Computer Soundcard

  • Pete Crapia
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      Has anyone here used the microphone input on a computer soundcard for
      listening to VLF signals? If so how well does it work for you?

      Pete
    • Graeme Zimmer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        Hi Pete,

        > Has anyone here used the microphone input on a computer soundcard for
        > listening to VLF signals? If so how well does it work for you?

        Just fine, as long as you don't overload it of course.... and RF
        breakthrough should always be guarded against...

        ...... Zim
      • Gallagher, Dennis
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2003
          Pete,

          I started to do that with this recent joint INSPIRE observing event, but
          found I only had monaural input and couldn't feed WWV on one channel and VLF
          on the other. I did find that I ought to be able to get enough bandwidth.
          I can't report yet on the consequence of choosing one encoding scheme versus
          another of the couple that a Win2k system offers by default. I ended up
          buying a Creative Design Exigy for my laptop. It's their external version
          of a nice sound card. I used their included wave recording software to
          record and seem to have had excellent results.

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2003
            Oops, the product is called Extigy, not Exigy.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2003
              > Has anyone here used the microphone input on a computer soundcard for
              > listening to VLF signals? If so how well does it work for you?
              >
              > Pete

              Yes I did! Have a look at http://www.stormloader.com/gkircher/ .

              -gerhard
            • Myrton
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2003
                That is way cool.
                My sound cars is an ESS, comparable to Sound Blaster Live ! technology. Now I can't wait to try your setup.

                Nice work there om, many 73 for now.... ..

                > Has anyone here used the microphone input on a computer soundcard for
                > listening to VLF signals? If so how well does it work for you?
                >
                > Pete

                Yes I did! Have a look at http://www.stormloader.com/gkircher/ .

                -gerhard

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2003
                  Greetings from Rhode Island.
                  I am finally getting around to trying this.
                  Not much in the way of success as yet, but I am trying.... ..
                  I am using DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab (Audio Signal Analyzer)software.

                  Next I need to build a proper isolation circuit as I am using a
                  rather LARGE loop antenna, out doors.

                  --- In VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Kircher <gerhard@k...>