EarthRadio Sensitivity

  • Edgar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi guy's,
      The whistlers are still eluding me. My new EarthRadio gives
      a good, easily heard response to a 1700hz tone fed as follows:
      The 4" (10cm) 1 turn radiating loop is driven with 1700hz at
      1.3ma RMS from an audio generator set to 0dbm, through a 600
      ohm series resistor. The tone is easily heard through hum and
      noise when the radiating loop is 15" (38cm) from the receiving
      coil. The receiving coil is 300 turns of 26 AWG magnet wire,
      wound in an "O" shape, air-core, and an inner diameter of 2.5"
      (6.4cm). Loud tweeks come in at 6 to more than 10db over the
      noise-band. Does anyone care to comment, please. Thank you.
      Edgar
    • Gallagher, Dennis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        Edgar,

        If you can receive spherics and tweeks, then you can receive whistlers.
        Having whistlers to receive may be your problem. They are more common at
        higher latitudes and of course when there are thunderstorms in your area
        or magnetically conjugate to you. Listening around 1-2 hours near dawn
        and dusk increases your changes of picking up whistlers. After that it's
        like fishing. If you pick a good spot, you can enjoy nature while you
        wait.

        Dennis

        Hi guy's,
        The whistlers are still eluding me. My new EarthRadio gives
        a good, easily heard response to a 1700hz tone fed as follows:
        The 4" (10cm) 1 turn radiating loop is driven with 1700hz at
        1.3ma RMS from an audio generator set to 0dbm, through a 600
        ohm series resistor. The tone is easily heard through hum and
        noise when the radiating loop is 15" (38cm) from the receiving
        coil. The receiving coil is 300 turns of 26 AWG magnet wire,
        wound in an "O" shape, air-core, and an inner diameter of 2.5"
        (6.4cm). Loud tweeks come in at 6 to more than 10db over the
        noise-band. Does anyone care to comment, please. Thank you.
        Edgar

        ._,___

      • WarmSpgs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
          An air-core loop of 2.5" diameter? Unless you're in just a remarkable
          location for whistlers, and have it aligned at just the right angle, good luck.

          The 1700 Hz sensitivity test over a whopping 15" distance is not much of a
          challenge, and the presence of tweaks is rather meaningless unless you can be
          sure they're not just the result of switching transients on power lines.