Suggestions for Multimeter

  • Derrik Walker v2.0
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      I know, this isn't totally on topic, but maybe someone in this group
      can help...

      My 13 year old Fluke multimeter recently bit the big one and I need to
      replace it.

      Any recommendations?

      Thanks,

      - Derrik

      firebug@...
      http://junior.apk.net/~firebug
      ---------------------------
      I wanted people to understand that nature not only gave the eye's to
      see her works, but brains to make them capable of understanding
      -- Galilai Galileo
    • W1EOF
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        Derrik,

        I've been looking as well. Here are some of my impressions from what I found
        out:

        ERGONOMICS - I remember years ago I had a Beckman DVM and loved it. It broke
        and I got a very expensive Fluke DVM. It was very nice and extremely
        accurate. My problem with it was the piano keys. I always found them MUCH
        harder to use with one hand rather than a single knob that you rotate. This
        was a personal thing, but it struck me big.

        DANGER - I've heard some horror stories about cheap meters blowing up in
        peoples hands when measuring high voltages. If you never work on anything
        higher than 24 vdc, that might not be a concern.

        PRECISION - The accuracy of the cheap meters is NOT the same as
        "professional" meters. Here is the old "You get what you pay for" deal. That
        might not be a big concern, depending on what you use it for. Do you care
        whether a voltage is 1.00 or 1.02? That's 1%. Look carefully at the accuracy
        ratings (not resolution, that's different). Typically they are rated as a %
        of full scale (FS) +- a reading. On some smaller readings at the bottom of a
        range this could result in 10% or %20 (or worse) error.

        IN THE DARK AGAIN - I've been thinking of buying a cheap DVM from
        http://www.goldmine-elec.com They have one that is BACKLIT for $16.95. I may
        buy that one strictly for the backlit LCD, at times that could be a very
        handy feature. http://www.harborfreight.com has a cheap one for like $5.95
        that could be just the thing to stick in the trunk of the car for some
        on-the-road troubleshooting.

        MEASURE YOUR CAP - Some of the cheaper meters can be had with a capacitor
        meter in them for just a few more bucks. I wonder if anyone on the list has
        had experience with these as to their accuracy?

        LAB METERS - I've seen some really good deals on Ebay if you are looking for
        a real professional meter at a reasonable price. Every day there are Fluke,
        Keithly, HP meters sold and attractive prices. I am going to buy a nice lab
        DVM, 4.5 or 5.5 digits on Ebay very soon.

        Beyond the other comments, I'd say just do a Google or Vivisimo search.
        There are a LOT of meters out there in a variety of price ranges.

        That's my $.02!

        Mark W1EOF

        PS: http://www.goldmine-elec.com is a great place to just poke around for
        all kinds of electronic goodies. They have a VERY eclectic mix of stuff, but
        some of it is very inexpensive.

        Members of the VLF discussion group may request the option of receiving just
        one e-mail per day (or no e-mail). This e-mail will be sent at the end of
        each day and will include all of the days' comments. Simply send an e-mail
        to the list owner (VLF_Group-owner@yahoogroups.com) requesting digest mode
        (or no e-mail).