Novel way for listening to VLF - or Whistlers on the brain!

  • Stumm, John C
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 4, 2006
      I have come up with an interesting way to listen in on VLF phenomena.
      It incorporates conventional a receiver for reception. In my test set up
      I'm using a WR-3.The novel aspect comes from what I couple it into. It
      is called a Neurophone. Invented some years ago by Pat Flanagan, it
      somehow couples auditory information directly into the noggin. It's
      nothing like the ol "Bone Phone" as some of you might recall that
      utilized bone conduction. His current model, or the one I'm using,
      called a "Thinkman" uses ultrasonic transducers that take the place of
      earphones. Place them anywhere on your head or neck and it sounds like
      the sound is right square in the middle of your head, like headphones in
      monaural. What really is intriguing is that it seems to do a good job of
      coupling spherics with the added benefit of attenuating annoying hum.
      Where I was testing, conventional headset produced very prevalent, but
      not overpowering hum. Through the Thinkman, hum was virtually non
      existent! Have yet to hear any whistlers, but in listening to my Morse
      code practice tapes, the dah's and dits come through just fine.
      There is info on the web concerning these devices and some dubious
      claims.
      From what I have seen so far, this could be a legitimate use. Fidelity
      they don't have, but that isn't a problem here. More later.

      John
    • Walter
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 4, 2006
        --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Stumm, John C" <jcstumm@...> wrote:

        > I have come up with an interesting way to listen in on VLF phenomena.

        Whatever that is. If you use ultra sound for audible effects you have
        to increase the sound level so much as to get nonlinear effects.

        Don't be surprised about eye damage, inner bleedings and loss of brain
        function.

        All the best,
        Walter
      • John Stumm
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
          I don't think there's much risk with using this unit. It uses a 9 volt
          battery that lasts along time. His original units used high voltages
          and thinly insulated pads that capacitivly coupled the signal in to
          your head. I built a crude version of one in the early 70's. It
          produced side effects, (irritibility) not to mention the obvious
          hazzard. The new units are cool, and safe - I think...

          > > I have come up with an interesting way to listen in on VLF
          phenomena.

          > Whatever that is. If you use ultra sound for audible effects you have
          > to increase the sound level so much as to get nonlinear effects.
          >
          > Don't be surprised about eye damage, inner bleedings and loss of brain
          > function.
          >
          > All the best,
          > Walter

        • Ernst D. Schmitter
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
            Walter,

            interesting guy that Pat Flanagan and his inventions.
            Look for example

            http://www.flanagan-forschung.de/Home/home.html

            ..... Best regards, Ernst
          • Walter
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
              Ernst,
              > interesting guy that Pat Flanagan and his inventions.

              Im not going to discuss anybodies beliefs but will stick to VLF :-)

              Best regards,
              Walter
            • rinus nienhuis
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                Hello John
                Interesting !
                Hope to hear more from your experiences

                greetings
                rinus
                > I have come up with an interesting way to listen in on VLF phenomena.
                > It incorporates conventional a receiver for reception. In my test set up
                > I'm using a WR-3.The novel aspect comes from what I couple it into. It
                > is called a Neurophone. Invented some years ago by Pat Flanagan, it
                > somehow couples auditory information directly into the noggin. It's
                > nothing like the ol "Bone Phone" as some of you might recall that
                > utilized bone conduction. His current model, or the one I'm using,
                > called a "Thinkman" uses ultrasonic transducers that take the place of
                > earphones. Place them anywhere on your head or neck and it sounds like
                > the sound is right square in the middle of your head, like headphones in
                > monaural. What really is intriguing is that it seems to do a good job of
                > coupling spherics with the added benefit of attenuating annoying hum.
                > Where I was testing, conventional headset produced very prevalent, but
                > not overpowering hum. Through the Thinkman, hum was virtually non
                > existent! Have yet to hear any whistlers, but in listening to my Morse
                > code practice tapes, the dah's and dits come through just fine.
                > There is info on the web concerning these devices and some dubious
                > claims.
                > From what I have seen so far, this could be a legitimate use. Fidelity
                > they don't have, but that isn't a problem here. More later.
                >
                > John
                >

                > Post message: VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com
                > Subscribe: VLF_Group-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Members may request the option of receiving just one e-mail per day which
                contains all of the days comments. Simply send an e-mail to the list owner
                (VLF_Group-owner@yahoogroups.com) requesting digest mode.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • John Stumm
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Hello rinus,
                  Yes, I think it is worth pursuing. When I get home I plan on piping
                  some recorded whistlers through the device just to see how they sound.
                  Where I'm located right now, there's not much chance catching any Au
                  Natural.
                  Then I plan on coupling it to my Kiwa, with its remotely mountable
                  antenna/preamp, to see how well it works in a suburban environment.
                  It, (the Kiwa) is the only receiver that I've been able to pick up
                  whistlers in such a locale. At 35 deg latitude, that's hard to do.

                  Regards,
                  John

                • rinus nienhuis
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                    hello John
                    Thanks for the reply
                    the Kiwa , isn't that the expensive Medium Wave antenna?

                  • John Stumm
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                      Their most famous antenna is the Kiwa MW loop. No longer in production.
                      They also produced a VLF rig for a while. It is an E-fild receiver that
                      incorporated a preamp in a PVC pipe assembly that you connected your
                      own antenna to. A long lead cable allowed me to place it on a mast high
                      above my roof. The base amp contained some variable filters, gain
                      control and an output that i fed into an FM transmitter. Thus I was
                      able to tune in anywhere in the house. Between the Kiwa and the FM
                      transmitter, the hum was greatly diminished. I'm into novelties -
                      especially when it comes to convienent lissening and hum reduction.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 7, 2006
                        Good idea John
                        Hang a WR3 or similar equipment on a spot with low hum and feed that signal to battery powered FM transmitter
                        and listen on a far <a lot of hum> location
                        i will experiment with it

                        greetings
                        rinus
                        Their most famous antenna is the Kiwa MW loop. No longer in production.
                        They also produced a VLF rig for a while. It is an E-fild receiver that
                        incorporated a preamp in a PVC pipe assembly that you connected your
                        own antenna to. A long lead cable allowed me to place it on a mast high
                        above my roof. The base amp contained some variable filters, gain
                        control and an output that i fed into an FM transmitter. Thus I was
                        able to tune in anywhere in the house. Between the Kiwa and the FM
                        transmitter, the hum was greatly diminished. I'm into novelties -
                        especially when it comes to convienent lissening and hum reduction.

                        Regards,
                        John

                        > hello John
                        > Thanks for the reply
                        > the Kiwa , isn't that the expensive Medium Wave antenna?

                      • Christopher Gross
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 8, 2006
                          --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "rinus nienhuis" <dridotcom@...> wrote:

                          > Good idea John
                          > Hang a WR3 or similar equipment on a spot with low hum and feed that
                          signal to battery powered FM transmitter
                          > and listen on a far <a lot of hum> location
                          > i will experiment with it
                          >
                          > greetings
                          > rinus

                          I've tried that with a small transmitter (the type used to send music
                          from a CD/MP3 player to a car radio) and it worked well except for the
                          short range. Later this year I hope to try it with a more powerful
                          transmitter and set up a little remote station outdoors...

                          Chris
                        • rinus nienhuis
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 8, 2006
                            Hello Chris

                            Hope you to hear your experiences !
                            Take Care

                            rinus

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 9, 2006
                              ->I've tried that with a small transmitter (the type used to send music
                              >from a CD/MP3 player to a car radio) and it worked well except for
                              >the short range. Later this year I hope to try it with a more powerful
                              >transmitter and set up a little remote station outdoors...

                              Chris,
                              You might also try hard wiring the signal in, (and power out) from your
                              remote station. Then go wireless. It's hard to get much range on an FM
                              transmitter and still be legal. I use #20 shielded twisted pair cable
                              that I have all kinds of. If you might need some at some point down the
                              road, let me know.

                              John
                            • John Stumm
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 10, 2006
                                Interesting side side benefit.
                                While listening early this morning on the side of the road, the
                                window rolled down, my 4 ft whip hanging out, the transducers pressed
                                to my temples, I paused for a couple extra minutes. work could wait.
                                The added benefit I speak of is the ability to hear audible mother
                                nature through normal means. Without headphones to tie up your ears,
                                it made it a truely unique experience. It could be the said that
                                listening to spherics through a speaker could bring the same effect,
                                I found it different. "Quieting" for lack of a better term. No hum
                                either. Plus i heard a stray whistler for my added pause. I may stay
                                even longer tomorrow...

                                John

                                > I have come up with an interesting way to listen in on VLF
                                phenomena.
                                > It incorporates conventional a receiver for reception. In my test
                                set up
                                > I'm using a WR-3.The novel aspect comes from what I couple it into.
                                It
                                > is called a Neurophone. Invented some years ago by Pat Flanagan, it
                                > somehow couples auditory information directly into the noggin. It's
                                > nothing like the ol "Bone Phone" as some of you might recall that
                                > utilized bone conduction. His current model, or the one I'm using,
                                > called a "Thinkman" uses ultrasonic transducers that take the place
                                of
                                > earphones. Place them anywhere on your head or neck and it sounds
                                like
                                > the sound is right square in the middle of your head, like
                                headphones in
                                > monaural. What really is intriguing is that it seems to do a good
                                job of
                                > coupling spherics with the added benefit of attenuating annoying
                                hum.
                                > Where I was testing, conventional headset produced very prevalent,
                                but
                                > not overpowering hum. Through the Thinkman, hum was virtually non
                                > existent! Have yet to hear any whistlers, but in listening to my
                                Morse
                                > code practice tapes, the dah's and dits come through just fine.
                                > There is info on the web concerning these devices and some dubious
                                > claims.
                                > From what I have seen so far, this could be a legitimate use.
                                Fidelity
                                > they don't have, but that isn't a problem here. More later.
                                >
                                > John

                              • Christopher Gross
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 12, 2006
                                  --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "John Stumm" <jcstumm@...> wrote:

                                  > Chris,
                                  > You might also try hard wiring the signal in, (and power out) from your
                                  > remote station. Then go wireless. It's hard to get much range on an FM
                                  > transmitter and still be legal.

                                  You mean running a line from the station to the transmitter so that
                                  the transmitter can be closer to the house? I think that might work.
                                  The transmitter I was using had an advertised range of 300 feet, but
                                  with all the vegetation in the way it was more like 60 feet, which
                                  wasn't far enough. (The station will be about 150 feet from the
                                  house.) I was also thinking of using a 2.4 gHz link; I was recently
                                  experimenting with a re-tuned X10-type receiver and was able to pick
                                  up the WiFi signal from my uncle's house about 700 feet away. Given
                                  that the station will be much closer and there are fewer trees in the
                                  way, a microwave link might work better... In any case, I'll post
                                  whatever results I get. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

                                  Chris
                                • Ernst D. Schmitter
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 13, 2006
                                    John,

                                    is there a schematic (or something similar) to this "Thinkman" you are
                                    using that you can post for us ?

                                    Best regards, Ernst

                                    > > is called a Neurophone. Invented some years ago by Pat Flanagan, it
                                    > > somehow couples auditory information directly into the noggin. It's
                                    > > nothing like the ol "Bone Phone" as some of you might recall that
                                    > > utilized bone conduction. His current model, or the one I'm using,
                                    > > called a "Thinkman" uses ultrasonic transducers that take the place
                                    > of
                                    > > earphones. Place them anywhere on your head or neck and it sounds
                                    > like
                                    > > the sound is right square in the middle of your head, like
                                    > headphones in
                                  • John Stumm
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                      > John,
                                      >
                                      > is there a schematic (or something similar) to this "Thinkman" you are
                                      > using that you can post for us ?
                                      >

                                      > Best regards, Ernst

                                      Ernst,
                                      No, unfortunatly they pot the circuitry so that the board can't be
                                      analyzed and recreated. Everything I've seen on the web deals with the
                                      theory behind it. He's rather secretive.
                                      They are expensive buggers to! About $600 new. I got on on e-bay for a
                                      couple hundred.

                                      Regards,
                                      John
                                    • Paul Cianciolo
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                        Gentlemen,

                                        New to the this list and a couple of others thanks to Scott bringing
                                        it to my attention.

                                        I scan through all the replies to this question, but not see the
                                        information I will add.

                                        The "Wet Mixer" "Organic Mixer" AKA the brain does the mixing of the
                                        ultrasonic signals for you. For example say you have 2 ultrassonic
                                        signals 21 KHz and 20 KHz, anyone older than there teens would be
                                        hard pressed to hear either. But the wet mixer, does the F1-F2 mix
                                        down and a 1 KHz can be heard. I don' know the exact mechanism for
                                        the entrance of the signals to the brain, but apparently this
                                        technique is older than it would seem. Also folks into meditation
                                        has used this in a software product that produces tones( you pick
                                        them) and there is a difference of a few HZ between them. Listening
                                        to either tone, one hears the F1, say 800 HZ. But when both tones
                                        are presented to the brain through headphones, the difference can be
                                        heard dead center in the head.

                                        Look for LRAD on Google for more info.

                                        I am glad to find a natural radio group.
                                        Thank you for reading.

                                        Paul Cianciolo
                                        W1VLF

                                        --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "John Stumm" <jcstumm@...> wrote:

                                        > > John,
                                        > >
                                        > > is there a schematic (or something similar) to this "Thinkman"
                                        you are
                                        > > using that you can post for us ?
                                        > >

                                        > > Best regards, Ernst
                                        >
                                        > Ernst,
                                        > No, unfortunatly they pot the circuitry so that the board can't be
                                        > analyzed and recreated. Everything I've seen on the web deals with
                                        the
                                        > theory behind it. He's rather secretive.
                                        > They are expensive buggers to! About $600 new. I got on on e-bay
                                        for a
                                        > couple hundred.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > John

                                      • W1EOF
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                          Sounds interesting, but...

                                          Google searches of "wet mixer" come up with stuff on cement.
                                          Google searches of "organic mixer" don't work either.
                                          Google searches of "LRAD" return pages on crowd control devices using sound.

                                          Anyone got a link to some relevant pages?

                                          Mark W1EOF

                                          New to the this list and a couple of others thanks to Scott bringing
                                          it to my attention.

                                          I scan through all the replies to this question, but not see the
                                          information I will add.

                                          The "Wet Mixer" "Organic Mixer" AKA the brain does the mixing of the
                                          ultrasonic signals for you. For example say you have 2 ultrassonic
                                          signals 21 KHz and 20 KHz, anyone older than there teens would be
                                          hard pressed to hear either. But the wet mixer, does the F1-F2 mix
                                          down and a 1 KHz can be heard. I don' know the exact mechanism for
                                          the entrance of the signals to the brain, but apparently this
                                          technique is older than it would seem. Also folks into meditation
                                          has used this in a software product that produces tones( you pick
                                          them) and there is a difference of a few HZ between them. Listening
                                          to either tone, one hears the F1, say 800 HZ. But when both tones
                                          are presented to the brain through headphones, the difference can be
                                          heard dead center in the head.

                                          Look for LRAD on Google for more info.

                                          I am glad to find a natural radio group.
                                          Thank you for reading.

                                          Paul Cianciolo
                                          W1VLF

                                          --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "John Stumm" <jcstumm@...> wrote:

                                          > > John,
                                          > >
                                          > > is there a schematic (or something similar) to this "Thinkman"
                                          you are
                                          > > using that you can post for us ?
                                          > >

                                          > > Best regards, Ernst
                                          >
                                          > Ernst,
                                          > No, unfortunatly they pot the circuitry so that the board can't be
                                          > analyzed and recreated. Everything I've seen on the web deals with
                                          the
                                          > theory behind it. He's rather secretive.
                                          > They are expensive buggers to! About $600 new. I got on on e-bay
                                          for a
                                          > couple hundred.
                                          >
                                          > Regards,
                                          > John

                                        • Paul Cianciolo
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                            Mark,

                                            Read the technical section on crowd control on the LRAD page.

                                            Here is a link to http://science.howstuffworks.com/lrad.htm/printable
                                            Seems its the air that is non-linear I stand corrected.

                                            Wet mixer, and organic mixer are slang terms sometimes used to describe the
                                            brain.

                                            W1VLF

                                            New to the this list and a couple of others thanks to Scott bringing
                                            it to my attention.

                                            I scan through all the replies to this question, but not see the
                                            information I will add.

                                            The "Wet Mixer" "Organic Mixer" AKA the brain does the mixing of the
                                            ultrasonic signals for you. For example say you have 2 ultrassonic
                                            signals 21 KHz and 20 KHz, anyone older than there teens would be
                                            hard pressed to hear either. But the wet mixer, does the F1-F2 mix
                                            down and a 1 KHz can be heard. I don' know the exact mechanism for
                                            the entrance of the signals to the brain, but apparently this
                                            technique is older than it would seem. Also folks into meditation
                                            has used this in a software product that produces tones( you pick
                                            them) and there is a difference of a few HZ between them. Listening
                                            to either tone, one hears the F1, say 800 HZ. But when both tones
                                            are presented to the brain through headphones, the difference can be
                                            heard dead center in the head.

                                            Look for LRAD on Google for more info.

                                            I am glad to find a natural radio group.
                                            Thank you for reading.

                                            Paul Cianciolo
                                            W1VLF

                                            --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "John Stumm" <jcstumm@...> wrote:

                                            > > John,
                                            > >
                                            > > is there a schematic (or something similar) to this "Thinkman"
                                            you are
                                            > > using that you can post for us ?
                                            > >

                                            > > Best regards, Ernst
                                            >
                                            > Ernst,
                                            > No, unfortunatly they pot the circuitry so that the board can't be
                                            > analyzed and recreated. Everything I've seen on the web deals with
                                            the
                                            > theory behind it. He's rather secretive.
                                            > They are expensive buggers to! About $600 new. I got on on e-bay
                                            for a
                                            > couple hundred.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            > John

                                          • Peter Schmalkoke
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                              Hi,

                                              I guess the LRAD system is being confused with this one:
                                              http://www.edn.com/article/CA296500.html

                                              Peter

                                              W1EOF wrote:

                                              > Sounds interesting, but...
                                              >
                                              > Google searches of "wet mixer" come up with stuff on cement.
                                              > Google searches of "organic mixer" don't work either.
                                              > Google searches of "LRAD" return pages on crowd control devices using
                                              > sound.
                                              >
                                              > Anyone got a link to some relevant pages?
                                              >
                                              > Mark W1EOF
                                            • Christopher Gross
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                                --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "W1EOF" <w1eof@...> wrote:

                                                > Sounds interesting, but...
                                                >
                                                > Google searches of "wet mixer" come up with stuff on cement.
                                                > Google searches of "organic mixer" don't work either.
                                                > Google searches of "LRAD" return pages on crowd control devices
                                                using sound.

                                                > Anyone got a link to some relevant pages?
                                                >
                                                > Mark W1EOF

                                                An author named Robert Monroe developed a brainwave-training system
                                                along those lines; try a search for "hemi-sync". I think there are
                                                some computer programs that work in the same way, but I don't remember
                                                their names offhand. If I come across any of them, I'll post their
                                                links...

                                                Chris
                                              • John Stumm
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 15, 2006
                                                  --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Cianciolo" <paulc@...> wrote:

                                                  > Gentlemen,
                                                  >
                                                  > New to the this list and a couple of others thanks to Scott
                                                  bringing
                                                  > it to my attention.
                                                  >
                                                  > I scan through all the replies to this question, but not see the
                                                  > information I will add.
                                                  >
                                                  > The "Wet Mixer" "Organic Mixer" AKA the brain does the mixing of
                                                  the
                                                  > ultrasonic signals for you. For example say you have 2 ultrassonic
                                                  > signals 21 KHz and 20 KHz, anyone older than there teens would be
                                                  > hard pressed to hear either. But the wet mixer, does the F1-F2 mix
                                                  > down and a 1 KHz can be heard. I don' know the exact mechanism for
                                                  > the entrance of the signals to the brain, but apparently this
                                                  > technique is older than it would seem. Also folks into meditation
                                                  > has used this in a software product that produces tones( you pick
                                                  > them) and there is a difference of a few HZ between them. Listening
                                                  > to either tone, one hears the F1, say 800 HZ. But when both tones
                                                  > are presented to the brain through headphones, the difference can
                                                  be
                                                  > heard dead center in the head.
                                                  >
                                                  > Look for LRAD on Google for more info.
                                                  >
                                                  > I am glad to find a natural radio group.
                                                  > Thank you for reading.
                                                  >
                                                  > Paul Cianciolo
                                                  > W1VLF

                                                  Here's one link that describes the inventor and his background.
                                                  http://www.beyond-the-illusion.com/files/Technology/General/neuro2.txt

                                                  I gleened a lot by doing searches on his inventions, Neurophone and
                                                  Thinkman.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  John
                                                • K4THE
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 16, 2006
                                                    Here are the links to his sites:
                                                    USA http://www.neurophone.com/
                                                    Germany http://www.flanagan-forschung.de/
                                                    Germany http://www.flanagan-neurophone.com/
                                                    I was slightly acquainted with him in the early 1970's when he visited
                                                    the (now called) Monroe Institute and actually heard a demonstraton of
                                                    the "brillo pad" version.
                                                    Dennis K4THE
                                                  • sat_hacker
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 26, 2006
                                                      So what we are saying is simply replace the headphones and
                                                      related amplifier with transducers plugged into your Rx, press them
                                                      against your bonce and......... bingo.

                                                      Or am I missing something. Sounds like fun anyway.

                                                      73's