Whistlers

  • VLFkorgan@juno.com
    Message 1 of 294 , Mar 1, 2002
      Whistlers are once again being heard as of last night (Thursday
      night) into this morning. The strength of the whistlers is somewhat low
      with a volume around S1-S2 with a rare S3 every few hours. (scale of
      1-5). From the house, I'm capable of hearing several per minute but dare
      not venture out unnecessarily due to the worst winter storm so far of the
      season.

      Shawn
    • vlfkorgan1
      Message 294 of 294 , Sep 26, 2014
        Hi Michael,

        My assumption is the whistlers this morning are being heard in a line from Texas up through Montana. The lightning generating the activity is moving Eastward and may generate whistlers for Illinois later today or tomorrow.

        I use the following map to watch lightning conditions:
        http://webflash.ess.washington.edu/TOGA_network_global_maps.htm http://webflash.ess.washington.edu/TOGA_network_global_maps.htm

        When monitoring VLF activity at a quiet location miles from power lines many of us have used a scale similar to the following:

        S1 - Very faint to weak
        S2 - Clearly audible but not loud
        S3 - Loud
        S4 - Very loud
        S5 - Strongest whistlers possible/overloading receiving equipment

        My home receiver is 1 to 2 notches lower in sensitivity than at a quiet location. The whistlers are reaching S2 into S3 on the home receiver which roughly equates to S3 to S4 at a quiet location.

        I hope your receiver and setup are all fixed and working now. This is a great time of the year (near an equinox) for whistlers in the United States.

        Shawn
        73's KB0LSW