Could my rabbit have had VHD?

  • bluegal2007@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
      On January 13, 2010

      I noticed My rabbit didn't eat her food and had bloody mucus from her
      bottom. She was weak. She would drink water if I offered it, but not
      food. I went to the vet immediately and they took a fecal (mostly
      blood) sample. The Doc gave her an antibiotic injection and oral
      anti-fungal for me to administer twice a day.

      This morning I found her laying on her side breathing very fast and
      shallow. I gave her her medicine, but it just ran down her face. I
      checked her bottom and she had a runny stool with blood. I knew she was
      going to die, so I just held her until she did. I called the vet and he
      said the fecal sample was negative. I still don't know what killed her.
      Could it be VHD? She died about 4 hours ago. I have not disposed of
      her body yet. Can something be done to check for that post-mortem?
      (inexpensively??)

      Thanks to advise.

      Susan

      Thanks,

      Susan

      January 14, 2010

      Moo passed away this morning.

    • Roslyn Lamb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
        Hello, Susan

        Is this the same bunny that was mentioned on EB today? The details sound
        familiar

        It's an outside possibility depending on where you live, but I'd say highly
        unlikely. It's far more likely something like mucoid enteritis.

        Most cases of VHD show no symptoms at all, just a suddenly dead rabbit and
        you only find out the cause on necropsy. If they do bleed it's generally
        from more than one orifice.

        I suspect this is either a gut infection - please get water and pellet
        slurry or Critical Care into her - or if she isn't spayed may be either
        pyometra or uterine cancer.

        Whatever the cause, you really do need veterinary intervention.

        Ros

        2010/1/14 bluegal2007@... <bluegal2007@...>

        > On January 13, 2010
        >
        > I noticed My rabbit didn't eat her food and had bloody mucus from her
        > bottom. She was weak. She would drink water if I offered it, but not
        > food. I went to the vet immediately and they took a fecal (mostly
        > blood) sample. The Doc gave her an antibiotic injection and oral
        > anti-fungal for me to administer twice a day.
        >
        > This morning I found her laying on her side breathing very fast and
        > shallow. I gave her her medicine, but it just ran down her face. I
        > checked her bottom and she had a runny stool with blood. I knew she was
        > going to die, so I just held her until she did. I called the vet and he
        > said the fecal sample was negative. I still don't know what killed her.
        > Could it be VHD? She died about 4 hours ago. I have not disposed of
        > her body yet. Can something be done to check for that post-mortem?
        > (inexpensively??)
        >
        > Thanks to advise.
        >
        > Susan
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Susan
        >

        > January 14, 2010
        >

        > Moo passed away this morning.

        I support the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund
        http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
        hq@...
        National Helpline 0844 324 6090
        A hutch is not enough
        (/(-.-)\).(/(-.-)\)
        (")(")o. o(")(")

      • Carole VanWie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
          Susan, I am very sorry for your lose. All bunny lovers have been through
          this heartache. GOSH, I wish there were a way to change the result......I
          do not think VHD is involved. I would need to know more about the age of
          your bunny..............remember the females have a VERY high rate of cancer
          if they are unspayed...both mammary and uterine and this is what I hear, but
          I am not a vet. Females get a cancerous problem called primethria (?) where
          there is a blood sac around the utheria and they appear to bleed.. I
          constantanly hear of un-rabbit vets who in turn put them down.....quote,
          they are bleeding to death....wrong. Spaying, with a vet that knows
          rabbits, will solve the problem. As a rescue, I have seen this situation as
          early as 18 months. We spay all of our girls ASP because of this. BUT, I
          also want to say there are very few vets that "know rabbits" and I see and
          hear of many injustices due to a lack of bunny knowledge by vets. Best
          advice, check with local rescues...many websites will help, but are in no
          way 100%. If you want to talk further, you can call my cell 410-991-0783,
          but VHD in my opinion is not the issue. Carole www.bunnymagic.org

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010