Re: Ice tweeks

  • hughgibs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 7:42 AM
      > This should no be so much off-topic, because these crackling ice sounds
      > look exactly like the tweeks which can be received by night on ELF/VLF.
      > Performing a spectral analysis shows that the ice acoustical sounds
      look
      > exactly like the electromagnetic tweeks.

      That´s not too surprising.. Dispersion is a pretty common
      phenomenon in nature.

      At a guess though, I would have said that the noise you
      hear with stones on ice is a surface acoustic wave on
      the ice surface (Surface acoustic waves are also strongly dispersive)
      and little to do with the depth of the lake (but probably a function
      of the diameter of the lake and the thickness of the ice)

      I also remember the sounds from childhood from an iced over
      paddling pool that was only a foot deep giving similar noise.
      I suspect it is largely water depth invariant (perhaps
      some bored person can carry out an experminent?)

      Interstingly, liquid water is also dispersive.. if you throw a
      pebble into a pond the shortest, fastest ripples will reach the bank
      first followed by the lower frequencies. You have to be watching
      pretty carefully though to appreciate it though. In this case,
      depth of the pond does matter.
      Cheers, Hugh Gibson