Re: Whistlers 9-30-2011

  • dl4yhf
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Shawn and group,

      Indeed, stunning ! Go for the early dawn after a night with a chance of auroral chorus..

      For us mountain-man-wannabe's, the only chance to make such recordings may be flying a meteorologic balloon with a VLF->UHF (FM) converter, with long thin wires as a vertical dipole ;o) ;o)

      Have a nice weekend,
      Wolf .
    • Shawn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
        Hi Edgar,

        I am glad to share. There is a sensitivity that can only be achieved away from power lines (and even greater sensitivity atop a
        tall mountain) however that being said, good whistlers are bound to be received sooner or later on any home receiver. I have not
        tried a loop antenna at the house however I would like to give one a try sometime to compare against the tree antenna. Whistlers
        are often best around the spring and fall equinox so this is a great time to listen.

        Shawn

        Very nice whistler and echo!!! Sometimes I feel ignernt or like I'm
        snipe hunting for even trying to hear anything like that in Middle Tn,
        in my neighborhood, with a loop. Great work, Shawn & best regards to
        all, Edgar
      • EdgarBigDog
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
          Hi Shawn, my Adult Kiddo Son, age 25, is in COS and has
          a nice (EarthRadio Scout) Loop Receiver that is set up to use wire loops
          strung in trees. I'd love to get the two of you together to try his
          receiver in a good spot! Best Regards, Edgar
          --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <vlfcolorado@...> wrote:

          > Hi Edgar,
          >
          > I am glad to share. There is a sensitivity that can only be achieved
          away from power lines (and even greater sensitivity atop a
          > tall mountain) however that being said, good whistlers are bound to be
          received sooner or later on any home receiver. I have not
          > tried a loop antenna at the house however I would like to give one a
          try sometime to compare against the tree antenna. Whistlers
          > are often best around the spring and fall equinox so this is a great
          time to listen.

          > Shawn

          Behalf Of EdgarBigDog