Did this group die?

  • coilcrazy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      What happened here?
      George
    • Richard Gagnon
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        I have seen this with different Yahoo goups. I guess people just have nothing
        new to contibute and move on.
        There are still a few around though.

        Richard

        --- coilcrazy <coilcrazy1@...> wrote:

        > What happened here?
        > George

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Herbert E. Plett
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          nature has become quiet, no more space storms...
          technology has reached its peak, nothing to discuss or improve...

          --- coilcrazy <coilcrazy1@...> wrote:

          > What happened here?
          > George

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • john nelson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
            Interestinglly, observed magnetic activity on my local
            FGM3 has been quite active the last 3 days. I was
            wondering why in light of the low level solar activity
            currently. So many questions.

            John Nelson

            --- "Herbert E. Plett" <cachureos@...> wrote:

            > nature has become quiet, no more space storms...
            > technology has reached its peak, nothing to discuss
            > or improve...
            >
            > --- coilcrazy <coilcrazy1@...> wrote:
            >

            > > What happened here?
            > > George

            > http://my.yahoo.com

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • Alan Melia
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
              Hi John well it may well be "quiet" but there was an M-Class flare yesterday
              and there was a minor storm over the last few days caused by a coronal hole.
              My trawl of the archives through the last cycle suggest that we will still
              get geomag storms through the minimum and some will be intense, but they are
              usually further apart. NOAA seemed to completely miss the recent solar flare
              activity building up and have only now predicted the possiblity of M-Class
              flares 24 hours after the activity....I think someone was slumbering.
              Alan G3NYK
              > Interestinglly, observed magnetic activity on my local
              > FGM3 has been quite active the last 3 days. I was
              > wondering why in light of the low level solar activity
              > currently. So many questions.
              >
              > John Nelson

            • Barry Savage
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                Nope:
                I'm still here, but I haven't heard from Bear in a
                long while -- on any group. Anyone know of his
                whereabouts or state of being?
                Barry
              • mdennisond@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Hi all, i'm still here.
                  I had whistlers first time for ages Tuesday night here in Sheffield, UK.
                  There hasn't been any magnetic inteference though & i was getting about 5-10
                  whistlers a minute.

                  Mark

                • Jim Sky
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Hi John,

                    I was surprised to read in the RSGB publication "Auroras" that the peaks of
                    solar and Earth magnetic activity do not coincide. The reason seems to be
                    in the solar latitude of the sunspots which do exist beyond the peak solar
                    years. These spots are at latitudes that send more particles our way. Of
                    course at solar minimum when there are almost no sunspots we get a null in
                    magnetic activity.

                    Aloha,
                    Jim Sky

                    At 01:41 AM 12/2/2004, you wrote:

                    >Interestinglly, observed magnetic activity on my local
                    >FGM3 has been quite active the last 3 days. I was
                    >wondering why in light of the low level solar activity
                    >currently. So many questions.
                    >
                    >John Nelson
                    >
                    >--- "Herbert E. Plett" <cachureos@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > nature has become quiet, no more space storms...
                    > > technology has reached its peak, nothing to discuss
                    > > or improve...
                    > >
                    > > --- coilcrazy <coilcrazy1@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > What happened here?
                    > > > George

                    > > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
                    > > http://my.yahoo.com

                    >Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.
                    >http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                    >

                    >Post message: VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subscribe: VLF_Group-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    >Members may request the option of receiving just one e-mail per day which
                    >contains all of the days comments. Simply send an e-mail to the list owner
                    >(VLF_Group-owner@yahoogroups.com) requesting digest mode.
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Jim Sky
                    Radio-Sky Publishing
                    Radio Astronomy Resources: http://radiosky.com
                    Kona Coffee for Astronomers: http://hawaiiansky.com
                  • Alan Melia
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                      Hi Jim, not quite we still get geomagnetic storms in the solar minimum even
                      when there are no sun-spots, there are just less of them. They are not only
                      associated with flares from sun-spots but also with coronal
                      activity....streams from the so called "coronal holes" In an attempt to see
                      what effect thesolar minimum would have on LF propagation I went back to
                      look at the geomag record for the last one. The following page has "graphs"
                      showing the number of days between geomag storms for varios years. I cant
                      now remember the criterial but i think it may have been Kp>4 which is the
                      definition of a minor storm I think.
                      http://www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/forecast.htm
                      It was an attempt to see what propagation might be like on the Amateur
                      136kHz band.
                      The solar cycle is assymetric with a quick rise (abt 4 years) and a slow fal
                      (abt 7 years) and the peak of geomag activity seems to lag about 18months
                      behind the sun-spot max.
                      So plenty of chance for listening in the years to come.
                      Alan G3NYK