What are the symptoms of VHDR?

  • drivingmom57
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi, I'm Terri... newbie to your group. I've been trying to research
      VHDR, but haven't found much. My kids raise mini rex for show and I
      raise Cal/Satin/NZ for the freezer. Thanks in advance, Terri
    • Kimberlee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
        Hi,

        By VHDR, I presume you are referring to Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease?

        Please check out the latest RVHD information on the ShowBunny website:
        HYPERLINK
        "http://www.showbunny.com/RVHD/index.html"http://www.showbunny.com/RVHD/inde
        x.html

        The fact sheet found at HYPERLINK
        "http://www.showbunny.com/RVHD/aphis_facts.html"http://www.showbunny.com/RVH
        D/aphis_facts.html contains information as to the signs and symptoms.

        RIC put together a fact sheet as well HYPERLINK
        "http://www.showbunny.com/RVHD/ric_fact_sheet.html"http://www.showbunny.com/
        RVHD/ric_fact_sheet.html the symptoms are described as listed below.

        Symptoms and Forms of the Disease:

        The disease seems to appear in three ways; the first and most common is
        called PERACUTE and is simply a dead rabbit in the cage from one visit to
        the next.

        The ACUTE form is represented by a lethargic, depressed, off-feed animal
        that dies in the space of 12 days, shows incoordination and signs of pain
        before death, and may show clear or bloodstained nasal froth or discharge. A
        temperature of 105-106 degrees F may be present upon initial examination.

        A small number (<5%) may survive up to two weeks with symptoms including
        jaundice, diarrhea and mucous in the stool, but this is much less commonly
        seen.

        The third form, called SUBACUTE or transient, is much milder; the rabbit may
        show some signs of illness, then recover and are immune.

        This is the most likely source of an asymptomatic carrier animal, as
        infective material is shed in urine and feces for at least 30 days, and the
        animal itself may act as a carrier for far longer. This form is most common
        in animals under 4 months of age, and less common in older animals.

        As of to date there are no current or known outbreaks in the USA or Canada.
        New Zealand was scheduled to release the virus in the Wanganui-Manawatu
        Region in mid-July to control feral rabbit populations. I have not as yet
        followed up on that to know if it has been done yet or not. There are
        several areas throughout the world that RVHD is endemic, so it would help to
        know where in the world you are located as to your potential for exposure to
        the disease.

        I hope this helps somewhat, please feel free to email if you have any
        further questions or concerns

        Kimberlee Malins

        beabun@...

        HYPERLINK
        "http://www3.telus.net/raisinghouserabbits/"http://www3.telus.net/raisinghou
        serabbits/

        _____

        Hi, I'm Terri... newbie to your group. I've been trying to research
        VHDR, but haven't found much. My kids raise mini rex for show and I
        raise Cal/Satin/NZ for the freezer. Thanks in advance, Terri

        _

      • Pamela Alley
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
          All of the info you need can be found at http://www.showbunny.com ; just go
          to the homepage and the link is prominently displayed in the middle of the
          right side. (Big yellow box LOL).

          It will take you to the site Kimberlee posted (the link fried in
          translation).

          Usually the first sign and symptom is death; usually multiple deaths in a
          relatively short period of time (within a week or two) and may be confused
          with heat prostration/stroke or hemorrhagic septicemia.

          If there is ANY doubt in your mind about why a rabbit died, get a necropsy
          done at the nearest veterinary pathology laboratory--not your local
          vet!--and find what the most likely cause was, and perhaps the actual agent
          involved.

          Hope that helps!

          Pamela Alley, RVT
          Director, Rabbit Industry Council