SV: [VLF_Group] Files Section

  • Trond Jacobsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hello Shwan and VLF group

      I have some strong opinions regarding this subject;

      It is NOT up to Yahoo to decide what e-mail adress I want to use.

      It is NOT up to Yahoo to decide the level of our activities, - what we want to share with our fellow list members and what we want to have in our files sections for the benefit of ALL in the group. By saying that only Yahoo accounts should have access to the file section, they are excluding members from a group of people, who are interested in VLF topics on a free and non commercial basis.

      What comes next you think ? Only Yahoo accounts will be able to receive VLF group messages ?

      My suggestion is;

      Primary; We should move the group files to a ftp site with acces for all.
      Secondary: We should get a new home for the VLF group message board !

      Regarding the ftp site; I guess I could arrange that, as I have a ftp site at my mail and web provider. ( just have to get some help from my friend, - the data guru, in order to understand how I transfer files to that ftp area. :-)) With the help from the same person, I even think I could set up a home page for the VLF group.

      Just my opinion !

      Best regards

      Trond at ALFLAB,
      Halden in Norway
      59:08:12N 11:23:55E

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
        Hi,

        I think this is a good idea. Just tell me if you need any help- I do web
        development both as a hobby and professionally. It would be easy to make
        a webpage in a linux/php environment with a webmaster controlling user
        privilege upload/download. That should be easier that ftp...

        Mvh. MartinL

      • W1EOF
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
          We are playing in Yahoos yard, using their toys. We have to play by their rules, that's the way you play! They have the right to ask that they know the name/email address of all that play in their yard... OK enough of THAT analogy. Seriously, they are a business. I have not always liked how they do their business, but the trade-offs are all above-board. We're free to host our list/site anywhere we want if we don't want to meet their requirements.

          I believe we can setup a reflector at no cost on www.qth.net The live by donations, not advertisements in every email. Their servers seem to be reliable. They also have free hosting, but I'm not sure about the space/size requirements.

          73,

          Mark W1EOF

        • Shawn E. Korgan
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
            Hi all,

            The only change that will affect the group is that the files section will
            once again be off limits to non Yahoo users. Other than this, everything
            else will remain the same as it is currently after the Yahoo changes go
            into effect.

            Shawn
          • Mark Karney
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2003
              Thanks to all who have commented on the new file procedures from Yahoo. It
              seems that most of the problems that members have had with this reflector
              have been related to files upload/download. I am looking to find another
              way to do this from another website and I will keep you posted. I have the
              site and I just need to make sure there is a secure way to do it.

              As far as the discussion group goes, Yahoo provides a good free service
              that is extremely easy to manage. I don't think their advertising is all
              that intrusive, and the security is such that we are free of unwanted posts
              with minimal management effort. However, we are guests of Yahoo and as
              their business model changes, this site could be gone or the rules could
              change at a moment's notice.

              I will investigate moving the group, but this may take a little longer to
              figure out. Also, if we move to a site that is free of advertising, there
              could be costs involved that would have to be borne by the group. I don't
              know if our volume of discussion would generate extra bandwidth charges or
              not but I will investigate.

              Meanwhile, keep up your discussions on the fascinating hobby of Natural Radio.

              Mark

              Mark Karney - N9JWF
              VLF_Group list Owner
              mkarney@...
              <http://www.norwest.net/norwest/>www.norwest.net

            • colin mackenzie
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
                Hello,
                As you can see, I use Yahoo free E-mail,I use Library access,
                this is extensive in my home town fortunately. although I agree with
                trond, I am not certain that yahoo is out to control our group, it
                looks like they are trying to limit (over-kill/abuse) of what they
                can offer.
                Anyone thought of remaining with Yahoo meanwhile, for everything but
                the files and QSL/Qth.net,Very Radio related friendly,or lwca.org
                ,very low frequency friendly I tend to Qsl.net for the files,also a
                web page to go with them????This might be as pragmatic, economical
                and practical as we can manage.
                listening.

              • Richard Gagnon
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
                  I have been on Yahoo since summer 1998 and I get something (spam? advertising?)
                  from Yahoo, maybe twice a month which is not an issue with me. Yes, there is a
                  lot of advertising on their pages but I learned a long time ago how to ignore
                  it. I clean files, cookies, cache, history regularly, at least once an hour. It
                  might now make any difference but I watch myself. I do not remember ever seeing
                  any advertising related to Yahoo so I do not think they sell addresses. I might
                  be wrong on that, but so far service has been very good.
                  Since I do not have an ego problem, I am not very interested in what kind of
                  address I have. I have two other free Email addresses with two other concerns
                  that are used for Google groups and they are different. I have been very happy
                  with Yahoo so far.

                  Richard Gagnon

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com