Newbie and two questions

  • henksp
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
      Hi all,

      New to this group and to VLF I want to introduce myself. I am 52
      and "doing" visual astronomy now for a long time as well as
      videoastronomy. As weather in Holland is often cloudy I am exploring
      the frontiers of radioastronomy and came into VLF/ELF and Jupiter
      receivers, which I find extremely interesting.

      I have limited electronics knowledge but I am now researching
      various VLF receivers and analyzing in PROTEUS (electronics program)
      the various receivers, which gives me the well-known steep learning
      curve. I made a modified BBB4-Rx with a 50 Hz (killer) - filter (on
      the drawing board only). The headphone amplifier is in progress.

      Now the question: I read about E-, B- and H-receivers. Can some
      explain the simple difference and what the advantages and
      disadvantages using those (with antenna's)?

      Kind regards,
      Henk Spoelstra
      Arnhem, Holland
    • Peter.Schmalkoke@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
        Hello Henk and welcome to this group

        > Now the question: I read about E-, B- and H-receivers. Can some
        > explain the simple difference and what the advantages and
        > disadvantages using those (with antenna's)?

        The vertical E field (electric) antenna has a basically omni
        directional sensitivity. It is pretty sensitive and often easier to
        build. A telescope antenna is the most practical for mobile equipment.

        The terms B- and H-field receiver are usually meant to denote the same
        thing, which means magnetic. The sensitivity has two minima in opposite
        directions, which can be an advantage, if there is a well located
        source of disturbing radiation.

        At VLF frequencies the electric field and the magnetic field components
        are largely independent of one another. Therefore it makes sense to
        have both kinds of antennas (and the appropriate receivers) available
        in order to get the best reception possible at any arbitrary location.

        Best regards

        Peter