Whistlers

  • INSPIRE Team I-1
    Message 1 of 294 , Oct 1, 2004
      Greetings,

      There are whistlers occurring once again in Colorado. They started around 3:00 AM (at a strength of S2-S3) and are still in progress at 8:00 AM. The whistlers are pure tone whistlers and are actually getting stronger as the morning progresses! They are currently S4 in strength!

      I have a hunch I might know when to monitor for good whistlers. Watch the TEC map <http://iono.jpl.nasa.gov//latest_rti_global.html> for the development of dark gray banding that stretches from the northernmost part of the TEC map to the southernmost part of the TEC map. Whistlers are heard as this gray banding passes over (or is near) your respective location. Whistlers have been heard twice under such conditions here in Colorado!

      It's worth watching anyway.

      Shawn

      Get your name as your email address.
    • vlfkorgan1
      Message 294 of 294 , Sep 26, 2014
        Hi Michael,

        My assumption is the whistlers this morning are being heard in a line from Texas up through Montana. The lightning generating the activity is moving Eastward and may generate whistlers for Illinois later today or tomorrow.

        I use the following map to watch lightning conditions:
        http://webflash.ess.washington.edu/TOGA_network_global_maps.htm http://webflash.ess.washington.edu/TOGA_network_global_maps.htm

        When monitoring VLF activity at a quiet location miles from power lines many of us have used a scale similar to the following:

        S1 - Very faint to weak
        S2 - Clearly audible but not loud
        S3 - Loud
        S4 - Very loud
        S5 - Strongest whistlers possible/overloading receiving equipment

        My home receiver is 1 to 2 notches lower in sensitivity than at a quiet location. The whistlers are reaching S2 into S3 on the home receiver which roughly equates to S3 to S4 at a quiet location.

        I hope your receiver and setup are all fixed and working now. This is a great time of the year (near an equinox) for whistlers in the United States.

        Shawn
        73's KB0LSW