TEST - please ignore

  • dl4yhf
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      activity here as low as the whistler's ..
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2012
        > - please ignore

        Guaranteed to produce replies.

        > activity here as low as the whistler's ..

        Coming towards the end of the season in Europe, but North America
        activity will be picking up soon.

        Happy with the low activity, chance to work on some software...
        Busy with meteor analysis program:- takes events from
        All-sky fireball network in North America and the
        Polish fireball network in Europe. Hopefully will get
        that finished at the weekend. Those networks provide
        prompt enough info online. Software searches for any signals
        coming from near the meteor location and time. Eight examined
        so far, no signals.

        A new page to show 5-site TOGA hits on sferics, works
        best when Atlantic in darkness.

        http://abelian.org/vlf/index.php?page=toga

        Europe map not working properly yet.
        --
        Paul Nicholson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2012
          --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, Paul <paul@...> wrote:

          > > - please ignore
          >
          > Guaranteed to produce replies.
          >
          > > activity here as low as the whistler's ..
          >
          > Coming towards the end of the season in Europe, but North America
          > activity will be picking up soon.
          >
          > Happy with the low activity, chance to work on some software...
          > Busy with meteor analysis program:- takes events from
          > All-sky fireball network in North America and the
          > Polish fireball network in Europe. Hopefully will get
          > that finished at the weekend. Those networks provide
          > prompt enough info online. Software searches for any signals
          > coming from near the meteor location and time. Eight examined
          > so far, no signals.
          >
          > A new page to show 5-site TOGA hits on sferics, works
          > best when Atlantic in darkness.
          >
          > http://abelian.org/vlf/index.php?page=toga
          >
          > Europe map not working properly yet.
          > --
          > Paul Nicholson
          > --

          Paul,

          Could you please explain your statement:

          But North America activity will be picking up soon.

          I've been listening almost every night near Chicago. I only have heard
          3 Whistlers all back in the winter and the Dawn chorus once. Although
          most of the time I have listened only around midnight, but I have heard
          whistlers many time on the Delf Europe SDR receiver.
          Do you have any thoughts on what time of the year would be best form
          my location.

          Thanks Joe
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2012
            Joe wrote:
            [North America activity will be picking up soon.]
            > Could you please explain your statement:

            Going by whistler activity logged in Florida, the
            activity is from May to August and tends to be between
            11:00 and 13:00 UT.

            Whether that applies to Chicago is not known - 10 degrees
            of longitude or a few degrees of latitude can make quite
            a difference. There is very little info available on
            whistler rates.

            All I can suggest is keep listening and counting. Make
            notes. Systematic observations build up a picture.
            If you can receive from home or some other permanent
            site, the counting can be automated.

            > near Chicago.

            I make your conjugate around 63S,101W,

            http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/jp120502a.gif

            Look out on the WWLLN map for lightning storms down there,
            but you may find that whistler activity doesn't correlate
            well with conjugate lightning activity. You might also get
            a good supply of 2-hops from North America when storms
            are in the right place and there is some solar activity
            to pollute the magnetosphere with plenty of extra electrons.
            --
            Paul Nicholson