Re: [VLF_Group] Re: "VLF Netbook"

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
      In the end, I chose the Samsung N140, costs a bit more than the
      Ideapad S10-2 and claims longer time on battery. Has a nice
      keyboard for typing and a low reflectance screen.

      Installed Ubuntu desktop 9.10, and what an awful system
      that is - you might as well stay with windows. But after
      some time spent removing gnome and all the junk that goes
      with it and putting in a proper window manager, it becomes
      usable. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a computer
      novice, and then I would say, stay with Windows. Linux has
      sunk a long way in its attempt to behave as clunky as Windows.

      With hindsight I should have installed Ubuntu server and
      added the necessary things to make it into a desktop.

      So far the only significant thing not working is the wireless
      network, Realtek 8192 chip is not supported. Downloaded and
      installed a Linux driver but still no luck. I never have
      much luck with Realtek chipsets.

      Will put it to the test this weekend with a 'field trial' to
      make some H-field hum measurements.
      --
      Paul Nicholson
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi Paul,

        You wrote:
        > Installed Ubuntu desktop 9.10, and what an awful system
        > that is - you might as well stay with windows. ... Linux has
        > sunk a long way in its attempt to behave as clunky as Windows.

        Confirmed, especially those "Netbook-Ubuntu".
        As I wrote some weeks ago here: after trying some other Linux/BSD I came back to Opensuse, 11.2 (2.6.31.xx-Kernel). With 1GB of RAM it's working fine, even when using OpenOffice-Impress or other elephants.

        During installation you will be asked for your desktop/windowmanager. Don't choose KDE or GNOME! I chose XFCE and added some useful tools later (networkmanager plug-in, etc.). Did you update the BIOS to "05CU"?

        > So far the only significant thing not working is the wireless
        > network, Realtek 8192 chip is not supported. Downloaded and
        > installed a Linux driver but still no luck.

        Interesting: the N140 here uses the Atheros, AR9285. Worked out of the box with Opensuse and XFCE/Networkmanager. Only the ethernet-adapter is from Realtek, but working flawlessly too.

        Peter, 54N 10E
      • Doug Welch
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
          Hi Paul,

          On my system, I installed the full regular Ubuntu 9.10. The "netbook"
          version of Ubuntu has a "My Little Pony" interface that is completely
          unusable.

          Cheers,
          Doug

          Paul wrote:
          > In the end, I chose the Samsung N140, costs a bit more than the
          > Ideapad S10-2 and claims longer time on battery. Has a nice
          > keyboard for typing and a low reflectance screen.
          >
          > Installed Ubuntu desktop 9.10, and what an awful system
          > that is - you might as well stay with windows. But after
          > some time spent removing gnome and all the junk that goes
          > with it and putting in a proper window manager, it becomes
          > usable. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a computer
          > novice, and then I would say, stay with Windows. Linux has
          > sunk a long way in its attempt to behave as clunky as Windows.
          >
          > With hindsight I should have installed Ubuntu server and
          > added the necessary things to make it into a desktop.
          >
          > So far the only significant thing not working is the wireless
          > network, Realtek 8192 chip is not supported. Downloaded and
          > installed a Linux driver but still no luck. I never have
          > much luck with Realtek chipsets.
          >
          > Will put it to the test this weekend with a 'field trial' to
          > make some H-field hum measurements.
          > --
          > Paul Nicholson
          > --
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
            Peter schrieb:
            > Did you update the BIOS to "05CU"?

            No, I'm on 04CU. I think this is causing a problem,
            a disk timeout occurs soon after boot up - the BIOS is
            being a bit naughty and sending power management commands
            to the disk without going through ACPI - causes a SATA
            timeout which forces a reset by the Linux driver.

            I put in fvwm2 which is the only WM that I can tolerate.

            > the N140 here uses the Atheros, AR9285.

            Yes, some have the Atheros, others the RTL8192. Will do
            battle with it later. Works fine with USB external
            wireless, maybe I'll leave it that way so that I can
            save power by disabling the internal.

            Found the necessary PCI pokes to make the brightness
            controls work and in the WM the Fn keys can be mapped to
            suitable setpci commands.

            This evening I will test the soundcard input.

            So far, I'm very pleased with it - the problems are only
            minor.
            --
            Paul Nicholson
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
              Hi Paul,

              > No, I'm on 04CU. I think this is causing a problem,
              > a disk timeout occurs soon after boot up - the BIOS is
              > being a bit naughty and sending power management commands
              > to the disk without going through ACPI - causes a SATA
              > timeout which forces a reset by the Linux driver.

              I read about that phenomenon but never observed that with Opensuse and 04CU.

              > I put in fvwm2 which is the only WM that I can tolerate.

              What, that decadent leviathan? =:(
              I prefer TWM!
              Indeed I used fvwm2 too in the past until I lost my laborious self-written config file...

              > Found the necessary PCI pokes to make the brightness
              > controls work and in the WM the Fn keys can be mapped to
              > suitable setpci commands.

              Interested!

              > This evening I will test the soundcard input.

              Good luck. Baudline and SIDD working flawlessly here.

              Peter, 54N 10E
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
                Peter schrieb:

                > [fvwm2] What, that decadent leviathan? =:(

                That's the one. And I launch it with startx - none of that
                xdm nonsense :)

                Have to admit though, I no longer make up the XF86 config
                file by hand. Getting lazy in old age, I guess.

                And of course I do away with the splash screen on bootup,
                how stupid it is to put up a splash screen to hide what you
                really want to see which are the startup dmesgs.

                And that awful NetworkManager daemon, I kill that off
                straight away. It constantly tries to second guess your
                network settings - you do an ifconfig and a few seconds
                later that horrible daemon changes it, or makes its own
                guess at the routings you want! Insane. Must be an M$
                plant - you can tell by the camel cased name :)

                To set brightness, use

                setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=xx

                where xx is a 2 digit hex code, 00 = backlight off, ff = maximum.

                Doug wrote:
                > I installed the full regular Ubuntu 9.10.

                Yes, here too. I didn't try the 'netbook' version.

                > The "netbook" version of Ubuntu has a "My Little Pony" interface
                > that is completely unusable.

                :) I would have said that about the desktop version too.

                BTW I read somewhere that the N140 will do 1920x1080 when plugged
                into an external screen but haven't tried that yet.
                --
                Paul Nicholson