box opera approach.

          Chris Skala
          LifeStyle Video

          --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrruiz" <ted@...> wrote:

          > I met with a group of film makers recently and found many reasons
          why
          > these talented story tellers don't ever get their movie done or
          seen.
          > But there were some talented people and GREAT ideas.
          > I might have found a way to help many of these dreams get
          > delivered.
          > What if we could show up on your set/location and live
          switch
          > between cameras like a soap opera is produced? This would allow
          many
          > of these people to get through location shoots in a fraction of
          the
          > time. Once you return to the edit bay you will have almost 100% of
          > the film edited. Add titles and press to DVD. Or take the iso
          footage
          > and fine tune to your heart's content.
          > Awesome! You could watch the entire finished scene immediately
          with
          > the actors and crew.
          >
          > I know this will not work for every film or film maker. And
          > know some will say it's not "Pure". But I see it as a blending of
          > technologies that has great value to many who are striving to get
          > their message, story and art to many people in a simplified way. I
          > was amazed at the number of stories that are sitting on shelves.
          > That's really a "sad story".
          >
          > Let me know your thoughts on the benefits, feel free to list the
          > drawbacks and discuss away. Worst case scenario, this would be a
          > great way to get a pilot of your story produced so you can solicit
          > funding.
          > I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear
          your
          > feedback.

        • GRProdns
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2008
            Hi Ted,
            On paper, it looks good, but in practice I don't think it would work well for a high end production for the following reasons:

            1. Quality location lighting will get in the way of one of the cameras, particularly if you are talking about more than 2 cameras.
            2. Good storytelling will usually require frame accurate editing, which you can't do live. And very often, different lines will be taken from different takes
            which you could fix in the edit, but will be restricted from doing in a live switch. If it's comedy, it may be fine.
            3. Camera shots will be limited and you will be more bogged down in the technical aspects of camera placement than good storytelling.
            4. To me, pretty much any dramatic story should be shot at 24p, and I don't know how well that would react to the live switching or if it might create problems in post.
            5. If you need to move to a new location, you have a gaffer and cameraman nightmare trying to move all of that extra equipment.
            6. If you are shooting a ton of footage with no breaks, the actors won't be able to remember all of the lines, and you'll go into more extra days, with the added expense of
            extra cameramen and a switcher op.
            7. To me, the planning is actually more extensive for a live multicam shoot so you really need to scout the location first and do lots or prep and preproduction before the shoot.
            I think it will be more complex than anticipated if you're on location.

            But, all that said, if the client is willing to pay for that kind of production, and thinks it will work for their project it could be good. Many dramatic tv shows, such as 24, shoot with more than one camera and I'm sure it helps. With extra cameramen, this kind of production may be more than a single camera shoot and only save time on a certain dialog scenes. I just shot 8 new workout dvd's that I switched live, and I think I got about 60% of the cut in the switch. I'm finessing them with Bob's Multicam.

            Thanks,
            Gary R.
            Sharpcut Productions
            www.sharpcut.com
            www.entertainmentworldnetwork.com

            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2008
              I've had many people come to me wanting to do short film projects
              that this would have worked for. I just now realized it could be
              done.
              As I said, this might not be the best method for even most of the
              films being done by local people. But even if 10% can be done this
              way it's a decent money maker. Not to mention how many productions
              that can get done rather than leaving the script on the shelf.
              I'll let you know in a year how many I actually do. :)

              --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, GRProdns <GRProdns@...> wrote:

> [...]
              footage
              > and fine tune to your heart's content.
              > Awesome! You could watch the entire finished scene immediately
              with
              > the actors and crew.
              >
              > I know this will not work for every film or film maker. And I
              > know some will say it's not "Pure". But I see it as a blending of
              > technologies that has great value to many who are striving to get
              > their message, story and art to many people in a simplified way. I
              > was amazed at the number of stories that are sitting on shelves.
              > That's really a "sad story".
              >
              > Let me know your thoughts on the benefits, feel free to list the
              > drawbacks and discuss away. Worst case scenario, this would be a
              > great way to get a pilot of your story produced so you can solicit
              > funding.
              > I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear

            • Jim C
              Message 6 of 10 , May 24, 2008
                Well...

                What do these filmmakers say when you pitch the idea to them????

                :)

                it's all crap anyway ya know....
                ever see American Idol (I haven't)
                ;)

                --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrruiz" <ted@...> wrote:

                > I met with a group of film makers recently and found many reasons why
                > these talented story tellers don't ever get their movie done or seen.
                > But there were some talented people and GREAT ideas.
                > I might have found a way to help many of these dreams get
                > delivered.
                > What if we could show up on your set/location and live switch
                > between cameras like a soap opera is produced? This would allow many
                > of these people to get through location shoots in a fraction of the
                > time. Once you return to the edit bay you will have almost 100% of
                > the film edited. Add titles and press to DVD. Or take the iso footage
                > and fine tune to your heart's content.
                > Awesome! You could watch the entire finished scene immediately with
                > the actors and crew.
                >
                > I know this will not work for every film or film maker. And I
                > know some will say it's not "Pure". But I see it as a blending of
                > technologies that has great value to many who are striving to get
                > their message, story and art to many people in a simplified way. I
                > was amazed at the number of stories that are sitting on shelves.
                > That's really a "sad story".
                >
                > Let me know your thoughts on the benefits, feel free to list the
                > drawbacks and discuss away. Worst case scenario, this would be a
                > great way to get a pilot of your story produced so you can solicit
                > funding.
                > I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear your
                > feedback.

              • tedrruiz
                Message 7 of 10 , May 24, 2008
                  The responses range from I'm a genius to I'm ruining the industry. :)
                  All I'm concerned with are those who see a benefit and pay me. :)

                  --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, "Jim C" <jims_dual_xeon@...> wrote:

                  > Well...
                  >
                  > What do these filmmakers say when you pitch the idea to them????
                  >
                  > :)
                  >
                  > it's all crap anyway ya know....
                  > ever see American Idol (I haven't)
                  > ;)
                  >

                  > --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrruiz" <ted@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I met with a group of film makers recently and found many
                  reasons why
                  > > these talented story tellers don't ever get their movie done or
                  seen.
                  > > But there were some talented people and GREAT ideas.
                  > > I might have found a way to help many of these dreams get
                  > > delivered.
                  > > What if we could show up on your set/location and live
                  switch
                  > > between cameras like a soap opera is produced? This would allow
                  many
                  > > of these people to get through location shoots in a fraction of
                  the
                  > > time. Once you return to the edit bay you will have almost 100%
                  of
                  > > the film edited. Add titles and press to DVD. Or take the iso
                  footage
                  > > and fine tune to your heart's content.
                  > > Awesome! You could watch the entire finished scene immediately
                  with
                  > > the actors and crew.
                  > >
                  > > I know this will not work for every film or film maker. And
                  > > know some will say it's not "Pure". But I see it as a blending
                  of
                  > > technologies that has great value to many who are striving to
                  get
                  > > their message, story and art to many people in a simplified way.
                  > > was amazed at the number of stories that are sitting on shelves.
                  > > That's really a "sad story".
                  > >
                  > > Let me know your thoughts on the benefits, feel free to list
                  the
                  > > drawbacks and discuss away. Worst case scenario, this would be a
                  > > great way to get a pilot of your story produced so you can
                  solicit
                  > > funding.
                  > > I think it's a great idea! What about you guys? I'd love to hear
                  your
                  > > feedback.

                • Jim C
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 24, 2008
                    --- In VTNT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrruiz" <ted@...> wrote:

                    > The responses range from I'm a genius to I'm ruining the industry. :)

                    Probably the exact responses Freund received when he pitched his idea
                    at the first meeting with the Networks.....
                    and we now see where his technique stands...

                    http://www.lucyfan.com/freundfilming.html

                  • tviman1
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 24, 2008
                      Of course... suire I see your point. But I would not put a lot of
                      time chasing this.. because anyone that really knows how to make a
                      film would never approach it this way. On the other hand, if there
                      are some extremely low budget people trying to pull off something
                      very quick, and they don't know or care about how it "should" be
                      done, then maybe you'll have someone that will cash up and try your
                      approach. Just keep in mind... shooting a movie is a whole
                      different ball of wax compared to live or live to tape TV.

                      You may be better off offering a package that isolates (iso) the
                      recording of each camera with syncronized time code, then useing
                      MultiCam in editing allow the director/producer to choose shots in
                      post. It is fairly common on more cmoplex scenes for film producer
                      to use more than one camera (always time doce synced) and then
                      choose shots in post. But they still only do short segments at a
                      time. Rarely will they shoot an entire long scene that way.

                    • Eugene W. Kosarovich
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 26, 2008
                        And hey, that may be a self-contained product in the very near future...

                        EWK

                        > You may be better off offering a package that isolates (iso) the
                        > recording of each camera with syncronized time code, then useing
                        > MultiCam in editing allow the director/producer to choose shots in
                        > post. It is fairly common on more cmoplex scenes for film producer
                        > to use more than one camera (always time doce synced) and then
                        > choose shots in post. But they still only do short segments at a
                        > time. Rarely will they shoot an entire long scene that way.
                        >
                        > Chris Skala
                        > LifeStyle Video
                        ---
                        Eugene W. Kosarovich