Re: [VLF_Group] Re: E-field rx, front-end protection

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 73 , Mar 1, 2013
      I tested some 1G resistors,

      http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/2477856/

      Metal glaze, not sure what that is but I could not measure any
      excess noise when used as a bias resistor. Going from 100M
      to 1G the thermal noise went down by about the right amount.

      Also tested these 100M from the same series,

      http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/2477834/

      They worked fine too.

      These are now in prx-e1 and the latest circuit is in

      http://abelian.org/vlf/prx-e1/prx-e1.pdf

      Added an LCR network into the front-end to reduce signals
      above 1MHz, adds some very worthwhile attenuation (but not
      without problems). It may look like an LC filter but in fact
      is an RC filter. The L serves only to shunt the thermal noise
      of the resistor below 200kHz.

      Have decided to drop the cross-coupled line driver and reverted
      to the conventional output circuit - the other was too much
      of an unknown quantity and didn't add enough value for the risk.

      Has one less gain stage than the previous draft. This might
      upset the balance of the differential output and the opamp
      may have to go back in.

      I set a computer to model all the combinations of jumper
      settings and a range of antenna capacitances from 30pF to
      1000pF and various input cable capacitance. This throws up a
      few problems with certain combinations, many of which involve
      the L101. The front-end circuit has a long way to go to make
      it robust and general purpose.

      Caroline wrote:
      > When will http://67.207.143.181/prx-e1.m3u be streaming again?

      Not for a couple of weeks at least. This weekend aim to test
      the line driver with various lengths of cat5 and coax, try some
      options for line isolation, and test a few other little things.
      Next weekend will have another try at forcing some intermod
      in the front end: a long long wire as high as I can get it.
      It will have to cope with plenty of medium wave and HF because
      I'll tune the wire. At last I can use again those big old
      vane caps that have sat in the junk box for decades.

      --
      Paul Nicholson
      Message 73 of 73 , Mar 21, 2013
        Got a good price for the PCB fabrication from a local
        (Todmorden) manufacturer and I added up the parts cost,

        In UK pounds for the populated boards:

        prx-e1 E-field front end: 23.67

        prx-t1 Filter, line driver, PSU: 52.73

        prx-r1 Line receiver: 24.42

        About 100 quid for the set, not including boxes and
        cables, etc, and doesn't include assembly and test.

        Well that's a bit cheaper than I thought it would come
        to. Will complete the breadboard testing this month
        and have a set of boards built up in April and then some
        serious testing.

        Further back in the pipeline is prx-h1 which is an
        H-field front-end developed from the loop receiver I
        currently use, and a -p1 isolated power supply.

        --
        Paul Nicholson