Sudden rabbit death

  • garmingpsv
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      I live in Northern Kentucky and had a pet rabbit of approx 6 years of
      age die suddenly last night. Rabbit stopped consuming food approx.
      24-
      48 hours before death, stopped taking water less than 12 hours.
      Other
      symptoms were marked by sudden lethargy 36 hours before death.
      Previous day rabbit had been active and had normal appetite. No
      other
      rodents in home, although rabbit was allowed to run free in the yard.

      No previous illnesses or injuries.

      Does this rabbit need to be examined for RHD?
    • PShi373973@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        Yes, just to be safe given what has been going on but don't panic. Did the
        animal bleed in any way. Running lose is fun for them but they are exposed to
        so much that way. Coccidiosis, poisoning, has it been hot where the rabbit is
        kept? Sorry about your pet, I'm sure that it will be missed.

        Paula Shipman
        The Velveteen Rabbitry
        Hanover In.

      • JnllDxn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          Have a noecropsy done by a vet just to be on the safe side. :)

        • Christine Macey
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005

            >I live in Northern Kentucky and had a pet rabbit of approx 6 years of
            >age die suddenly last night. Rabbit stopped consuming food approx.
            >24-48 hours before death, stopped taking water less than 12 hours.
            >Other symptoms were marked by sudden lethargy 36 hours before death.

            I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. There is no way you can know for
            sure what happened without a necropsy. Put the rabbit in the refrigerator
            and get to vet ASAP (that said, I know this is a late post).

            As already said, it could be the heat, coccidia or GI stasis which
            results from several different etiologies. My bunny was fine one night,
            then the next day didn't come out to eat, and by 11 PM he was dead. The
            vet only found two different types of coccidia in his fecal. That was at
            the E-clinic and I didn't necropsy so I don't know if that had anything to
            do with it or not, but he showed no symptoms.

            My friend's house rabbit up and died suddenly and was found to have a
            pneumonia and she didn't even know it. This was a much-paid-attention-to
            rabbit, but they mask their symptoms well.

            > No other rodents in home, although rabbit was allowed to run free in the
            yard.

            My bunnies wanted me to remind people that they are not rodents,
            although there is nothing inherently bad about being one

            >Does this rabbit need to be examined for RHD?

            Thank you for being responsible and concerned enough to think of
            this. It wouldn't hurt. I doubt you have myxo there as we do here, but if
            you did that would be a possibility. I think a 6 year old rabbit is much
            more likely to have passed from things more common though.

            Take care,
            Christine