Re: Activity - Solar Wind Stream

  • dl4yhf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Mark,
      Thanks for the info. Nothing noticed here yet (on "VLF6"), but I keep listening.

      -...-

      Just a short reminder: SAQ / 17.2 kHz on July 3rd, details here:
      http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

      Cheers,
      Wolf .

      --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <mdennisond@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > A solar wind stream is currently buffeting our Earth's magnetic field thus sparking vlf activity at the moment 07:30 GMT Sheffield,UK.
      > Some weak whistlers are present at the moment, activity might increase as the day progresses.
      > My stream is currently offline due to decorating, will be back on within the next couple of days.
      >
      > Mark

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        No sign of anything here yet. A handful of whistlers
        yesterday evening.

        For some reason I had BBC radio 5 breaking through rather
        badly for a while last night. The 909kHz moorside edge
        transmitter is not too far from here. Never had it break
        through before so maybe a fault is developing.
        --
        Paul Nicholson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi Paul,

          Yes heard the radio station coming through yesterday while I was listening.

          Only weak whistlers this morning and it was just a small disturbance that
          dissipated within a couple of hours, still might give us some whistlers
          later in the evening, I believe there's still some solar wind stream to come
          within the next 24 hours.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 08:12:16 +0000, you wrote:

            >For some reason I had BBC radio 5 breaking through rather
            >badly for a while last night. The 909kHz moorside edge
            >transmitter is not too far from here.

            Look for a corroded connection at/around your antenna....sounds like a
            classic case of something acting like a diode and mixing everything in the
            area (like that nearby transmitter) with everything else.

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              Gary Woods wrote:
              > Look for a corroded connection at/around your antenna...
              > sounds like a classic case ...

              That may have accounted for it. There was a poor looking
              connection of the antenna lead into the front-end.

              The moorside edge TX puts out 400kW of AM and is only
              14km away so it wouldn't need much non-linearity to
              cause a problem.
              --
              Paul Nicholson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 17:31:23 +0000, you wrote:

                >The moorside edge TX puts out 400kW of AM and is only
                >14km away

                Wow! The highest power in the U.S. for medium-wave broadcast is 50KW; I
                think some of the shortwave folks may be allowed higher.

              • 4x4Junky
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                  What part of the band or freq range can I listen to the solar winds on?

                  Thanks