Static build up in clouds ?

  • Mark <mdennisond@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi all,
      We're having abit of a storm here in Sheffield UK at the moment with
      odd lightning.
      What i'm hearing is like whistling varying up & down in pitch,
      charecteristics of static, is this normal ?
      It's pretty cool as it would give me a warning of static build up in
      clouds waiting to release the energy in the form of lightning.
      Paul are getting abit of a storm in your location tonight ?

      Mark.
    • tom sheridan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
        Try putting the ground rod in your navel, and it should work!
        "Mark <mdennisond@...>" <mdennisond@...> wrote:Hi all,
        We're having abit of a storm here in Sheffield UK at the moment with
        odd lightning.
        What i'm hearing is like whistling varying up & down in pitch,
        charecteristics of static, is this normal ?
        It's pretty cool as it would give me a warning of static build up in
        clouds waiting to release the energy in the form of lightning.
        Paul are getting abit of a storm in your location tonight ?

        Mark.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Post message: VLF_Group@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: VLF_Group-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Members of the VLF discussion group may request the option of receiving just one e-mail per day (or no e-mail). This e-mail will be sent at the end of each day and will include all of the days' comments. Simply send an e-mail to the list owner (VLF_Group-owner@yahoogroups.com) requesting digest mode (or no e-mail).

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
          Hmmm, seems we have a comedian.

          Mark.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
            Hi Mark,

            I'm hearing some funny whistling noises too, like chirping noises.
            Maybe just very watery tweaks?

            > Paul are getting abit of a storm in your location tonight ?

            A storm passed over here an hour or so ago. Left it as long as I
            dared before disconnecting everything. One nearby flash caused
            the rx to shut down for a second or so.

            http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tmp/sf010303a.mp3

            There's a funny hollow hiss after the rx comes back. I pulled
            the plug at that point!

            Back on now.

            Lots of hail static, hard to make sense of the VLF tonight.
            --
            Paul Nicholson
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
              Hi Paul,
              Yeah i pulled the plug too when i heard the static.
              I had to fork out for a new psu this afternoon as it gave up the ghost.
              Back up & runnning now though :)

              Mark.

            • WarmSpgs@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                In a message dated 3/1/03, mdennisond@... writes:

                << We're having abit of a storm here in Sheffield UK at the moment with
                odd lightning.
                What i'm hearing is like whistling varying up & down in pitch,
                charecteristics of static, is this normal ?
                It's pretty cool as it would give me a warning of static build up in
                clouds waiting to release the energy in the form of lightning. >>

                If this whistling is a long duration raspy or buzzing sort of note (much
                different from a whistler) then it may be a warning of static buildup on your
                receiving antenna! If so, this is a very dangerous condition. One should
                discontinue VLF activities and get well clear of the hardware when a storm
                approaches!

                There are by no means too many of us in this peculiar hobby to begin with.
                Let's keep safety first in our activities.

                John Davis
              • mdennisond@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                  Too right John, i disconnected after i heard this.
                  My copper pipe is encased in plastic tube with rubber grommet at the top
                  hoping to give it some form of safety, better than just having the copper
                  pipe, would you agree ?

                  Mark.

                • tom sheridan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                      Sounds to me that you've got static build up in certain parts of your brain
                      Tom.
                      Maybe you should contact a doctor, i believe they have pills that might make
                      you better.
                      Tom this is a serious group & not a silly chat room, please take your silly
                      comments elsewhere.

                      Mark.

                    • Shawn E. Korgan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                        Hi Mark & group,

                        Yes, this is static build up. At times, the static will even sound like
                        a whine or squeal. What you are hearing from my understanding is a
                        buildup in electrical charge above the surface of the ground. There is
                        also a charge building up in the clouds (usually at the base of the
                        clouds). These two charges get stronger and move closer to each other
                        until the resistance of the air between the two charges breaks down and
                        lightning is the result.

                        I know of a person here locally that had nearly all the electronic
                        equipment in their house destroyed by a single lightning strike. Ouch!
                        Even their wall outlets were melted and/or welded internally and had to
                        be replaced. Lightning is a powerful thing and your antenna was
                        basically acting as one of the relays of the charge heading toward the
                        sky (a precursor for a lightning strike at that precise location). This
                        is the same thing that makes a person's hair stand on just before
                        lightning strikes nearby!

                        Shawn