Re: [VLF_Group] Re: ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 6

  • John Popelish
    Message 1 of 230 , Dec 1, 2006
      Ernst D. Schmitter wrote:
      > This geomagnetic disturbance clearly showed up in yesterdays
      > fluxgate signal between 12 and 15UT but not at all in the VLF SID
      > traces. There seems to be no direct connection between magnetic
      > field variations and ionospheric disturbances, at least not
      > regularly. In contrast, some of X-ray flare activity last days (see
      > GOES measurements) seems to reflect in the SID traces
      > (www.electricterra.com/Ernst).

      Perhaps the frequency content in these solar wind
      disturbances is well below the roll off knee frequency of
      your VLF system. What frequency range does your VLF system
      cover?

      My experimental FGM-3 magnetometer system was down for
      repairs (broken wire) yesterday, so I missed the whole
      thing. ;-(

      But I am back up and running, now, with a few changes that
      should improve the stability a bit, I hope.
    • Paul
      Message 230 of 230 , Feb 3 3:23 PM
        Now WWLLN showing a good storm in the right place for
        whistlers on vlf6 at Bielefeld,

        http://wwlln.net/TOGA_network_global_maps.htm

        and sure enough, plenty of whistlers coming through.

        --
        Paul Nicholson